Need some advice about my build + overclocking.

Th0m3v

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Hello, after I've had my computer build for a while, I realized that it is far from successful, and I need some advice on some upgrades in the computer. First of all I need a new motherboard for my build, my current motherboard is limited to 1333MHz RAM, and there are no good overclocking possibilities. So I need help on getting a motherboard that will fit my needs, and nothing more. I need a motherboard that can manage to overclock my CPU to a decent level, I don't want alot of the pro-features that you'd pay alot of money for, I just need a decent motherboard that will carry me through the games on a decently overclocked CPU, along with a standard BenQ 24".

I'm also in the marked for a decent CPU cooler, I do realize that I will need something else than my stock cooler if I'm going to do any overclocking.

And one final question about my build is that my GTX 660Ti can't be overclocked very well on my current build, I'm overclocking it with MSI Afterburner and I can't set the Core Speed & Memory Clock any higher than about 125+ (about 5% of the entire meter) before the video-driver will crash when running MSI Kombustor or any other game for that matter.

I do realize I'm asking alot here, but this is my first time I've ever put a Gaming Computer together, so I'm pretty new to all of this. So I hope some of you smart people out there can answer some of my questions! Thanks in advance!

MOBO: MSI B75MA-P45, Socket-1155
CPU: Intel i7 2700k
GPU: Gainward GeForce GTX 660 Ti Physx
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 8GB CL9
PSU: Corsair CX 500W PSU BULK 80+

With a motherboard upgrade, you'll need a new windows license (for OEM versions). What is you budget for the motherboard? In the meantime, I would suggest looking at some motherboards with the Z68 chipset to see what features are offered that you want/need.

Th0m3v

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Are you saying that I need to buy a new license for my Windows 8 when I buy a new motherboard? :eek: Isn't this like installed on the hdd?
Im looking for a motherboard of around max $200.

Unless you have the retail version of windows, yes, it will need to be re-licensed through MS, the license is tied to the motherboard. Everything else can be swapped without that requirement. Retail versions only stipulate that it is installed one one machine at a time - that and retail versions get MS support. Trying to run a new motherboard on the old windows installation would probably result in the system hanging at the 'loading windows' screen.
On to your motherboard choices...
Only a few Z68 boards would be out of your budget. Are there any specific features (other than the ability to overclock) that you want/need? Firewire, ability to add more graphics cards in SLI, etc... and any specific brands you do/don't want to look at

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^

OEM vs. Retail

OEM Windows 7 comes preinstalled on computers. This is the cheapest way to buy windows. Large PC manufacturers like Dell, HP etc. (collectively called royalty OEMs) install windows on millions of such PCs. The main characteristics of such systems are:

The license agreement and support agreement is between you and the PC maker, not MS.

Activation by the end user is not required. Windows is preactivated at the factory by the OEM using images and standard SLP keys.

Your copy of windows is locked to that PC. The license is not transferable.

OEM system builder is what you get when you buy from say Newegg or from a local "white box" vendor. It too has the characteristics of Royalty OEM windows. Although it is possible for an individual to buy a System Builder copy, the license requires that the software be installed using the OPK (OEM preinstall kit) and then resold.

Retail version is what you buy from a retailer like Amazon or Bestbuy. Its a full price version that comes packaged in a retail box with a retail product key. It has to be activated online via MS servers using the key on the box, it is not tied to the PC it was first installed on, though it can only be used on a single computer at a time. And, MS directly provides the support for it. It is also more expensive than OEM copies.

As far as functionality is concerned, theres no difference between any of the versions above, given any specific edition (i.e. between OEM pro and retail pro, or between OEM ultimate and retail ultimate).

sevenforums.com

Windows 8 OEM is a whole different ballgame.

License agreement for the transfer of a Windows 8 license
http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.aspx

Th0m3v

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012

Hey again, I won't be needing firewire or SLI. I'm kinda new to this thing, I don't really know what really a good motherboard does compared to other motherboards, other than the features like I've just mentioned. I really just want the ability to overclock my processor for better performance. And saying that - will I actually be getting a greater performance in games if I for instance increase my 2700k from 3,5GHz to 4,2GHz for instance. (I'm running Gainward GeForce 660 Ti)

That motherboard should work just fine - Z68 was the predecessor to the Z77 chipset but you should be aware that there are limitations that are not obvious when using a Sandy Bridge CPU with the Z77 chipset. Some features stated as supported are only supported with an Ivy Bridge CPU. All, in all though, you do get all the features of the Z68 board so it shouldn't be a problem.