Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading 9400GT, $250 budget

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 5, 2012 6:32:42 PM

After searching for days and hours lol i still dont know what card to get, and a friend pointed me to this site for advice and help, if possible can i get opinions and advice what to upgrade to, atm im using the 9400 gt and i can barely handle games on medium settings, games feel slow and sluggish.

:my current specs:

Processor: AMD Phenom 9850 quad-core processor 2.50 GHz

Installed memory: 8.00 GB

System type: 64-bit Operating system, with windows 7 ultimate installed

Power supply: Xion 580W (used a watt calculator to get an estimate of how much im currently using and i ran numbers around 349, give or take)

Monitor resolution: 1440 x 900

System slots 6: PCI1 (available) - PCI2 (available) - PCIEx16_1 (in use) - PCIEx16_2 (available) - PCIEx1_1 (available) - PCIEx1_2 (available)

Motherboard: Asus M3N72-D

not sure if you need anymore info, if so please ask. Any help or advice is much appreciated, tyvm for your time!
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2012 6:45:54 PM

aaron771 said:
After searching for days and hours lol i still dont know what card to get, and a friend pointed me to this site for advice and help, if possible can i get opinions and advice what to upgrade to, atm im using the 9400 gt and i can barely handle games on medium settings, games feel slow and sluggish.

:my current specs:

Processor: AMD Phenom 9850 quad-core processor 2.50 GHz

Installed memory: 8.00 GB

System type: 64-bit Operating system, with windows 7 ultimate installed

Power supply: Xion 580W (used a watt calculator to get an estimate of how much im currently using and i ran numbers around 349, give or take)

Monitor resolution: 1440 x 900

System slots 6: PCI1 (available) - PCI2 (available) - PCIEx16_1 (in use) - PCIEx16_2 (available) - PCIEx1_1 (available) - PCIEx1_2 (available)

Motherboard: Asus M3N72-D

not sure if you need anymore info, if so please ask. Any help or advice is much appreciated, tyvm for your time!

So you just want to upgrade GPU? Spending $250 would be a waste for the resolution.

But if you could tell us what games you plan on playing we could get you the best card picked out. They perform differently in each title. So knowing what you play helps a lot.
Related resources
November 5, 2012 6:52:34 PM

yarmock said:
So you just want to upgrade GPU? Spending $250 would be a waste for the resolution.

But if you could tell us what games you plan on playing we could get you the best card picked out. They perform differently in each title. So knowing what you play helps a lot.

The pc itself still runs great but i just wanted to upgrade the card, i mostly game on mmos like vindictus, jade dynasty. other games would be like call of duty mw3, assassins creed, darksiders 2, dishonored, shogun 2, borderlands 2.
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2012 7:09:45 PM

aaron771 said:
The pc itself still runs great but i just wanted to upgrade the card, i mostly game on mmos like vindictus, jade dynasty. other games would be like call of duty mw3, assassins creed, darksiders 2, dishonored, shogun 2, borderlands 2.

I understand, but i would say don't spend $250 on the GPU.

a 7770 should power you through those games at that resolution.

If you want you can shell out an extra ~$40 and get a 7850, although that's probably overkill.
November 5, 2012 7:36:05 PM

yarmock said:
I understand, but i would say don't spend $250 on the GPU.

a 7770 should power you through those games at that resolution.

If you want you can shell out an extra ~$40 and get a 7850, although that's probably overkill.

thank you for your input! can i trouble you for a link of a 7770 you prefer?
November 5, 2012 7:48:04 PM

tyvm for the links im looking at them atm, if you guys have anymore opinions, go for it. im all ears. ty!
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2012 7:48:53 PM

Your cpu is less than Ideal. You could add a Phenom II x4 965 for $100 from newegg. That with the 7770 would make most games playable, even high settings in some.
!