Help please. - Calling all Radeon 7850 card users with high FPS!!

tjhall1000

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
so i have a XFX double D radeon 7850 2gb graphic card. apparently im not getting the FPS i should be,

my computer stats
computerspecs-1.jpg

mycrapstats.jpg

this heaven benchmark i set my stats the same as another guy who has the same clock core speed and mem speed as me which is 920 core and 1250 mem, and both our CPU's are 3.4ghz, and set heavenly on same settings as him, he got 40fps, i got 10fps... you can see the problem im sure lol

Unigine.png

and after turning off vsync and setting my settings the same as this tom's settings, i only got 14fps with 1920 x 1080 and 30fps with resolution at 1260 x 720...something is still wrong here.....

does anyone with this graphic card and good fps able to post me his CCC settings, maybe if i mimic someones catalyst set up i can get my card mimicking the FPS as well... and my computer should be doing so much better in my opinion

please any help getting more FPS?

hwtf011

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
I have a fairly similar system. You use higher settings than I do normally but I replicated them as best I could. No overclocking. Win 7-32 bit, Phenom II-965, 4G ram, Asus 7850 2gb graphics card, WD 300 Velocirapter HD main drive, 1TB WD Blue storage drive.

Heaven Bench v3.0 Basic
FPS: 39.1, Scores: 985, Min FPS: 8.2, Max FPS:74.0
Hardware Binary: Win 32 bit, C++ 1600 Mar 7 2012
CPU Model: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor
CPU flags: 3411 MMX+ #DNow!+ SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSE4A HTT
GPU model: AMD Radeon DG 7800 Series 9.2.0.0 2048Mb

Settings
direct3d11, Mode:1920x1080 8xAA fullscreen
Shaders: high, Texures: high, Filter: trilinear, Anisotroypy: 16x
Occlusion: enabled, Refraction: enabled, Volumetric: enabled, Tessellation: moderate

The SSD doesn't have a temperature sensor, hence it's displaying 128°C...

@OP: Could you list your full specs including the power supply unit? Is the 6-pin connector plugged in from your power supply unit directly to your graphics card?

tjhall1000

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011

wow , this makes me sad lol, i mean im proud of u for your frames lol, but what the heck is wrong with my system its starting to get sickening lol....

and yea my ssd doesnt have a sensor so its not real temps,

Sunius
@OP: Could you list your full specs including the power supply unit? Is the 6-pin connector plugged in from your power supply unit directly to your graphics card?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150609
and im using a rosewill capstone 650w gold plus PSU

thats my card, and yes i have both my 6pins plugged into it, is there some magical chance i could just use 2 differnt 6pin plugs instead and maybe that will fix my problem?

im willing to try anything at this point, heck even after i put my 7850 to max OC it still only got like 18fps on the 1920 x 1080 with the settup i have up there, so im absolutly oblivious to the issue and maybe i have something in catalyst set incorrectly i lowered my oc on GPU tho cuz i dont want it that high i shouldnt need it

P.S. hey hwtf011 any chance u could make a 60 second video of just you clicking through your catalyst tabs so i can see what options u have set? its ok if not im just desperate lol

paddys09

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011

There isn't what I would call a huge amount of difference between 4x and 8x AA... Could you repeat the benchmarks at Tom's settings and compare? hwtf011's benchmark seems right on the money to me..

I have suggested that the OP start this thread, He originally asked the question at the bottom of a previous unrelated thread and wasn't getting any response from people with 7850's in relation to benchmarks...Linked:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/376384-15-please-help-7850-card-makes-display-crappy-catalyst-fail-card

Note the issue with the monitor being able to only run 1080 @ 30hz as its interlaced...

Something is definitely up with JJ1217 and the OP's settings, I was thinking Vsync is locking down the FPS, but you seem to have this issue too, so hopefully you can work it out together....

tjhall1000

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
well considering im only getting 14fps with 1920 x 1080 and 30fps with resolution at 1280 x 720 with the toms marking up on first post,

yea for me something is wrong and i just dont seem to get enough frames even maxed over clocking only gives me maybe a 5 fps differnce, just kinda annoying

tjhall1000

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011

borderlands seems ok, 60fps on max settings, GTA 4 max settings i get like 20fps, havent really FPS any of my other games yet but ill do that today

paddys09

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
If its borderlands 1 that seems about right, for GTA4 don't max out the 3 bars at the bottom ( draw distance, graphic detail etc)....

...Sounds like your cards working fine though, must be some setting in Heaven...wouldnt worry to much about it though....

...Hows the monitor situation coming along?

tjhall1000

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011

got a new HDMI cable in mail, mmuch better quality the nthe first, but same issue, waiting on my vga to dvi converter to come in the mail and hook it up that way, im praying that helps cuz i miss my 1366 x 768 x 60hz and good quality picture

JJ1217

Honorable
GTA IV is badly optimised, I get more frames with Icehancer which looks 10x better than stock GTA IV.

Tell us your frames in other games, two isn't enough to go by. Borderlands sounds about right as well.

paddys09

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
GTAIV is fine now, you just can't set draw distance to 100 on a 965 and expect decent frames...He might be able to get a good bit more out of the graphic detail with 2gb VRAM though...

ICEhancer just modifies the RAGE engine to adjust lighting, contrast and sharpness, it doesn't have much effect on the game depending on the settings but if anything its a bit harder to process...Think of it like Photoshop for GTA if that makes sense...

I think your card is running fine, but running a few other games can't hurt...let us know what happens with the VGA cable

tjhall1000

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011

just tested on sleeping dogs, i get about 40fps on max settings, but while buying clothes it lags for about 5 to 10 fps, and sometimes while driving i drop to 15fps not sure if thats my computer or the game

skyrim on maxed out settings i get about 30 -40fps but sometimes some drops to 15fps, plus sometimes while running around i see graphical glitches for like a fraction of a second, not sure if that can be called artifacting but honestly its hapened in all the games ive tried so far, jsut be walking around and soemthign will flash a differnt color or a block will appear for a second, always happends to fast to get a screen shot of it,

i saw it happening to the sky in skyrim so i kept clicking print screen hoping to catch it, but in the 2 out of 20 pics i took, instead of showign the weird look, it instead just made it night time even tho the pic was taken at day time.

blah this card is a bother

paddys09

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Not sure about Sleeping Dogs, but Skyrim should be doing alot better...I would imagine that you should have no problem keeping it pinned @60fps...

As for the graphics issues, there has been quite a few complaints from 7xxx owners recently...does the issue look like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce0sS_uvO7c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG8v1P850ak
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psZLJyjC6Xw&list=UU4fgWvJ-DqCuvWcZTs60sGA&index=1&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWZUcJvb10U&list=UU4fgWvJ-DqCuvWcZTs60sGA&index=4

If so then it is an issue with your card, people I have spoken to said the issue was resolved when they returned or RMA'd the card...

...Personally I thought it was the newer drivers causing issues for some cards but thats just a theory

tjhall1000

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011

yes thats exactly what im seeing in games, i read all the comments on the youtube videos u sent and one guy said RMAing didnt help, and most ppl say its a driver issue, so i would hope i dont have to RMA, i would hate to have to wrestle to get the card out of my case and have to pay for shipping, such a bother

on another note, yea i figured i should be getting steady 60fps on skyrim even with high res pack on, many ppl on the page i bought my card from said they were, so idk why im having trouble

not to mention most of those people were even playing it at like 1920x1080 and im only playing at 1280x720...
i feel that if anything that resolution should boost my fps

paddys09

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Yea there are a few threads on various forums reporting instances such as this and include other problems such as BSODs and driver crashes, things I would normally associate with bad overclocks..

My theory was that seeing as some of the newer driver releases boost performance (I know its not exactly overclocking but does maipulate how the chip performs) that this was somehow causing this to happen on a certain amount of weaker chips that couldn't handle it...A possible reason for why RMAing sometimes works and sometimes doesn't...

...Could you try rolling back your drivers to a previous version to help me build up a bigger picture and see if that is in some way credible?

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/previous/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx

hwtf011

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012

I reran the Benchmark and found I am close to yours using the following Catalyst settings.

Anti-Aliasing: Use application settings
Anisotropic Filtering: Use application settings
Tessellation: First run - AMD Optimized, Second run - Use application settings
Catalyst A.I.: Texture Filtering Quality: High Quality, Disabled Surface Opt.
Wait for Refresh: Off, unless app specifies
Anti-Aliasing Mode: First run - Adaptive Multi-sample AA, Second run - Super-sample AA
Open GL Settings: unchecked Triple buffering

New Benchmark- second run
FPS: 10.9
Scores: 275
Min FPS: 6.5
Max FPS: 24.9

tjhall1000

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011

now those are like mine, first 2 i kept as use app settings as well, only difference with my settings is Tessellation: ive had AMD optimized off and use application settings off, i just have it on 2x tessellation. since you used AMD optimized first time ill try with it as well.

and for catalyst A.I. my surface format has been turned on the whole time. maybe i should keep it on since even when u turned it off it was low FPS? or is that something that should help give more FPS?

and with anti aliasing mode, your first run "adaptive multisample AA" is what ive been using, but i feel this card should do good even with super on. but since you got low fps as well maybe im wrong

ive also never used super buffering

ill try with AMD optimized turned on since that seems like the only significant change