Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Should i buy a notebook or a desktop?

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 23, 2012 11:23:56 PM

Hello guys, im a student and i want your advice should i buy a notebook or a desktop
I have a desktop that shared with my family, the specs are:
Gtx 550ti
I5 2400
12gb of ram
Etc....

And my father ask me to buy one for my self
I have a option
Laptop : http://asia.cnet.com/product/acer-aspire-v3-471g-core-i...
(review)
Desktop: similar that i have now (probably lower)
My budget is 800 dollar
My computer usage is mostly for gaming such as spore,minecraft,assasins creed 3
And sometime i went to a lan party at my school

Note: i have a netbook with intel atom n450,gma3150,1gb of ram. The netbook is to slow for me, thats why i want to change to a better specs (neither desktop or laptop)

More about : buy notebook desktop

December 23, 2012 11:46:52 PM

If you're going to play games get a desktop. Laptop GPUs and CPUs are nowhere near the same equivalent as their desktop counterparts. Does the $800 budget include monitor/keyboard/mouse or not? And are you buying from the US or not?
m
0
l
December 23, 2012 11:54:11 PM

g-unit1111 said:
If you're going to play games get a desktop. Laptop GPUs and CPUs are nowhere near the same equivalent as their desktop counterparts. Does the $800 budget include monitor/keyboard/mouse or not? And are you buying from the US or not?

yes it does include a monitor,keyboard and mouse
m
0
l
Related resources
December 24, 2012 12:34:28 AM

the laptop that you gave us the link is so expansive at least do not buy it, and get a desktop.

general structure

cpu fx 4100/6100
motherboard 970
gpu hd7870
case,psu cheap,600W
hdd 32/64mb cache 7200/5400RPM 500/1000 GB
m
0
l
December 24, 2012 3:11:43 AM

oondun said:
the laptop that you gave us the link is so expansive at least do not buy it, and get a desktop.

general structure

cpu fx 4100/6100
motherboard 970
gpu hd7870
case,psu cheap,600W
hdd 32/64mb cache 7200/5400RPM 500/1000 GB

The link that I gave you is the higher model that I'm looking for
The actual model that I looking for is Acer 471g with
I7 3610qm
GT 640m (not LE)
4gb ram
750gig hdd
14 inch screen
Only 750 (converted in usd) dollar at my local store
So should I get this laptop instead of desktop?
m
0
l
December 24, 2012 3:58:42 AM

alditrip said:
The link that I gave you is the higher model that I'm looking for
The actual model that I looking for is Acer 471g with
I7 3610qm
GT 640m (not LE)
4gb ram
750gig hdd
14 inch screen
Only 750 (converted in usd) dollar at my local store
So should I get this laptop instead of desktop?


idk but for my ''philosophy'' you need to get an nice desktop first lol...

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/lenovo-lenovo-id...

that laptop will be $600 dolar at 24th/8pm only online. you can also think about that laptop
m
0
l

Best solution

December 24, 2012 5:18:09 PM

I went a bit over budget but this will be a far better system for gaming than any laptop you could ever purchase:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($129.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Mushkin Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($32.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($43.99 @ Computer Valley)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($84.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.82 @ DirectCanada)
Monitor: Acer V223WEJbd 22.0" Monitor ($124.99 @ Memory Express)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($96.99 @ Computer Valley)
Total: $890.73
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-24 14:17 EST-0500)
Share
December 31, 2012 10:14:05 PM

Best answer selected by alditrip.
m
0
l
!