Will my pc upgrade bottleneck something?

So it's christmas and i thought it was time to upgrade my computer.
First my upgrade would look like this:

CPU: i5 3570K

GPU: GTX 670

MOBO: MSI Z77A-G41

But i really badly want the ipad mini so now my christmas upgrade looks like this:

GPU: Gtx 670

and the ipad mini.

And then the final result of my build will look like this:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 (3,2ghz triple core)
GPU: GTX 670
MOBO: Biostar ns68s3b
OCZ agility 3 60gb ssd
320gb 7200rpm hdd
4GB Ram
450W power supply

So, i think my cpu will bottleneck the gpu and the PCI-e x16 slot on my motherboard. I'm not sure.
So does anyone know if the cpu and my pci-e slot will bottleneck the gpu? if so how much of a loss in performance would i get?

I want to run far cry 3 maxed out at around 60fps, But the anti aliasing at like 4x.
My monitor resolution is 1680x1050.
And i would like to run the shaders mod on minecraft at a minimal framerate of 30fps.

And i still have one question, Do i need to get another power supply? does it have enough power to run my system? i have 3 120mm led fans though.

Thanks in advance!
8 answers Last reply
More about will upgrade bottleneck something
  1. Yes you are going to bottleneck the *** out of yourself. Screw that apple proprietary flashless trash and get a proper ram mobo and cpu combo with that 670, or better yet the sapphire 7970 for 340 after rebate @ newegg. Power supply connections would be the big issue. You will need either 2 6pins, or 6 pin and an 8 pin. Link me the PSU and the card you settle on and i'll let you know.
  2. skip the ipad and stick with your original config . if you really want it you always buy it later, but you'll be stuck with this computer for a while and kicking yourself for it.
  3. Praxeology said:
    Yes you are going to bottleneck the *** out of yourself. Screw that apple proprietary flashless trash and get a proper ram mobo and cpu combo with that 670, or better yet the sapphire 7970 for 340 after rebate @ newegg. Power supply connections would be the big issue. You will need either 2 6pins, or 6 pin and an 8 pin. Link me the PSU and the card you settle on and i'll let you know.

I don't know the psu i have but it has 2 6 pin cables left i can use.
    I have a second option i can go with though, I can get a nexus 7 and with the money i would have gotten a ipad mini i can get a amd phenom II x4 965. Would that still bottleneck my gpu?

And the gt 670 is compatible with a pci-e 3.0 x16 slot but when i put it in a pci-e x16 slot would it be slower?
  4. abbadon_34 said:
    skip the ipad and stick with your original config . if you really want it you always buy it later, but you'll be stuck with this computer for a while and kicking yourself for it.

If i get an nexus 7 instead of the ipad, And with the left over money i get a phenom ii x4 965 would i still bottleneck the gpu?

And if you put a pci-e 3.0 x16 card in a pci-e x16 slot would it be slower? if so by how much?
  5. Any old AMD chip will bottleneck that graphics card. Face it, you need the CPU,MOBO,Memory upgrade....
  6. zdbc13 said:
    Any old AMD chip will bottleneck that graphics card. Face it, you need the CPU,MOBO,Memory upgrade....

Ah, ok. Thanks for you help.

I'll get a i5 3570k and 8gb ram clocked at 1600mhz and a new mobo.
    I'll sell my old gpu, cpu and motherboard and maybe i can get a tablet later on.
  7. Yeah, next years tablets will be twice as good for half the price, hehe....
  8. You have chosen ... wisely.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt GPUs Systems Product