Comparison of 2 DSLRs; 20D and E-300

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 1, 2005 12:44:56 AM

I took these at a Toronto camera store. Nothing done to them except
tweaking the brightness (10% more for the Canon) only
because the Sony display was pretty overwhelmingly bright.
These are crops from full sized images. Both cameras were set
at 400ISO with their best quality JPEGs. Standard kit zooms
were used.
I was going to include a 8 meg prosumer image, but lets just
say the noise level at 400ISO created some "interesting" patterns on
the faces of the patrons. Think "horror movie."

http://usera.imagecave.com/rander3127/myphotos/E-300.jp...

http://usera.imagecave.com/rander3127/myphotos/20D.jpg
June 1, 2005 9:14:12 AM

> I took these at a Toronto camera store. Nothing done to them except
> tweaking the brightness (10% more for the Canon) only
> because the Sony display was pretty overwhelmingly bright.
> These are crops from full sized images. Both cameras were set
> at 400ISO with their best quality JPEGs. Standard kit zooms
> were used.
> I was going to include a 8 meg prosumer image, but lets just
> say the noise level at 400ISO created some "interesting" patterns on
> the faces of the patrons. Think "horror movie."
>
> http://usera.imagecave.com/rander3127/myphotos/E-300.jp...
>
> http://usera.imagecave.com/rander3127/myphotos/20D.jpg

Ok, since lense are different, its apples to oranges. The E-300 shows
visible purple fringing. You may want to post FL, f-stop and shutter speed
for _each_ shot.

Even though the E-300 appears to be a noise machine, I must say that Oly ISO
400 does not mean the same thing as Canon ISO 400.

Musty.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 11:32:42 AM

RichA wrote:
> I took these at a Toronto camera store. Nothing done to them except
> tweaking the brightness (10% more for the Canon) only
> because the Sony display was pretty overwhelmingly bright.
> These are crops from full sized images. Both cameras were set
> at 400ISO with their best quality JPEGs. Standard kit zooms
> were used.
> I was going to include a 8 meg prosumer image, but lets just
> say the noise level at 400ISO created some "interesting" patterns on
> the faces of the patrons. Think "horror movie."
>
> http://usera.imagecave.com/rander3127/myphotos/E-300.jp...
>
> http://usera.imagecave.com/rander3127/myphotos/20D.jpg

Your noise comparison between the two cameras is meaningless as the MTF in
the images is not the same (i.e. the Canon appears a lot software).

My own experience with the small sensor cameras suggests ISO 50 - 100 for
low-noise operation, and that the higher ISO settings are only useful in
situations where some noise (grain) adds to the image character.

David
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 6:30:38 PM

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 05:14:12 GMT, Musty <musty@nospam.net> wrote:

> Even though the E-300 appears to be a noise machine, I must say that Oly ISO
> 400 does not mean the same thing as Canon ISO 400.

What do you mean?

--
Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
--Josh Micah Marshall

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 05:14:12 GMT, "Musty" <musty@nospam.net> wrote:

>"RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>> I took these at a Toronto camera store. Nothing done to them except
>> tweaking the brightness (10% more for the Canon) only
>> because the Sony display was pretty overwhelmingly bright.
>> These are crops from full sized images. Both cameras were set
>> at 400ISO with their best quality JPEGs. Standard kit zooms
>> were used.
>> I was going to include a 8 meg prosumer image, but lets just
>> say the noise level at 400ISO created some "interesting" patterns on
>> the faces of the patrons. Think "horror movie."
>>
>> http://usera.imagecave.com/rander3127/myphotos/E-300.jp...
>>
>> http://usera.imagecave.com/rander3127/myphotos/20D.jpg
>
>Ok, since lense are different, its apples to oranges. The E-300 shows
>visible purple fringing. You may want to post FL, f-stop and shutter speed
>for _each_ shot.
>
>Even though the E-300 appears to be a noise machine, I must say that Oly ISO
>400 does not mean the same thing as Canon ISO 400.
>
>Musty.

You know what is interesting? Everyone who has seen this has
had a different take on how the two cameras performed.
What suprised me mostly was he vastly different white balances
when I saw the images.
-Rich
!