Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Upgrades for a dell dimension 2400?

Last response: in Systems
December 23, 2012 5:36:59 PM

My aunt recently gave my mother her old dell dimension 2400 so she could do things like check email and do taxes. I was asked to clean it up and make sure it works.

I tried to run firefox and google chrome on this thing and it can have about two tabs open before it the browser stops responding.

Is there any upgrades for this thing? (Since they refuse to just buy a new one, that's the only thing I can do.)

I'll have to provide the spec page from dell since this thing cannot run speccy or other similar programs.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/e...

Now what I do know about it is that is has a single core processor and 2GB of ram at 133mhz

Again, all they need is something that can get online and run things like wordpad.

Also I believe the HDD is bad or going bad because when it runs I'll hear a clicking nose every once in a while.

December 23, 2012 5:42:36 PM

Put it down dude, it done lived its life. Rip out the motherboard, processor, and ram. Slap in an i3 or amd 6300 which is $105 at newegg. I mean there really is no saving this thing. Its too old. You will need to rebuild.
December 23, 2012 6:23:51 PM

I agree. I've had my share of trying to keep nine-year-old Dells working, and it's just not worth it. The parts in it are just waiting to fail. If you live near a Microcenter you can usually find a G-series Ivy Bridge-based Dell for $299 on sale (without monitor).
Related resources

Best solution

December 23, 2012 9:17:14 PM

Praxeology said:
Put it down dude, it done lived its life. Rip out the motherboard, processor, and ram. Slap in an i3 or amd 6300 which is $105 at newegg. I mean there really is no saving this thing. Its too old. You will need to rebuild.

You'd have to gut EVERYTHING to upgrade this and the case isn't even worth saving.

It's junk. You'd be better off with a cheaper refurb like this: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=DC5700S-C2D186-...

vs trying to save that one.
December 24, 2012 12:21:53 PM

Hi, smoats,
You do NOT really need to upgrade! I have two of those and they are good computers! For what your mother will be doing it will be fine. I Think that there may be a virus on it. Reformat the hard drive, and reinstall the operating system! Hope this helps! :)  PS: YOUR HARD DRIVE IS FINE I THINK. SOME HDDS JUST MAKE CLICKING NOISES.
December 26, 2012 5:39:24 PM

Best answer selected by smoats.
!