Comp Freezing/Crashing

Hockey85

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2012
Not sure if this is the right forum for the question, but I really need help. :cry:

So I got a new GPU and a new PSU.

specs

i7 @ 2.80
8 gigs ram
600watt corsair PSU
HIS 7870 GPU
1920x1080 resolution

So I mainly play WOW, the new card seemed great but every so often while playing my entire computer would freeze up, not just WOW, but the entire computer, I couldnt tab out and would have to just shut down. So some people told me to RMA the card which I did and got a SAPPHIRE 7950, because I heard the brand is more reliable.

Same thing is happening with the new SAPPHIRE GPU, every time I raid once the fight starts and there is a little more stress on the GPU it freezes. So we can assume its not a faulty card.... I the game runs great at over 100 fps, I dont understand whats causing the problem....

also tonight I raiding again and this happened, throughout the whole fight http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/521/wowscrnshot110512204409.jpg/

Im at a complete loss, am I overheating? Not enough power?

undercovernerd6

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Th only thing I can come up with is the possibility that your motherboards PCI e slot is damaged. Normally artifacts only occur when the gpu is defective, you have overclocked your gpu passed its limits, or your power supply cannot handle the voltage and it is causing your computer to malfunction.

check for these possibilities.

Hockey85

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2012
Ok well heres some more info that can possibly narrow it down....

The artifacting shown in the picture is the ONLY time I have ever seen artifacts on either of the 2 new cards I have tried. The computer has frozen/crashed many many times without ever seeing any artifacting.

If I put my old card (radeon 5770) back in the comp, everything is ok. No problems.

I first thought the new GPU (7870) was defective, but I have now tried a second new GPU (7950) and the exact same thing is happening.

Both the 7870 and the 7950 have run the game brilliantly (over 100fps), but I will get random freezing/crashes, sometimes under light stress (just flying around in wow), ALWAYS under high stress (raiding in wow).

So Im a complete armature... but I would think this may be a PSU problem??? The game runs fine with my outdated card but becomes faulty with the new age cards. Is a 600w PSU low for my system when a 7950 is added?

The other thing it could be is something is overheating? Would a new GPU/PSU cause the processor/MOBO to run at way higher temps?

undercovernerd6

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
your computer or any computer should not crash period. Crashing is problems. Download iobit system care advanced from Major geeks.com uninstall your graphics drivers and intall the latest drivers that are stable. Next download hwmonitor and check ur temps. Do you have both 6 pin connectors plugged into your gpu. Are you running the voltage from something other than dedicated lines in your psu.

mysteryos

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
Try the guide that undercovernerd6 suggested you.

Incidentally, the problem may lie with your motherboard's PCI-E lanes itself. Get the GPU to a friend and test it at his place too.

Hockey85

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2012
Here is a link of a screenshot of my computer voltage/temps

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/705/cpuve.png/

(the numbers on the left are current, middle is low, right is highest) this set of numbers is over the course of like an hour of gaming without a crash occurring.

I think the CPU temps are a tad high, but I have no idea what the voltage numbers mean. Seems like the GPU temps are good.

My GPU has an 8pin and a 6 pin slot, both are plugged in.

As far as running voltage from something other than dedicated lines from my PSU.... I dont know I just have the 2 pci-e cables plugged into the GPU.

Hockey85

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2012
Sorry I really don't know much about the voltage part. I'm just super discouraged with all the problems I'm having and I feel helpless because I cant diagnose them myself.

TRENDING THREADS