Your question

How common is doa?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Sapphire
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 5, 2012 1:57:07 PM

I just bought a sapphire 7950 from newegg and i was wondering how common it is to recieve a broken GPU from sapphire. Also does anyone have experience with their tech support? how good or bad is it? some people say its terrible and others say its pretty good. i have used asus support and it is awful just wondering if theirs is worse.

More about : common doa

November 5, 2012 2:10:16 PM

Not common. But it does happen. I would post exactly what issues your having here first for advice. Just to make sure all possible troubleshooting steps are ruled out.

I'm sure the Toms community is just as good if not far far better then the tech support you'll get ;) .
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2012 2:17:11 PM

Sapphire came out and said they are aware of issues with their 7800 cards, but as far as I know the 7900 cards are fine. I doubt their support is any better than Asus. Every company I have ever dealt with had terrible support.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2012 2:35:26 PM

What's the issue?

Not to say this applies to you directly, but there seems to be a rash of people wanting to build their own PC's nowadays and order all the parts and get them together and it doesn't work and they start RMA'ing stuff or saying something is broken when they don't even understand simple things like what a BIOS is and boot order and things. I chalk most of the new build problems up to user error of people who don't know how to build to a PC.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2012 2:44:07 PM

The issue is black screen after sleep and flickering in games.
m
l
a c 217 U Graphics card
November 5, 2012 2:44:29 PM

I've had quite a few DOA cards, mostly from AMD more recently, but in the past, I had Nvidia issues. I'd bet nearly 20-25% of the cards I've had were bad from the start.
m
l
November 5, 2012 2:46:29 PM

I got a 7950 from AMD and I have not had an issue with it. Its been a pretty awesome card.

I've used Sapphire since back when the 2900xt was out.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2012 2:50:19 PM

@getochkn: That is how learning occurs. Several years ago, with the advent of SLI, a friend and I learned the importance of power supplies by a similar process. Frankly, if companies cared about saving money on RMAs (or customer service), they would hire better trained tech support that can help callers find the root issue and give the caller actual relevant advice. Otherwise, people either get lucky and find that all star tech support guy, or come to a site like this.

As for the OP: Are you certain the GPU is the problem? Right off the bat, you should post your PSU stats. A good 500W PSU should be plenty for the card, but a bad PSU will starve your GPU of power, and cause failed boots/crashing/etc. A whole description of your problem would let us give you some help, as you absolutely will have to pay shipping, and end up waiting several weeks; it's best to only have to do that once, if you just RMA things without finding the problem, you'll end up wasting a lot of time and money.
m
l
a c 297 U Graphics card
November 5, 2012 3:26:29 PM

lemongrassgogolo said:
I just bought a sapphire 7950 from newegg and i was wondering how common it is to recieve a broken GPU from sapphire. Also does anyone have experience with their tech support? how good or bad is it? some people say its terrible and others say its pretty good. i have used asus support and it is awful just wondering if theirs is worse.

If your 7850 is defective, Newegg has a 30 day return/replacement policy.
That will normally be the easiest thing to do.

If the card will not start at all, and your psu is adequate, return the card.
If the card works, but strange things happen, updating the drivers may fix them.

For what it is worth, I think EVGA has the best tech support forum and policies.
m
l
!