Power down issue less than a seconds after power up.

ChipButty

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
Hi all,

I'm having an issue with a build right now, this is actually my first time trying to build a full PC from scratch and this is the first problem I've hit.

I'm stumped so hopefully you guys can give me a help in hand.

System

Motherboard - P8H67M_LE

RAM - 2x 4gb Corsair Vengeance low profile DDR3 ram

CPU - Intel® Core™ i3-2100 Processor (3M Cache, 3.10 GHz)

PSU - Win Power 634 wat PSU

I've not connected a HDD or GPU or any other none essentials as of yet until I know this system can power up.

So the actual problem, when I press the power button on all fans/LEDs seem to power up for no more than a second, then everything just powers down.

I've tried keeping my finger on the power button and the same thing happens, the confusing part of all this though, is that the light on the motherboard is on as long as the power is on and connected which again is somewhat confusing to me.

I've tried using 1 stick of ram at a time in each slot with both sticks and the same problem occurs. I cannot see this being some kind of thermal shutdown unless some sensor somewhere is playing up due to how long the system is powered for.

None of these parts are brand new, everything is second hand which will probably make the diagnosis harder.

I'm known for missing simple problems after spending hours on other more complicated stuff so please feel free to throw the most obvious of things I may of missed my way because it is very possible I've just bypassed them completely.

Thank you all in advance,

Nathan.

the problem can be anything

1) graphic card or any pci pheriperal. please remove them
2) your PSU looks suspicious. try using your friend's PSU to test your setup. any tested working PSU will do. or you can use trusted antec, corsair, xfx PSU
Win Power 634 wat PSU is not a reputable brand which means it has likely more chance to fail

ChipButty

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
There are no GPU's or any other devices inserted to the PCI slots at all, just one stick of memory and the CPU and fans.

I've just tried another PSU which I know works and the same problem persists.

Any ideas?

orthokid

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
I checked the motherboard and CPU, Motherboard support 3rd generation CPUs and the CPU is 2nd generation. I believe this is your problem.

Any motherboard that supports an ivy bridge chip will also support sandy.

ChipButty

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012

Nope, there are only 6 standoffs on the Micro ATX those 6 pieces with the nut a screw are the only things touching the mobo, the mobo plate is currently sat on a piece of cardboard.

ChipButty

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012

Yes on both PSU's the green light is always on, when I press the power button a red light does briefly come on next to the main power cable connected to the mobo before powering down.

No idea what relevance this had though.

ChipButty

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
Sigh I'm an idiot, I cannot believe I did not have power going to the CPU.

How I missed this is quite worrying...really...