Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Gigabyte HD 7970 thoughts/opinions?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Gigabyte
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 5, 2012 1:05:09 PM

Hey all,

I posted this to the AMD Radeon forum, and thought that it may have been a better idea to post it here.

About to buy a video card for my new build. I have been set for a week or so on the MSI GTX 670 PE, but then today saw this deal on a Gigabyte HD 7970.

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=67547&vpn=GV-R797OC-3...

It is the same price as the GTX 670 PE, and I am thinking of nabbing it instead.

My question to you is, is it a good overclocker? I was getting the 670 PE mainly because that specific card is an excellent overclocker. I have had some trouble finding any recent, good overclocking info regarding the card I linked above. All I can find is info regarding the 7970 SOC edition, which I do not want.

If anyone has any knowledge regarding this card please fill me in. It looks solid to me, and the one review I found on it showed that the cooler was an excellent cooling option, but that's about all I've found.

Cheers,

HMF

More about : gigabyte 7970 thoughts opinions

a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2012 1:13:28 PM

I don't have that specific card but my Gigabyte 7870, which is not supposed to be a good overclocker, is running rock solid @ 1225/1350 with a tiny voltage increase and is whisper quiet. It is my first Gigabyte product and I couldn't be happier. As for the 7970, I believe it is a better overclocker than the 670 overall so I wouldn't look back!
m
0
l
a c 186 U Graphics card
November 5, 2012 1:48:50 PM

Go for which ever you prefer i own two 670PE's there beast!I am sure that 7970 is a nice card if you prefer amd go for it.I don't have specific info on that card.
m
0
l
Related resources
November 5, 2012 1:54:51 PM

Yeah, I don't really have a preference. Just want the best bang for my buck. I know the 670 PE will perform as well as a stock 7970, but an overclocked 7970 will certainly beat it.
m
0
l
a c 186 U Graphics card
November 5, 2012 1:57:16 PM

HMF said:
Yeah, I don't really have a preference. Just want the best bang for my buck. I know the 670 PE will perform as well as a stock 7970, but an overclocked 7970 will certainly beat it.
The 670 PE will beat a stock 7970 but it won't beat a non reference 7970 that's overclocked ;) 
m
0
l
November 5, 2012 2:01:24 PM

bigcyco1 said:
The 670 PE will beat a stock 7970 but it won't beat a non reference 7970 that's overclocked ;) 


Yeah exactly. My biggest concern is the reliability of the card. I have no experience with Gigabyte cards, and I do have experience with MSI cards as I have a MSI GTX 570 in my PC currently, and it has been solid.
m
0
l
a c 186 U Graphics card
November 5, 2012 2:05:04 PM

HMF said:
Yeah exactly. My biggest concern is the reliability of the card. I have no experience with Gigabyte cards, and I do have experience with MSI cards as I have a MSI GTX 570 in my PC currently, and it has been solid.
I always had bad luck with Gigabyte cards i would never buy one but i have friends that have had great experience with them so i really can't offer any advice there sorry
m
0
l
November 5, 2012 2:46:15 PM

bigcyco1 said:
I always had bad luck with Gigabyte cards i would never buy one but i have friends that have had great experience with them so i really can't offer any advice there sorry


Yeah. Well the opinions that I have seen on Newegg seem very mixed regarding the card. Problems ranging fro BIOS issues to nasty coil whine abound.

I may just stick with the 670 PE. Thanks for the chat. ;D
m
0
l
a c 186 U Graphics card
November 5, 2012 2:50:22 PM

HMF said:
Yeah. Well the opinions that I have seen on Newegg seem very mixed regarding the card. Problems ranging fro BIOS issues to nasty coil whine abound.

I may just stick with the 670 PE. Thanks for the chat. ;D
Your welcome!And yeah i seen all the youtube videos of the coil whine issue that sucks
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2012 2:53:53 PM

My friend owns a Gigabyte 7950 and it's a fantastic card. OCs really well so I can only imagine how much better the 7970 OCs. He doesn't have any issues with the card either, no coil whine, loud fans, etc...
m
0
l
!