Sign in with
Your question

~$1000 build, advice on PSU, opinions on the build

Last response: in Systems
December 23, 2012 10:47:32 PM

Hello,

this is my first post to this forum. If I missed any rules please let me know.

I am building a new system that needs to be future proof. In the past I have upgraded CPU's, memory and graphics cards to give the system a new boost.

I use the computer almost exclusively for programming. My main programming language is Scala, which needs to be compiled (and has a somewhat slow compiler). I will run virtual machines. Occasionally I play a game (if a good one comes out), that is 2 - 4 times a year. I currently use Windows but plan to move to Linux (Debian based), I have not (yet) checked the compatibility of the hardware with that. I will probably not overclock.

My current system is from 2007. Has an Intel quad core Q6666 and I upgraded the memory from DDR2 to DDR3 (4GB). 5 years seems long enough for someone who spends a lot of his time behind the screen, so it's time for a new system.

I have no preferred website for parts (i'm from Holland) but I saw that you guys use newegg a lot so I created a wishlist there: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

I choose an LGA 2011 based processor because of it's power and threads, it also gives me a nice path for upgrades in the future.

Intel Core i7-3820

I don't need any fancy stuff on the motherboard so the AsRock Extreme4 fits great.

ASRock X79 Extreme4 LGA 2011

I choose the G.SKILL Ripjaws because of their speed and timings

G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)

I have an existing case (Lian Li A05N) that I like. It will not easily fit a waterbased cooler so I choose an air based one.

ARCTIC Freezer i30

I do not use a lot of harddisk space (I have another system for storage), the last 5 years I was on a 70GB drive. An SSD will help with compiling.

SAMSUNG 840 Pro 128G

The price/value of this card looked good.

EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB

I have some problems choosing a power supply. What power supply do you recommend with the above components?

Any other advice, opinions or comments are welcome.

Thank you.
December 23, 2012 11:07:32 PM

on your ram instead of 4x4 get 8x2 that way you can upgrade in the future if needed and it will be better for space at current time. also a good power supply would be 750W corsair that way you could sli in the future if you want and you would never have to worry about it stopping on you because corsair is def the most reliable. i realize there a little exxpensive, but they are def worth it. if thats to high for you and you dont plan on sli, then get a 650W corsair it will push this config easily
December 24, 2012 7:45:23 AM

rusexy141 said:
on your ram instead of 4x4 get 8x2 that way you can upgrade in the future if needed and it will be better for space at current time. also a good power supply would be 750W corsair that way you could sli in the future if you want and you would never have to worry about it stopping on you because corsair is def the most reliable. i realize there a little exxpensive, but they are def worth it. if thats to high for you and you dont plan on sli, then get a 650W corsair it will push this config easily

^No. Do not get 8x2GB or 2x8GB, first one because its 2GB a stick, second is because 2011 is quad channel

Just get a hyper 212 evo since the CPU can't overclock and to keep the temps at a good place.

and since you will not be using much of the GPU, it can just be a very low end one like 7750 or 7770

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($287.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($194.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Mushkin Silverline 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($129.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7750 2GB Video Card ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $892.92
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-24 04:44 EST-0500)

think this will do you well with processing power. Of course you can just switch the i7 with an unlocked one if wanted and get a better cooler
Related resources
December 24, 2012 8:52:02 AM

rusexy141 said:
on your ram instead of 4x4 get 8x2 that way you can upgrade in the future if needed and it will be better for space at current time. also a good power supply would be 750W corsair that way you could sli in the future

Thanks for your reply!

I think that using 4 modules taps into the potential of the 4 channel memory architecture of the LGA 2011 platform. You got me thinking though about getting 32GB.

I will not use SLI (the card I selected does not support it).

I will check out the Coirsair PSU's
December 24, 2012 9:10:30 AM

Thank you for taking the time to help me and for the link to PCPartPicker, that seems like an awesome tool!

I guess saving money on the videocard is not a bad idea. I just have to step over my grudge (from long long ago) against ATI cards.

The cooler I picked was similar price / performance, but I guess the hyper 212 evo is the best here. I will look into it some more and will probably switch it.

The power supply looks like a nice one.

About the memory, it has these timings 11-11-11-28, what would the difference be with 7 8-8-24? G.Skill has a kit with those. It's about $100 more expensive, but since I am still within budget I could affort that.

Thanks again!
December 24, 2012 9:32:35 AM

This is a newegg deal for the next 48 hours. I thought you might be interested. Read the reviews though and see if other people's problems will bother you. Assuming your board isn't DOA, you'd be set with this freeing up 80 bucks for video card, or maybe to squeeze out some cash for the 3930k maybe? Maybe even on microcenter.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
December 24, 2012 9:50:24 AM

Praxeology said:
This is a newegg deal for the next 48 hours.

Thank you for the tip. The problem is that if I order something outside of the Netherlands, I would need to pay 21% VAT. I will have to search for deals here in the Netherlands.
December 24, 2012 9:52:24 AM

boulbox said:
and since you will not be using much of the GPU, it can just be a very low end one like 7750 or 7770

I forgot to mention in the original post that I use two monitors. Those cards seem to have only one DVI output. I will take your advice though and search for a cheaper GPU.
December 24, 2012 6:52:23 PM

For the Ram, it depends on how big the Ram are(GBs) and what speed they are clocked at. by using this kind of formula

speed/timing, you can get somewhat of an idea of how fast they go. So my ram, 1600/11=145.45, and there are rarely any 32GB Ram at the Cas of 7 so i do not know what kind of speed it would have.

You can also go with these ram
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/mushkin-memory-994017

but i just went with the 1600 because it was native to the 2011

If you are using 2 monitors having the 2Vram may help but i don't think you will be doing a lot of gaming anyways so you won't even see the bottlenecking

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvn650...

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-hd77702gd5
December 25, 2012 2:05:34 PM

Very over priced for what you can really get, not to mention his budget is at 1000
!