Radeon 6970 or Dual 7770 (double d)

So i have a question here so only serious help.

Current Specs
i7 @ 3.20 GHz
16GB DDR3
Radeon 6970 @ 2GB 256-bit

the only part that is important right now is the graphics card, I have a dual set of the XFX Radeon HD 7770 Double D 1GB 128-bit,

Would the dual set be a dramatic upgrade from the single 6970? or not...

Note: I am not asking about any other card.
17 answers Last reply
More about radeon 6970 dual 7770 double
  1. not really, you see might see performance gains at lower resolutions and settings, but you're choking high resolution and settings
  2. The single HD6970 is probably stronger in most apps/games than the CFed HD7770s.

It has a wider memory bus and a much faster GPU with more processing capability.

What problem are you trying to solve?
  3. Well the thing is I was pushing my computer higher and I got the pair of 7770s for cheap, still in box and packing.

I got my 6970 from newegg and when I went to dual them, there wasnt any, there are a few on amazon, but i somehow stumbled into these two 7770s for only $120 total, the thing is...

the 6970 has 880 MHz 2GB
    the 7770 has 1000 MHz 1GB
    i assumed 2 of them would be more than 1 of the 6970
  4. Nope. Different architectures. The HD6970 is more capable, especially if you OC it.

Don't get me wrong, CFed 7770s are okay.

Honestly, if you ever have the choice of a stronger single GPU versus dual lesser GPUs, go with the single GPU solution.

What resolution are you gaming at and with how many displays?
  5. I've never OCed my card, the humidity in japan was not really friendly to my computer...

I play on a single display, 40" LED at 1920x1080, but i do plan on getting dual displays soon. The card isnt that old either but when i play a game, lets go ahead and say BF3 on 1980x1080 on Ultra, highest settings, but i do have a frame drop, less that 40, but when i turn the antialising off (i know its normal...) then the frames are smooth.

Should i just get an secondary 6970?
  6. Using 2 HD7770s would introduce micro-stutter (just google it) and would not run BF3 on Ultra as well as the single HD6970. Adding a second HD6970 would also add micro-stutter.

What make/model of motherboard are you using? Same question for your power supply.
  7. Heres all my specs:
    - Processor Intel® Core™ i7 930 Processor (4x 3.20GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
    - Processor Cooling Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1366] - Standard 120mm Fan
    - Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B
    - Video Card XFX HD-697A-CNFC Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
    -Motherboard [SLI] MSI X58 PRO-E
    -Motherboard USB / SATA Interface [Free] Internal USB 3.0 PCI-E 2.0 x1 Expansion Card
    - Power Supply Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-750 750W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
    - Primary Hard Drive 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s - Single Drives
    - Optical Drive 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black
    - Sound Card 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
    - Network Card Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
    - Operating System Win7 Ultimate 64x
  8. Since you have 16GB of memory, you aren't running in triple-channel mode. Running either 12GB or 24GB in that mode would increase your system's performance.

I assume you have 4x4GB or 2x8GB or a combination of 2GB and 4GB DIMMs. How is your memory configured?
  9. Quote:
    Since you have 16GB of memory, you aren't running in triple-channel mode. Running either 12GB or 24GB in that mode would increase your system's performance.

I assume you have 4x4GB or 2x8GB or a combination of 2GB and 4GB DIMMs. How is your memory configured?

Not sure what you mean on that part I am afraid.... but i edited last post, i pull in my fill system specs.
  10. So, do you have 2 each 4 GB DDR3 memory modules (for a total of 8GB) per the spces you listed or do you have 16GB of DDR3 memory per your original post?

For an X58 motherboard, you have 3 pairs of memory slots for tri-channel configurations. For optimal performance, you installed matched memory in each of the 3 "banks" of memory. The motherboard manual will explain in more detail.
  11. I would avoid a dual card setup since they have scaling issues and a stronger single card is usually better than a dual card setup.
  12. I had to check and correct my last statement, as I stated late. I am running 4 x 4GB and from its fill its places right to left, all 3 black spot are placed and there are the two blue slots unused. When I did a memory check the last time i placed them (incorrectly of course) it read only 12GB, but after a bit of correct placing its reading the entire 16.
  13. Then with 4 DIMMs inserted, you are operating in 2 channel vs. 3 channel mode. The system will actually be faster with 3 DIMMs in the proper slots because it will be in 3 channel mode.
  14. final question.

If i did get this secondary 6970, would there be any way to prevent micro stuttering?
  15. xioteon said:
    final question.

If i did get this secondary 6970, would there be any way to prevent micro stuttering?

Not really. If you have a high framerate, Vsync often solves it.

On the other hand, it's a gamble. I have 2 7950s in CF and an Eyefinity setup and have yet to come across microstutter (after 2-3 months of usage). I usually prefer single GPUs to dual GPU solutions but in this case I needed a lot of horsepower and one 7970 would probably not have done the job so, instead of spending an arm and a leg and 2 7970s, I got 2 7950s as it seemed more price efficient. And it was, haven't regretted it at all.
  16. xioteon said:
    final question.

Prevent, no. Minimize, yes. It is just one of the side effects of synching 2 GPUs. You should also consider, strongly, optimizing your memory config first.
  17. get another 6970 or sell your old 6970 and get a better 7 series card. No reason to get 2 hd7770s..
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Intel i7 Graphics Cards Graphics