Dual monitor setup questions

I have a 7770 and I currently use a. Acer 23" LED monitor. (1080p) I have decided its time to go to 2 monitors. I'm a junior in college and I usually am doing homework most of the time with facebook/youtube/itunes/etc open as well.

I used to use a Dell 19" LCD monitor (1440x900) before my recent round of upgrades.

My question to you is, How would you set this up in terms of monitor location and what would each one be used for? I like the idea of having one in front of my and one off the the right. Will it be weird with 2 different resolutions?

Feel free to post pictures of your dual monitor setups as well. Any input or direction would be appreciated. Thanks!

FWIW one monitor will be DVI and one will be DVI to VGA converted if that matters.

Location and how you use it is all up to you, most people I have seen have the main monitor on the left. Try things and see how it feels like.

It will be a bit different at first with different resolutions, but will work just fine and you'll be used to it after a few days and won't really notice it anymore.

I have similar setup at work. They are identical monitors, but the main one is on the left, directly in front of me with the monitor on right having work emails for it is important I not let them go too long without seeing them.

mace200200

Honorable
I also use two monitors on my 7770. One with an HDMI to DVI cable, and the other uses a DVI to VGA adapter. One is 1680x1050 and the other is 1024x768. All that I notice is that I don't have a lot of space on my smaller second one, things like core temp take up quite a bit of the monitor because it'll stay the same size as on the bigger one. Unless it's full screen on one and I move it to the other, then it adjusts itself. And indeed, I have my main one right in front of me and the second one is on a higher shelf up to the right.

Here's a nice picture I sent to one of my friends to show it off the other day: http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh639/mace200200/Dual%20monitors/IMG_0057.png

A clean desk is a sign of a sick mind!

Just kidding, nice setup.

Do the tops of the monitors not being lined up bother you? I have heard that with different monitor sizes you always want to line he tops up. Also, any trick for getting the contrast and color the same? One is an LCD and one is an LED.

I've had it aligned on bottom at first since both monitors are the same height. But have it aligned to the top so I have a hard edge around the start button. When dragging tabs over, I guess it is also easier with it aligned on top. (Chrome is better than firefox for this too.)

Lcd is the screen, led is the backlight, you mean to say ccfl and led as both are lcd. Mine are ccfl and led as well. But my samsung is horrible quality, the asus is better in every way. I had to open the samsung to replace the caps and found out it is actually a hanns g, not a samsung lcd. The color replication is horrible so colors will never be the same, contrast isn't too bad. It looks the same in the pic for some reason but in reality the samsung has a peach tint vs the asus that is blueish (although I don't really notice the blue and is a lot better in color accuracy).

I got them close enough so it doesn't bother me much. No matter what settings I changed, it won't change the fact that the samsung just sucks at color accuracy. In the end, all the color setting were set at 50 and I only adjusted brightness, contrast and gamma. I don't know of any tips really, it should be easy enough to see the differences and know what setting to change. But some people forget about gamma, it may be the most helpful sometimes.

Well due to the fact that I live in a 4 bedroom apartment here at college our rooms are quite small. Mine is like 8x10 or something like that with a queen bed that touches 3 walls. I will have to rearrange my desk space a bit but I will upload a picture once I get this all worked out. Thanks for the input everyone!