Canon Rebel lens help. What about Sigma lenses?? Any good?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
May 30, 2005 4:15:04 PM

Canon Rebel lens help. What about Sigma lenses?? Any good?

I was looking at the sigma lenses.
My question is how good are they & will they allow me to use all the
features on my camera?
For example...
I can only adjust mt F-Stop on my camera NOT on the canon lenses.
I see that the Sigma lenses have the F-Stop adjustments on the lens itself.
Can I still adjust my F-Stop through the camera with the SIgma?
If not, how will full auto mods ever work?
Thanks for your help & advice/
Ray

http://www.USENETHOST.com 100% Uncensored , 100% Anonymous, 5$/month Only!
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 3:55:31 PM

"nik" <nikkiee@nikkiee.com> writes:
> Canon Rebel lens help. What about Sigma lenses?? Any good?
>
> I was looking at the sigma lenses.
> My question is how good are they & will they allow me to use all the
> features on my camera?

Yes, if you buy new EOS mount Sigma lenses, functionality will not be
impaired at all.

Like any manufacturer, Optical quality varies by lens model though, so
surf the review sites. They make some gems and they make some turds
(just like Canon does).

Now, there are issues with old Sigma lenses on new EOS cameras, but
that's not an issue for your question.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

"nik" <nikkiee@nikkiee.com> wrote in message
> Canon Rebel lens help. What about Sigma lenses?? Any good?
>
> I was looking at the sigma lenses.
> My question is how good are they & will they allow me to use all the
> features on my camera?

Sigma lenses vary as to quality, but a new EOS mount Sigma lens will allow
you full functionality.
> For example...
> I can only adjust mt F-Stop on my camera NOT on the canon lenses.

That is the way with most SLR/DSLR cameras presently in production.

> I see that the Sigma lenses have the F-Stop adjustments on the lens
> itself.

What lenses are these? Neither of the EF (Canon) mount Sigmas I have have
aperture control on the lens.

> Can I still adjust my F-Stop through the camera with the SIgma?

Yes.

> If not, how will full auto mods ever work?

Not an issue.

> Thanks for your help & advice/
> Ray

As an aside, I bought a Sigma 17-35 f2.8-4 EX HSM a few years ago. After I
switched to digital, I found that the lens was very soft with the higher res
camera I use now (20D). Plus it is prone to purple fringing. I just
replaced it this week with the Canon 16-35 f2.8, which is magnificent in
comparison.
--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

In article <841x7fqvb0.fsf@ripco.com>, Todd H. <t@toddh.net> wrote:

Save yourself some grief, spend the extra $$$, and buy a Canon lens.
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 12:34:35 AM

and "nik" <nikkiee@nikkiee.com> wrote in message
> > I see that the Sigma lenses have the F-Stop adjustments on the lens
> > itself.
>
> What lenses are these? Neither of the EF (Canon) mount Sigmas I have have
> aperture control on the lens.
I wonder Nik was looking at a Sigma lens designed for Nikon cameras?
I _think_ some of these had an aperture ring on the lens for compatibility
with older bodies.

(Sorry if I've got this wrong but I'm an EOS and FD user.)

Regards, Ian.
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 1:53:53 AM

"Fred Anonymous" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message
news:D 84so7$ego$1$830fa795@news.demon.co.uk...
> "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote in message
> and "nik" <nikkiee@nikkiee.com> wrote in message
>> > I see that the Sigma lenses have the F-Stop adjustments on the lens
>> > itself.
>>
>> What lenses are these? Neither of the EF (Canon) mount Sigmas I have
>> have
>> aperture control on the lens.
> I wonder Nik was looking at a Sigma lens designed for Nikon cameras?
> I _think_ some of these had an aperture ring on the lens for compatibility
> with older bodies.
>
> (Sorry if I've got this wrong but I'm an EOS and FD user.)
>
> Regards, Ian.

He could have been, or looking at FD mount Sigma lenses...

--
!