Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Dual Monitor White Screen Freeze

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 5, 2012 1:30:55 PM

This seems to be a bit different than some other threads, here goes:

Windows 7 (64) Home. 16Gig RAM. AMD 6 Core. I run two monitors, the main is a Hanns G 27" and the other is a I-INC 19" (1024x768). Also I have a NVidia GeForce 9500 GT (1-Gig) running both monitors.
When the machine is up and running the second monitor will at random, go all white, which is a precursor to the crash as I know that the system is about 3-4 seconds from freezing; the main monitor turns dark gray and that's it - the system seems completely locked at that point. I cannot access the task manager, or use the CTRL+Alt+Del keys. Nothing left but a hard-boot.

I have had this happen with Firefox browser open and closed, with Outlook open and closed, as well as other programs. I cannot find anything in particular to cause this malfunction. I am thinking this could be the graphics card. Any ideas on how to check?
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 5, 2012 3:14:17 PM

How hot is that 9500 getting?
Score
November 5, 2012 4:15:11 PM

Although I have 4 case fans giving me positive case pressure and directed cooling, I did just check the Graphics Card fan and it was not working. I gave it a tap and it spun up. Not sure of the temp, but it was very warm. Intermittent fan failure could cause an overheating situation maybe?
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 5, 2012 4:18:14 PM

We found your problem. If that fan is stopping your card is getting too hot. I think it is time to buy a replacement. You can try hwmonitor to see your gpu temp.
Score
November 5, 2012 4:43:03 PM

Thanks for the software tip. GPU Running right now at 175 F
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 5, 2012 4:47:49 PM

175f is about 79c. That really isn't too hot. I'm assuming the fan was still turning when you saw that temp. Just out of curiousity try to watch the temp when the fan stops and see how hot it gets before it freezes.
Score
November 5, 2012 5:52:02 PM

I will keep an eye on it and see what happens. Thanks for your input!
Score
November 12, 2012 12:12:12 AM

wanderer11 said:
175f is about 79c. That really isn't too hot. I'm assuming the fan was still turning when you saw that temp. Just out of curiousity try to watch the temp when the fan stops and see how hot it gets before it freezes.

So far I have seen temps as high as 215f and as low as 136f. Have still crashed several times. I wish the software would keep a log after the crash so I could see what the numbers were - I do not see that option though.
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 12, 2012 10:12:39 AM

Those temps are too high. That's about 101C. You should get a new card. Want help picking one?
Score
November 12, 2012 2:33:57 PM

wanderer11 said:
Those temps are too high. That's about 101C. You should get a new card. Want help picking one?

Suggestions are always welcome :-) I do a little gaming, but not much (I think the most intensive game I have is Assassin's Creed) I do mostly web design and music production. So, I don't think I need to spend more than $100 on a card.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 12, 2012 2:35:53 PM

For $100? This 650 has two DVI outputs. I don't know if that's what you need or not.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
November 12, 2012 2:59:29 PM

Best answer selected by ShelbyGuy.
Score
!