Device Manager says my IDE drives are SCSI

September 30, 2004 4:10:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

Under 'Disk Drives', Device Manager says that two of my hard drives
are SCSI but they are not. I have no SCSI.

One of these two so-called "SCSI" drives is on the primary controller
and the other on the secondary and their driver properties have a
SCSI tab.

How can I correct this?

Zak

Some background info:

The driver version 5.1.2535.0 (Microsoft) is the same for all hard
drives on my PC including those that do not say SCSI.

I also have the same model hard drive as one of the "SCSI" drives on
an IDE extender card (like Promise or Highpoint) and that drive is
showing up correctly.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 30, 2004 4:10:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

Non ATAPI/IDE mass storage controllers get the SCSI category
definition. This includes true SCSI and Raid/PCI plug-in cards. It's
normal operation.

"Zak" <zak@nomail.invalid> wrote in message
> Under 'Disk Drives', Device Manager says that two of my hard drives
> are SCSI but they are not. I have no SCSI.
>
> One of these two so-called "SCSI" drives is on the primary controller
> and the other on the secondary and their driver properties have a
> SCSI tab.
>
> How can I correct this?
>
> Zak

> Some background info:
>
> The driver version 5.1.2535.0 (Microsoft) is the same for all hard
> drives on my PC including those that do not say SCSI.
>
> I also have the same model hard drive as one of the "SCSI" drives on
> an IDE extender card (like Promise or Highpoint) and that drive is
> showing up correctly.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 30, 2004 4:20:42 PM

"R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Non ATAPI/IDE mass storage controllers get the SCSI category
> definition. This includes true SCSI and Raid/PCI plug-in cards.
> It's normal operation.

Sadly, this is not true for me. I have six drives. None are SCSI.

(1) Primary IDE - drive 1: normal
(2) Primary IDE - drive 2: SCSI

(3) Secondary IDE - drive 1: normal
(4) Secondary IDE - drive 2: normal

(5) PCI IDE - drive 1: normal
(6) PCI IDE - drive 2: SCSI

Drives (3) and (6) are the same make and model.
Related resources
September 30, 2004 4:20:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

With that number of drives you may have lost track of each of their specific
connections. Everything looks fine except for (1) & (5). It would appear
to the outside observer that drive 2 is actually connected to the PCI IDE
and (5) to the Primary IDE.

FWIW,
Len

"Zarbol Csar" <zarbol@csar.net> wrote in message
>> "Zak" <zak@nomail.invalid> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Under 'Disk Drives', Device Manager says that two of my hard
>>> drives are SCSI but they are not. I have no SCSI.
>>>
>>> One of these two so-called "SCSI" drives is on the primary
>>> controller and the other on the secondary and their driver
>>> properties have a SCSI tab.
>>>
>>> How can I correct this?
>>>
>>> =========================================
>>> Some background info:
>>>
>>> The driver version 5.1.2535.0 (Microsoft) is the same for all
>>> hard drives on my PC including those that do not say SCSI.
>>>
>>> I also have the same model hard drive as one of the "SCSI"
>>> drives on an IDE extender card (like Promise or Highpoint) and
>>> that drive is showing up correctly.
>

> "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>
>> Non ATAPI/IDE mass storage controllers get the SCSI category
>> definition. This includes true SCSI and Raid/PCI plug-in cards.
>> It's normal operation.
>

> Sadly, this is not true for me. I have six drives. None are SCSI.
>
> (1) Primary IDE - drive 1: normal
> (2) Primary IDE - drive 2: SCSI
>
> (3) Secondary IDE - drive 1: normal
> (4) Secondary IDE - drive 2: normal
>
> (5) PCI IDE - drive 1: normal
> (6) PCI IDE - drive 2: SCSI
>
> Drives (3) and (6) are the same make and model.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 30, 2004 4:20:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Agree Len. I was just looking at this trying to make sense of it. Is Zak
and Zarbol the same poster?

Anyway it appears 2 is actually 5 and 5 is actually 2.

Easy way to check. Activity on HDD drives connected to the mainboard IDE
channels will be indicated by LED on the front of the case. Activity on the
HDD's connected to the IDE channels on the PCI card will not be indicated on
the LED on the front of the case.

If you want to sort out the drive letters: Rt click my computer, manage,
storage, disk management, rt click on drive you want to change letter for.
Of course this may mess up programs looking for files on a seperate drive.
Don't change the boot drive.

Promise (and likely Highpoint) PCI cards with IDE channel on them will show
up as SCSI. FYI the promise Ultra100 TX2 card has some pins on it for
connecting up an LED to show drive activity - haven't figured out how to do
it yet.

r.

!