Status
Not open for further replies.

dajens72

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
Running a 7770 right now, but with budget constraints, would like to go to a 7870. Narrowed down the choices to the following:

MSI R7870 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127662

XFX Double D FX-787A-CDBC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition Black Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150606

These are based on stats and cooling solutions...thanks in advance.

Solution
Between the two I would go with the MSI Twin Frozr. I've spent the last 15 minutes trying to find the webiste I reviewed with the information, but the website that did thermal tests with a thermal imaging camera showed XFX Double D was by far the worst of all the non reference cooler design's and actually not any better than a reference cooler specially with in regards to cooling the VRM's if I remember correctly.
They're both really good. I like the Sapphires a lot too. I've had two Sapphires and they both overclock like monsters and run really cool also. Sapphire, MSI, XFX, ASUS, they're all good. Get whatever is on sale and comes with the most appealing games.

Orlean

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Between the two I would go with the MSI Twin Frozr. I've spent the last 15 minutes trying to find the webiste I reviewed with the information, but the website that did thermal tests with a thermal imaging camera showed XFX Double D was by far the worst of all the non reference cooler design's and actually not any better than a reference cooler specially with in regards to cooling the VRM's if I remember correctly.

Solution

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

Neither. There are 7870's for $30 cheaper on newegg. If you want a stronger card, get a 7950.

amorenn

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
If you're looking at the black edition for overclocking remember even though it's "Black" edition it's not unlocked vcore. Out of those two I'd get the XFX, due to lifetime warranty.

dajens72

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
Being new (within the year) to the AMD fold....(yes, I was an Nvidia-ite) I have clocked many hours of research (playing catch up) on the move from ATI until recent. I know that those loyal to the 6000 series are slow to give up a tried and true gpu .....and that the 7000 series has more to offer moving forward. At this point due to budget and wifey constraints, I must (for now) go no further than the 7800s until the 7900s come down a few dollars. I appreciate your input and have enough information to make my choice....and as I continue to search other sites (legitreviews, hi-tech legion, overclockers, ect.) for information, I gain more insight into what hopefully will be a long partnership with the AMD brand. Again, thanks for the input...

Status
Not open for further replies.