Ethernet switch failing?

Hello,
I have a netgear 5 port ethernet switch I am using to communicate over ethernet with network of computers. The "main" computer is using dhcp to assign IPs to all of the slave computers. The switch is powered by a surge protector. I have had to replace 3 of these switches, any ideas why (other than power surge) these switches wouldbe failing so frequently?
3 answers Last reply
More about ethernet switch failing
  1. Are these the little dark blue ones with a metal case. If so, I have had a couple of these go bad on me too. It's possible that netgear was having a quality control issue. I did notice that these switches ran hot, at least hotter than you would expect a switch to, so it may be a heat related problem too.
  2. Yes! I just found out that these are now End Of Life, due to their failure rate. Most people now recommend the f108 (similar, only 8 port instead of 5).

Turns out, I did not have a hardware issue at all...I had 2 instances of a DHCP Server running. Therefore my network was all jammed up. Solution: Uninstall one of the Servers, there should have never been more than one anyway.

The fact that I had two of these switches fail before my other network issues was purely conicedental. Either way I would never recommend one of these (Netgear f105).

Anyway, thanks for the input.
  3. Glad you got it solved, and yes, you should never have more than one DHCP server on the network.
Ask a new question

Read More

Routers Ethernet Switch Computers Ethernet Card Networking