Canon Firmware Updates

Last response: in Digital Camera
May 31, 2005 11:01:02 PM

Rebel XT / 350D
http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eosdigital2/e3kr2_firmware-...

EOS-1Ds Mark II
http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos1dsm2/eos1dsmk2_firmware...

EOS-1D Mark II
http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos1dm2/eos1dmk2_firmware-e...

I upped my XT to 1.0.2 following the instructions and encountered no
problems.

More about : canon firmware updates

June 1, 2005 6:35:29 AM

<briansgooglegroupemail@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Rebel XT / 350D
> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eosdigital2/e3kr2_firmware-...
>
> EOS-1Ds Mark II
> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos1dsm2/eos1dsmk2_firmware...
>
> EOS-1D Mark II
> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos1dm2/eos1dmk2_firmware-e...
>

> I upped my XT to 1.0.2 following the instructions and encountered no
> problems.

This clearly states that the 20D is the most robust of the Canon DSLR
lineup. My oh my, what a camera!

;-)
Related resources
June 1, 2005 6:35:30 AM

"Musty" <musty@nospam.net> wrote in message

> <briansgooglegroupemail@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Rebel XT / 350D
>> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eosdigital2/e3kr2_firmware-...
>>
>> EOS-1Ds Mark II
>> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos1dsm2/eos1dsmk2_firmware...
>>
>> EOS-1D Mark II
>> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos1dm2/eos1dmk2_firmware-e...
>>

>> I upped my XT to 1.0.2 following the instructions and encountered no
>> problems.
>>

> This clearly states that the 20D is the most robust of the Canon DSLR
> lineup. My oh my, what a camera!

How does this state that?
June 1, 2005 6:48:18 AM

"Darrell" <spam@this.eh> wrote in message

> "Musty" <musty@nospam.net> wrote in message
> >
> > <briansgooglegroupemail@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> Rebel XT / 350D
> >> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eosdigital2/e3kr2_firmware-...
> >>
> >> EOS-1Ds Mark II
> >> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos1dsm2/eos1dsmk2_firmware...
> >>
> >> EOS-1D Mark II
> >> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos1dm2/eos1dmk2_firmware-e...
> >>

> >> I upped my XT to 1.0.2 following the instructions and encountered no
> >> problems.
> >>

> > This clearly states that the 20D is the most robust of the Canon DSLR
> > lineup. My oh my, what a camera!
> >
> How does this state that?

Ok you missed my smiley-wink face - aka I was kidding. Here it is again
;-)
June 1, 2005 6:48:19 AM

> "Darrell" <spam@this.eh> wrote in message
>>
>> "Musty" <musty@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> >
>> > <briansgooglegroupemail@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> > This clearly states that the 20D is the most robust of the Canon DSLR
>> > lineup. My oh my, what a camera!
>> >
>> How does this state that?
>>

> Ok you missed my smiley-wink face - aka I was kidding. Here it is again
> ;-)

I did miss it, what firmware is the 20D on now 5th or 6th?
June 1, 2005 6:49:15 AM

<briansgooglegroupemail@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Rebel XT / 350D
> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eosdigital2/e3kr2_firmware-...
>
> EOS-1Ds Mark II
> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos1dsm2/eos1dsmk2_firmware...
>
> EOS-1D Mark II
> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos1dm2/eos1dmk2_firmware-e...
>

> I upped my XT to 1.0.2 following the instructions and encountered no
> problems.

If you register your camera on the Canon web-site, you get automatic emails
telling you of FW updates - just a suggestion...
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 6:49:16 AM

Musty wrote:
> <briansgooglegroupemail@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Rebel XT / 350D
>> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eosdigital2/e3kr2_firmware-...
>>
>> EOS-1Ds Mark II
>> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos1dsm2/eos1dsmk2_firmware...
>>
>> EOS-1D Mark II
>> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos1dm2/eos1dmk2_firmware-e...
>>

>> I upped my XT to 1.0.2 following the instructions and encountered
>> no
>> problems.
>>

> If you register your camera on the Canon web-site, you get automatic
> emails telling you of FW updates - just a suggestion...

I must be a second-class registsrant. It takes them about ten days to
get to my name.

Thanks again, Brian.

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

> <briansgooglegroupemail@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Rebel XT / 350D
>> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eosdigital2/e3kr2_firmware-...
>>
>> EOS-1Ds Mark II
>> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos1dsm2/eos1dsmk2_firmware...
>>
>> EOS-1D Mark II
>> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos1dm2/eos1dmk2_firmware-e...
>>

>> I upped my XT to 1.0.2 following the instructions and encountered no
>> problems.
>>

> If you register your camera on the Canon web-site, you get automatic
> emails
> telling you of FW updates - just a suggestion...

I did, and I don't...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

> "Musty" <musty@nospam.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Darrell" <spam@this.eh> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Musty" <musty@nospam.net> wrote in message

> >> How does this state that?
> >>

> > Ok you missed my smiley-wink face - aka I was kidding. Here it is again
> > ;-)
> >
> I did miss it, what firmware is the 20D on now 5th or 6th?

I think its had enough FW upgrades that we should call it the 25D.

Actually I really like this FW stuff. Developers put the critical
(bug-prone) functionality in FW achieving a couple of things:
- Faster time to market (at expense of bugs in the field)
- Customer performs the repair with a few clicks
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 12:25:53 PM

Musty wrote:

> This clearly states that the 20D is the most robust of the Canon DSLR
> lineup. My oh my, what a camera!

What it doesn't state is that they haven't sound firmware fixes for the
reamining bugs...

;-)

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 5:40:12 PM

On 5/31/05 9:49 PM, in article Lm9ne.18866$j51.1758@tornado.texas.rr.com,
"Musty" <musty@nospam.net> wrote:

> <briansgooglegroupemail@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Rebel XT / 350D
>> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eosdigital2/e3kr2_firmware-...
>>
>> EOS-1Ds Mark II
>> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos1dsm2/eos1dsmk2_firmware...
>>
>> EOS-1D Mark II
>> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos1dm2/eos1dmk2_firmware-e...
>>

>> I upped my XT to 1.0.2 following the instructions and encountered no
>> problems.
>>

> If you register your camera on the Canon web-site, you get automatic emails
> telling you of FW updates - just a suggestion...

What you say is true however, as a registered owner of Canon cameras, my
experience is that these 'automatic' emails show up weeks rather than days
(or hours) after new FW availability.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 5:54:48 PM

C Wright wrote:
[]
>> If you register your camera on the Canon web-site, you get automatic
>> emails telling you of FW updates - just a suggestion...
>>

> What you say is true however, as a registered owner of Canon cameras,
> my experience is that these 'automatic' emails show up weeks rather
> than days (or hours) after new FW availability.

A good idea - it lets others find out the problems first!

David
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 9:38:26 PM

<briansgooglegroupemail@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Rebel XT / 350D
> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eosdigital2/e3kr2_firmware-...
>
> EOS-1Ds Mark II
> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos1dsm2/eos1dsmk2_firmware...
>
> EOS-1D Mark II
> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos1dm2/eos1dmk2_firmware-e...
>

> I upped my XT to 1.0.2 following the instructions and encountered no
> problems.

So, this firmware for the XT is just bug fixes? Sounds like it addresses
the underexposure issues which is nice but I'd like to see them change the
ISO, Metering, WB, AF, and Set buttons so you don't need to hit the Set
button to make the new setting stick.

Greg
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 5:07:30 AM

> So, this firmware for the XT is just bug fixes? Sounds like it addresses
> the underexposure issues which is nice but I'd like to see them change the
> ISO, Metering, WB, AF, and Set buttons so you don't need to hit the Set
> button to make the new setting stick.
>
> Greg

Definitely. And then have the B&W LCD screen show whatever your most-recent
setting change was. Of course, what I'd *really* like to have it show is
ISO...

I was just looking at that screen; hard to tell how much of it is
dot-addressable (vs pre-screened bits & pieces, which would make it
less-likely you could reprogram it for other info and have it look decent).

I really think displays should be user configurable. What some people find
irrelevant others may see as the most-important thing they want to see. You
shouldn't have to think like the camera... there should be more adaptability
so the camera can seem to think like you.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA