Requesting help to inventory the goods for an overhaul

hammer326

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012
Hey everybody,

My system was middle of the road circa 2008, since then I've gotten a newish psu and some more ram but we're at that point once again. If you guys dont mind a bit of a grocery list, I'd like advice on some good stuff to buy following my current specs and needs:

Specs:
AMD athlon 64 X2 6000+ (3 gigs dual core, not overclocked)
500W antec Earthwatts PSU
XFX 7770
4GB 1600 mhz Crucial RAM
windows 7 32 bit
ASUS M2N68-LA motherboard
western digital 500gb hard drive
Thermaltake Armour MX case

I'm an avid gamer and am having a hard time running more and more games even on minimal graphics.

I would like:

-A new motherboard to house more RAM(can DDR2 and DDR3 slots be on the same board? I didnt want to upgrade to 64 bit right away for more RAM, as I currently have DDR2) $150 range

-A new hard drive for an eventual 64 bit installation. Can I have two hard drives, one with 64 bit, 1 with 32, and not have any issues? would that be simple dual booting? Also, this hard drive does not need to be massive but I'd prefer it to be long lasting and fast enough, though the former(stability and safety of data) is a much higher priority.

-the absolute best PSU in the $150 and 850 watt range. Anyone who's had something like this for a very long time, please recommend. I recently bought and returned one famous for killing mobos so I'm a bit paranoid.

-A new processor. I read about the AMD FX 6200, which if I am not mistaken is a hex core, 3.8 ghz/core, hex thread, more than suitable for my needs assuming the entire processor can be devoted to a game, not just 1 or 2 cores?
about $150 to devote to this too if necessary.

Also, a noob's guide of any kind for general knowledge of motherboard and processor installation would rock- they're the only 2 piece of hardware I've never installed, as this is a reformed HP pavillion as opposed to a custom build.

Any help appreciated, thanks guys!

Solution
^ each mobo has different BIOS. some bios have shortcut maybe F11 or F12 to choose directly which one to boot. i cant guarantee your mobo has the shortcut :)
for windows 7 installation, you can create 32 bit in HDD1 and 64 bit in HDD2 and you can set which one you will use by setting up the order in BIOS

but with win 8, you cant do it

HDD is very cheap right now, but 2 x 1TB for 70ish buck each

just my 0.02 someone can correct me for a better setup

hammer326

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012

thanks, windows 7 is indeed what I plan to stick with. Can I not simply do as you say, and pick which HDD I boot up each time I startup?

Just throwing this out, if you are gaming there is absolutely no reason to use 32 bit, or mess with a dual boot. 32 bit should really only be used for certain critical (expensive) programs that flat out wont run on 64 bit. Think enterprise. Home users shouldn't really ever have an issue

hammer326

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012

In this case there is; not only have I used it for almost 3 years but I have various important things on my current hard drive with 32 bit. Instead of formatting it and risking the loss of something important, what harm can potentially be done in just leaving it, buying another HDD, throwing 64 bit on it, and keeping the vast majority of my games there? Basically, a gaming hard drive and a work one.

twp

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
Just my two cents, but if you have important work stuff on your computer and you would lose it if something happened to your HDD, you're doing something wrong. Go and back that stuff up immediately, please.

hammer326

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012

I have the vast majority on an external but if I could avoid a format, I dont give 2 craps about buying a new HDD and throwing 64 bit on that. Call it archiving. Now would or wouldn't putting 64 bit on an entirely new HDD [while also keeping the current one] break anything?

hammer326

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012

I'll have to go with "I think" as my basis for spending $500. Luckily multiple connections of mine say likewise, so thank you for your time.