I have had a motherboard crash and when I went out and
bought a new board and put the whole thing together it
would not boot up. Called the board manufactor and was
told that there was a differant chipset on the hard drive
then the one now and therefore it would not work. Other
than formatting and losing the data is there another way
around this. I think I can get another hard drive and make
the old one the slave and copy all data over but trying
not to get into a new drive. Called a few of the comp
stores and they dont seem to know anyway around this
except to replace the drive and copy. In the later of this
I an getting an external hd to make backups, but still
wonder if there is another way around this. I was also
told to put in the new board and then put the xp Pro disk
in and click on repair and that this might also load in
the new chipsets. any ideas
thanks
xrepo@aol.com

Changing a motherboard (and in 99% that incurs a huge chipset change) and
just restarting the PC gives poor old XP a cardiac arrest.

The correct procedure is carefully detailed at Michael Stevens' website and
is called a Repair Installation.

If you have already installed SP2, you may want to consider making a
slipstreamed CD of XP which includes SP2.... you can then boot with your
newly created CD and the Repair Installation will include the SP2.

http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

Of course, to make the slipstreamed CD you will have to have access to
another PC - and the SP2 file - and a CD burner!
www.coribright.com

"John Fiorelli" <xrepo@aol.com> wrote in message
>I have had a motherboard crash and when I went out and
> bought a new board and put the whole thing together it
> would not boot up. Called the board manufactor and was
> told that there was a differant chipset on the hard drive
> then the one now and therefore it would not work. Other
> than formatting and losing the data is there another way
> around this. I think I can get another hard drive and make
> the old one the slave and copy all data over but trying
> not to get into a new drive. Called a few of the comp
> stores and they dont seem to know anyway around this
> except to replace the drive and copy. In the later of this
> I an getting an external hd to make backups, but still
> wonder if there is another way around this. I was also
> told to put in the new board and then put the xp Pro disk
> in and click on repair and that this might also load in
> the new chipsets. any ideas
> thanks
> xrepo@aol.com

Latest posts