Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Factory oc gtx 670 or amd 7970 ghz edition

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 5, 2012 8:10:35 AM

Hi everyone I know this question has been asked but I havn't been able to find stats since the new driver update for amd. I'm building a new pc shortly for mostly gaming on a 1920x1080p monitor. I will just be sticking with one screen and most likely will be adding a second graphics card next year (when I can buy another one cheap). I can't decide between a gigabyte gtx 670oc http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=1... or a gigabyte 7970 ghz edition http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=1.... From previous entries the gtx 670 was better however I'm not sure about the new driver update. Has the 7970 ghz edition now become better and if it has does the small performance increase make up for lack of physx, lower power consumption ect. I also will be looking at slightly overclocking both of them and what will be easier sli or crossfire? Thanks for all the help.
November 5, 2012 8:24:17 AM

From what i know the 7970 Ghz edition is better than the 680 GTX even, the 670 GTX wouldn't stand a chance, of course depends on the gaming you plan on making, a 670 GTX could be enough and some money saving and nvidia drivers are way better than amd drivers for the most part but you will indeed see more performance with the 7970ghz
Of course it also depends on the rest of your system, maybe a 7970 wouldn't make sense, maybe not even the 670 GTX.
November 5, 2012 8:28:11 AM

Jacko1235 said:
Hi everyone I know this question has been asked but I havn't been able to find stats since the new driver update for amd. I'm building a new pc shortly for mostly gaming on a 1920x1080p monitor. I will just be sticking with one screen and most likely will be adding a second graphics card next year (when I can buy another one cheap). I can't decide between a gigabyte gtx 670oc http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=1... or a gigabyte 7970 ghz edition http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=1.... From previous entries the gtx 670 was better however I'm not sure about the new driver update. Has the 7970 ghz edition now become better and if it has does the small performance increase make up for lack of physx, lower power consumption ect. I also will be looking at slightly overclocking both of them and what will be easier sli or crossfire? Thanks for all the help.

I'm for AMD Radeon HD 7970, it gets better as new drivers comes out, and actually, the 7970 is on the range of gtx 680. BUT if you plan to do multiple setup later get the gtx 670, HD 7970 is a pain to deal with when it comes to multiple setup. Everyone feel free to correct me just to make sure,.
Related resources
November 5, 2012 8:47:38 AM

Testgamma1 said:
I'm for AMD Radeon HD 7970, it gets better as new drivers comes out, and actually, the 7970 is on the range of gtx 680. BUT if you plan to do multiple setup later get the gtx 670, HD 7970 is a pain to deal with when it comes to multiple setup. Everyone feel free to correct me just to make sure,.

I have 2 7970 and i don't have any problem with them, the setup is easy and simple, just a powerful PSU required :p 
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2012 8:53:09 AM

670 is also getting boost from its new drivers 310 which also gives a boost it seems that gtx 670 would be good choice as you are running a single monitor
November 5, 2012 9:33:39 AM

Thanks for the responses. I will be pairing this with an i5 3570k so I don't think the cpu will throttle the gpu. I live in Australia so unfortunately I cannot buy of newegg. The gtx 670 is about $40 cheaper or about 8% which is always handy and I could use this towards a cpu cooler. Also I will most likely go with dual gpu's next year so sli could be a better option. As well if new drivers are coming out for nvidia which makes the difference only a few percentiles then I can't really see the point in going with the 7970ghz edition. Does anyone actually have any figures on what the new driver update has done to the performance of the 7970ghz edition. Also the gtx 670 is factory overclocked so it's performance is very, very close to a stock 680.

Best solution

a c 84 U Graphics card
November 5, 2012 9:36:40 AM

sli will be a good option but next year there will be more new gpus which u can buy instead of sling a older one:) always a single card setup is good:) but it totally depends on you you can sell this one and get new one or just sli it depends on your gaming needs too:) nvidia is always making good drivers no worry for that:) yes oced gtx 670 performance is very close to stock gtx 680 and if u will overclock it it will go past gtx 680:) 
November 6, 2012 8:08:05 AM

Best answer selected by Jacko1235.
!