Need help choosing a GPU

wbt50

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:Gaming - Mostly BF3 at the moment, also looking to be playing Far Cry 3, Arma 3, Rome Total War 2 over next year.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: This is going towards a new build, I will be getting a Corsair Professional 750W PSU.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Going with the Asus P8Z77 - V, 8GB or 16GB of RAM and my case will be the NZXT Phantom(The Full Tower)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS:I Live in the UK but don't mind if you use other sites for references.

PARTS PREFERENCES: Don't mind at all

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe in the future
SLI OR CROSSFIRE:Maybe in the future

MONITOR RESOLUTION:1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I want a good value card with a decent future value

Thanks for any help

williamjuly2003

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
7970 and 670 trade blows in different games calling 1 faster is hardly correct!

The OP said he wanted Far Cry 3 so you should go for 7970 they have a deal right now that you get

FarCry3
HitMan
Sleeping Dogs

for free with purchase of your 7970 also with AMD new drivers 7970 has vsastly improved FPS on BF3.

williamjuly2003

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012

Physx is a gimmick I think so far only 1 game this year supports it which is Borderlands 2. No reason to go out of your way for something that isn't really supported.

Geforce:
CUDA
PhysX, TXAA, FXAA, ADap. Vsync
3D Surround

Radeon:
Eyefinity
APP
AMD3D

AMD press release just say PhysX will die.I highly doubt it either way isn't a big consideration but to me it's like sprinkles on an ice cream cone....if it's available in a game, I want it. It's supported in lots of great games http://www.geforce.com/games-applications/physx physx is NO gimmick. My personal experience is that Adaptive VSync makes my gaming experience smooth as silk. I don't use it on all my games, but it is nice to know that the option is there and that it works very well when needed. HardOCP, who did a full review on adaptive vsync, was impressed with it:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/04/16/nvidia_adaptive_vsync_technology_review/3

My 670 kick ass MSI's GTX 670 Power Edition uses the famous Twin Frozr IV cooler from the MSI Lightning and comes with a large clock speed boost out of the box, making its default clock speed even higher than GTX 680 stock clocks. MSI is asking $389.99 $369.99 after rebate for their card, which doesn't look unreasonable, given the improved cooling and higher clocks.My cards are solid and relatively consistent 15-20% faster then my sons 7950 which is also a great card overclocks decent i bought him Sapphire's HD 7950 Vapor-X comes with a large dual-fan cooler that uses the company's famous vapor-chamber technology. On the Vapor-X you will also find a "Lethal Boost" button which switches to a second BIOS with higher clock speeds. With this BIOS, clocks are increased to 950 MHz GPU and 1250 MHz memory.I would look at benchmarks and decide but both are great cards really and you couldn't go wrong either way

sorry but physx isn't a gimmick. it does enhance game play. there are lots of games that do support it and makes those games more appealing to the eyes. don't care if only 1 game ( i doubt that ) does support it this year....... I think about the games I have that use it and how often i run those games. and I do play games over and over. just loaded on of the painkiller games because of all the hype with the remake........... heck of a lot better than COD, MOH and BF games put together and the SP lasts a helluva lot longer.... ( yeah, I know it's not a physx game ) .. just sayin'.............

witcherx

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Both of these cards trade blows depends on what you wish to get....
Neither cards are going to disappoint you. They are both going to be awesome, and great performers.

the Higher Vram+bandwidth of 7950 + free goodies is really a good offer...

wbt50

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
Thanks for all the help guys, I guess I'll be going with a gtx 670, any links for a good card under £300 ?