NVIDIA 700 series speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcticle

Jul 29, 2012
How expensive do you think the 760, 770, and 780 will be? Should I wait for them to come out, or is it worth simply buying two 670 for $350 each. I don't want to be spending $800 for a card that can't outperform two 670s... If you know what I mean? I'm on a budget here... :wahoo:

Solution
There no time to waste there is gaming to be done don't ask these sorts of questions every second counts your wasting time when you should be gaming dam it! X2 GTX 670 = FTW!
If it were me, id just get two 670's. From my understanding, NVIDIA only going for more cooler and power efficient GK *** chip's and only at most anywhere from 5% to 15% in performance increase. As long as your board does two way your fine. Price wise the 700 series is going to be about the same but you can expect they might jack the price up slightly by 35-60$ on the mid range stuff. High end should stay about the same. We have a while before NVIDIA releases Maxwell in 2014 at earliest, but from the notes ive read before it will be well worth the money

they will cost an arm and a leg, they will be faster than the 600's
there will be always something coming out around the corner. you can wait for the 700's to come out, if you wait longer the 700's will get a price drop because of amd and so on

Who knows?
But, a new card will not sell unless it is much stronger than anything available today, and that card will be very expensive.
Otherwise, the new card has to beat the current price/performance level. That will not happen until the mfg tech goes smaller than 28nm, down to 20nm. Most likely, you will see 10% better price performance in the value cards.

My take is to buy what you need today.
When your needs/wants change, sell it and replace with the next best thing.

If your budget is $700 for 2 GTX670 cards plus a 750w psu and a sli capable motherboard, OK.
If you will be using only a single monitor, consider buying only one GTX670 or GTX680.
You will game very well with that.
Save the rest for when you really need more.

G

the 700 series cards won't be released until next spring/summer and speculation is ~15% increase in performance. not sure if that is worth waiting that long for.

arcticle

Jul 29, 2012
Interesting... i hear AMD's 800 series is *just* around the corner. What is your take on THAT? Lately AMD has not been doing too hot... Should I even consider an AMD-made card?

On a price/performance basis, amd and nvidia are competitive.
Pick your favorite amd/nvidia.

The amd 8000 series may well appear at the end of the year. But without a 20nm based chip, I would not expect anything magical.
Costs can not go down much without a more cost efective mfg process.
I think Nvidia is prepared for a counter, but is waiting for amd to launch first.

depending on how well nvidia are doing they can delay it further. with maxwell we should see the first nvidia discrete gpu combine with ARM core. but it might limited to tesla line up though because so far there is no reason to put ARM core into gaming card like geforce.

last i heard amd might release their next 'gen' in late Q1 or early Q2 which is just in time nvidia going to release their next (also rumored to be).

well maybe that is what the big K for. rumor has it the upcoming radeon will have 30% increase performance but some other said it is more like 15% at most. we need more rumor or 'leak' on the specification before we can further speculate how the performance will be

there are sticky thread for it but mod decided to close the thread :)

Anik8

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010

Actually these Kepler GPUs are using ARM32 powered cuda cores.The maxwell GPUs will be using ARM64 based cuda cores.

arcticle

Jul 29, 2012

I have strayed from my inner gamer roots, you are right! I will purchase my GPU and CPU IMMEDIATELY and work my way to gaming enlightenment! :pt1cable:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS