Crackling sound from laptop

kceps

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
acer V5 171 - brand new - after initial set up, and shut down - back on for second time, there was a crackling sound coming from the right side of notebook.. doesnt come from or affect speakers - it isnt constant - on and off - any ideas for how to solve this?

It sounds like it could either be electronic noise or a clicking hard drive.

Electronic noise will often increase or at least change with load, try firing up a game or something with the sound muted and see if the sound changes after a couple of mins of playing the game. If it does then there's a chance it is electronic noise, not a lot you can do about that really. Maybe return it?

A clicking hard drive means the HDD might have taken a knock or have some kind of manufacturing defect. This is usually a regular sound that mainly happens when you open programs or boot up Windows or something. Again, all you can really do if this be the case is replace the hard drive or return the laptop.

Now it could be something else that's causing it but they are the only things I can think of. A hard drive is usually on the right side so it makes me think that might be it.

kceps

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
i know the boot up sound you speak of.. it is very much like that

it is in fact coming from the right side.. and this doesnt please me at all.. returning the machine from the Caribbean to the US where it was bought, is such a costly + other, headache!

when i watch a film.. the speakers remain unaffected.. they drown out the crackling.. so if i rest my ear against the keyboard, i hear it (without any difference than when the film isnt running)

i had wondered about some bit of dust or so interfering with the fan.. but i reckon the fan is on the left side?

thanks for your help jmsellars1.. not thrilled, but appreciative ;)
no chance termites having a party is there? then i could join and forget about the rest of it!!