Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How is this iBUYPOWER build?

Last response: in Systems
December 24, 2012 2:39:53 AM

Hello all, I'm new to these forums and I am hoping some of you could give me some advice. For years, I've ordered computers from Dell. I'm ready for a new computer, but this time I want to try out a custom build through iBUYPOWER or CyberPower. I've picked out what I think would make a great gaming system. These are the components I have picked:

NZXT PHANTOM FULL TOWER GAMING CASE
INTEL COR i7 3930K (6 CORE 3.20GHZ/12 MB L3 CACHE)
POWERDRIVE LEVEL 2 - 20% OVERCLOCK
CORSAIR HYDRO SERIES H60 LIQUID CPU COOLING SYSTEM W/ARC DUAL SILENT HIGH PERF. FAN
16 GB (4 GB X4) DDR3-1600MHz CORSAIR VENGEANCE
NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX670 4GB SLI
ASUS P9X79 LE MOTHERBOARD
850W CORSAIR CMPSU-850AX
180 GB Intel 330 SSD
2 TB WD BLACK 64MB CACHE 7200RPM 6.0GB
LG BLU-RAY Reader, DVD±R/±RW Burner Combo Drive
12-IN-1 INTERNAL FLASH MEDIA CARD READER/WRITER
WINDOWS 7 HOME

Is this a good build? Is there anything you would change? The system will be used primary for gaming, but I'm trying to be as future-proof as I can be. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks you!
-M

More about : ibuypower build

December 24, 2012 2:44:21 AM

let me guess IBUYPOWER is charging you $3000 when you can build this for much cheaper
m
l
December 24, 2012 2:52:25 AM

Gaming? this is not a very good system at all. You are not going to see any benefit with the i7 over an i5 in gaming.

Future proofing is not a viable excuse either, as by the time that application are able to fully use the architecture of the processor you bought, it will be too slow and old anyway.

The H60 watercooling unit is not very strong at all. I have one, and it is sub-par in its cooling.

16GB is too much. Take that one from me.

Also, I would rather have things overclocked myself rather than have someone else do it, because I'd like to have that knowing it was done right.
m
l
Related resources
December 24, 2012 3:00:47 AM

Deemo13 said:
Gaming? this is not a very good system at all. You are not going to see any benefit with the i7 over an i5 in gaming.

Future proofing is not a viable excuse either, as by the time that application are able to fully use the architecture of the processor you bought, it will be too slow and old anyway.

The H60 watercooling unit is not very strong at all. I have one, and it is sub-par in its cooling.

16GB is too much. Take that one from me.

Also, I would rather have things overclocked myself rather than have someone else do it, because I'd like to have that knowing it was done right.

and ibuypower price they're stuff way to high a $100 system that you can build your self they will charge you $1300-$1500 which is just crazy
m
l
December 24, 2012 3:07:01 AM

you need to build your own do not buy a pc from neither ibuypower or cyberpowerpc. They are just soooo expansive. what is you budget, i am sure people can help you.
m
l
December 24, 2012 3:17:00 AM

oondun said:
you need to build your own do not buy a pc from neither ibuypower or cyberpowerpc. They are just soooo expansive. what is you budget, i am sure people can help you.

he's not here just give it up
m
l
December 24, 2012 3:40:58 AM

If you just have money to burn it's not bad - just think I'd get a way better water cooler or go with a noctua air unit.

If you want a reasonable build that costs half of that with probably 90% of the performance, let us know.

I've had two Cyberpower PCs prior to building this one and had no problems with them. Just know you're paying roughly 20% more than DIY.
m
l
December 24, 2012 3:41:57 AM

I know that everyone else has said this, but I bet you could cut the price by at least $600 by building it by yourself, and at least another $600 by not buying the most expensive parts you can find that would usually be in $4000 video editing builds.
m
l
December 24, 2012 5:42:27 AM

I know it's overpriced, but I've never built a system myself, and I don't want to screw something up. I have a $3000 budget.

Would getting the Asetek 550LC Liquid CPU Cooling System be better than the Corsair?
Why isn't 2 additional cores worth it? Would the 8-core AMD be a waste too? Why?

J_E_D_70 : A build that costs half as much but 90% of the performance sound good, what would you recommend?

m
l
December 24, 2012 6:37:57 AM

Listen, I just built my first computer 3 days ago lol. It's easy! Just get thumbtacks for your fingers because getting the motherboard seated can be hell on them. With that $3000 dollar budget, this is what you could buy instead.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tSJT
And this, for the same price is better than that iBUYPOWER build in every way, shape, and form. (Excluded case on accident lol)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tSMj
Will do gaming just as well as the one above.

m
l

Best solution

December 24, 2012 6:41:01 AM

Building it yourself is the recommendation.

The likelihood of messing something up is very slim. I've built several computers, and I havent ever messed up anything that wasnt on purpose. Its really not that hard. If you ever played with Legos as a kid, its about that easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls

This is the only video you will need to watch to do it.

Also, the 2 additional cores are not worth it because games do not take advantage of the additional cores of the processors at the moment. And by the time they do, your processor will be too slow to handle it, and you would have to upgrade it anyway.
December 24, 2012 7:25:09 AM

This is something in between the builds Breadwhistle made you.
It has 90% at 60% the price.
I highly reccomend it.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($37.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Plextor M5P Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($359.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1682.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-24 04:22 EST-0500)

Also one last thing.
The second build BreadWhistle posted only has half the gaming power of the Cyberpower build you were supposed to build.
This one is more powerfull than the cyberpower, it will also run cooler, quiter and make less noise.
m
l
December 24, 2012 7:50:50 AM

Watch these three videos http://pcwizkidstechtalk.com/index.php/buildapc.html there is no way you cannot build your own don't be scared if you get stuck on something feel free to p.m. and i will guide you or keep this thread open we all will help it's not as hard as it looks anyway good luck!
m
l
December 24, 2012 7:57:40 AM

Kamen_BG said:
This is something in between the builds Breadwhistle made you.
It has 90% at 60% the price.
I highly reccomend it.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($37.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Plextor M5P Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1682.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-24 04:22 EST-0500)

Also one last thing.
The second build BreadWhistle posted only has half the gaming power of the Cyberpower build you were supposed to build.
This one is more powerfull than the cyberpower, it will also run cooler, quiter and make less noise.
+1 this would eat that pre build your considering for breakfast!
m
l
December 24, 2012 8:18:39 PM

Thank you all for your replies. I am no longer ordering from iBUYPOWER, and will be building my own system. I have a couple other questions concerning my build.

I will be using a TV tuner card to record many hours of HD television on a daily basis. Is there anything you would recommend to better utilize this function? I am planning to have a SSD for the OS, antivirus, and most frequently play games. A second 1TB HDD for installing other applications and video games. A third 2TB HDD for HD television shows and movie storage.

Should I look at 10,000RPM HDDs opposed to 7200RPM HDDs? Would the benefits be worth the price increase?

Also, would an i7 be more practical for this, or would an i5 be just as good?

Is there anything else I am missing? Again, I'd like to thank you all for your advice! If everything goes as planned, you guys will have saved me a generous amount of money.

Thank you!
-M
m
l
December 25, 2012 12:21:01 AM

SpazeGoat said:
Thank you all for your replies. I am no longer ordering from iBUYPOWER, and will be building my own system. I have a couple other questions concerning my build.

I will be using a TV tuner card to record many hours of HD television on a daily basis. Is there anything you would recommend to better utilize this function? I am planning to have a SSD for the OS, antivirus, and most frequently play games. A second 1TB HDD for installing other applications and video games. A third 2TB HDD for HD television shows and movie storage.

Should I look at 10,000RPM HDDs opposed to 7200RPM HDDs? Would the benefits be worth the price increase?

Also, would an i7 be more practical for this, or would an i5 be just as good?

Is there anything else I am missing? Again, I'd like to thank you all for your advice! If everything goes as planned, you guys will have saved me a generous amount of money.

Thank you!
-M

I have no experience with TV tuners, so I cant say much about those. But IMO, if you love running benchmarks, it's perfect. But in a real world situation, there is no difference at all. Not worth the extra cash.
m
l
December 25, 2012 12:24:32 AM

And also, an i5 will suffice. The i7 will only really help with anything over an i5 if; 1. You are doing heavy editing/rendering or 2. You work with tons of tabs and games open at one time with 4 anti-virus softwares running the background. ;) 
m
l
December 27, 2012 3:18:18 PM

Best answer selected by spazegoat.
m
l
!