Recently upgraded GPU, worth upgrading cpu/ram/mobo?

ch00se

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
Hello all,

Recently added a HD7870 into my rig. I've been using it a while now, while the performance has improved I was expecting a bit more out of the upgrade. I've been running DayZ and some other fps, as the card adequate to run the games I've been playing I'm wondering if upgrading any other components would see a significant performance increase?

Currently the textures in-game appear blurry and much less defined than I would have hoped.

In addition to the HD7870, I'm running the following:

CPU: Phenom II x4 955 (running with non-stock cooler)
Mobo: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
RAM: Patriot G Series 4GB DDR3

I also installed a SSD at the same time as my GPU so there would advantages to upgrading a mobo, little unsure whether the components I have are capable of putting out a decent level of performance for today's games or whether I should look to upgrade.

Any thoughts/input much appreciated!

orthokid

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
Upgrade your RAM, that will speed you up, and if you know how to you can overclock your CPU. 4Gb of RAM isnt much for a gaming rig and the graphics card uses some of your RAM, decreasing overall performance.

ch00se

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012

Thanks for the reply. I haven't OC'd yet but I intend to stress-test and find a good level soon - one of the reasons I bought the non-stock cooler for the CPU.

Say I buy a new set of RAM, would it not also be worth upgrading my mobo or is that sufficient?

orthokid

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012

Your M/B would be worth upgrading for future upgrades also, such as new CPU generations and higher RAM capacity, so yes, it would be worth it if you have to.

If your CPU is at stock speed, overclocking it will definitely help you - the 955 is a great oc'er.

You *don't* need any more RAM right now. 4gb is enough system memory for any game currently in existence . Your card will only use system RAM if it runs out of on board memory (and even then, only if it's allocated through windows). With a 2gb card, you're definitely not running out of on board memory with DayZ.

You are running a 64-bit OS, right?

ch00se

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012

Yes, I'm running 64-bit.

Some of the more demanding games I've been running (DayZ being the most) textures appear out of focus and very blunt, my fps also is not great. Nothing is overheating and I intend to OC my CPU soon, as soon as I get time to stress-test basically.

I'm just a little curious to why I'm lacking performance particular in DayZ given the fact the gamer itself is fairly dated.

Thanks all!