Power Supply not enough?

Thanks to Black Friday, I managed to put together a system, but recently I've found that my computer just suddenly loses display. I had this problem a while back with my old system, thought PSU wasn't enough and turns out I was right. It mostly happens right when I open either a YouTube video or start a game. Last time I had this display problem it happened during Windows Index Rating and when I looked at certain areas in games (I'd assume the more "intense" areas). Before I had a computer with a stronger PSU available, now I do not. So I have no way of testing if it indeed is the power supply. It would be much appreciated if someone could tell me why I'm just suddenly losing display.
(I wish I could give more on the problem, can't connect to my computer or re-establish the display without restarting)

My build:
Power Supply - Corsair CX 500W - www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027
CPU - AMD FX-8120 - www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103961
Motherboard - MSI 970A-G46 - www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130637
GPU - Galaxy GTX 460 768MB - www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162058
Memory - G. Skills 1866 DDR3 8gb (2x4gb) - www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231460

SSD - OCZ Synapse Cache - www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227932 (Don't think this would be the problem..)
HDD - Seagate 3Tb - www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148844

And the case (Corsair 550D - www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139012) comes with 3 fans and I'm currently using two of them (I got a connector to give power to the third one, but after that this problem started happening, I unplugged the third one but I still experience the display crashes just as frequent).

Thank you for your help!

Edit: Using this CPU HSF - Arctic Freezer 7 - www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134
5 answers Last reply
More about power supply enough
  1. Well it's possible that your GPU has some issues or possibly your mobo, but I would suspect that your GPU is possibly at fault. Is this GPU common to both builds?
  2. lunyone said:
    Well it's possible that your GPU has some issues or possibly your mobo, but I would suspect that your GPU is possibly at fault. Is this GPU common to both builds?

Yea it is
  3. So if you just use desktop applications and not anything video specific, your system is fine?
  4. Mhm. And it never even started happening until I added another fan.. Took out the fan and it continued. This is all through cables in the back of the case, so I didn't touch anything :)
  5. So let me get this straight:

New Build has:
    * New CPU, Mobo, RAM, SSD & PSU

Brought over to new build:
    * HD, GPU, & DVD

If this is true than there would be 2 things I would consider possible issues.

* Mobo is flaky and not working right (not stable, especially after adding in case fan)
    * GPU is flaky and this is why you have the same issue from previous build, if I understood this correctly.

You might want to run Memtest86 on your RAM sticks and verify that they don't have any issues. Also if you can get Prime95 to run, then I would run it for at least a few hours to see if you have any other issues.

It's also possible that your PSU isn't doing its job, but its unlikely the case since it's a new PSU and is of pretty good quality. This doesn't mean that it's 100% signed off as a good part, but it's something to keep on the list of possible bad parts.

Links:
    Memtest86
    Prime95
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Power Supplies Systems Displays