Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Building a gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 24, 2012 11:26:02 AM

Hello! I've been thinking of getting a CPU and GPU upgrade for my pc.
My current rig is:
-AMD Athlon II x2 245
-Sapphire Radeon 4670 1 GB


I am thinking of upgrading to the folowing:
-AMD Phenom II x4 970 (Under 10000 INR)
-MSI 7770 HD 1 GB (Under 12000 INR)

Will it improve the performance by a huge margin? Right now I play most of the games like Battlefield 3, Far Cry 3, Hitman Absolution etc at medium settings. (My resolution is 1440x900). If not, can you please suggest a better upgrade in the same range?

More about : building gaming

a b B Homebuilt system
December 24, 2012 12:17:05 PM

phenom 970 965 960 955 is the same chip, get anything at the cheapest price
make sure you get 8GB ddr3 instead of 4GB

and everything will be just perfect for budget AMD build

good luck for you buddy
m
0
l
December 24, 2012 2:40:17 PM

AMD Radeon said:
phenom 970 965 960 955 is the same chip, get anything at the cheapest price
make sure you get 8GB ddr3 instead of 4GB

and everything will be just perfect for budget AMD build

good luck for you buddy


I would have got the 8GB DDR3 RAM but sadly my motherboard only supports DDR2. Anyways thanks for the advice. I'll think about it in future.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
December 24, 2012 2:47:23 PM

this is what i am afraid of... your ddr2 ram will limit the performance

forget about phenom because the additonal performance will be negligible

you can buy 7770 right now and pair it with AMD Athlon II x2 245. it shouldnt bottleneck :) 

make sure you hace decent PSU... 7770 requires single 6pin power

and you can save money for future intel build. in 2013 intel will release brand new cpu family :) 

just my 0.02 someone can correct me
m
0
l
December 24, 2012 3:16:25 PM

AMD Radeon said:
this is what i am afraid of... your ddr2 ram will limit the performance

forget about phenom because the additonal performance will be negligible

you can buy 7770 right now and pair it with AMD Athlon II x2 245. it shouldnt bottleneck :) 

make sure you hace decent PSU... 7770 requires single 6pin power

and you can save money for future intel build. in 2013 intel will release brand new cpu family :) 

just my 0.02 someone can correct me


I'll have to get an AM3 mobo right now so that I can use my Athlon but if I want to buy an intel processor I'll have to change my mobo again? Is there another option?
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 24, 2012 3:38:58 PM

gauravsahay123 said:
I'll have to get an AM3 mobo right now so that I can use my Athlon but if I want to buy an intel processor I'll have to change my mobo again? Is there another option?

oohh sorry i thought you already had athlon and mobo AM3

so please list what is your current rig atm
llisting only -AMD Athlon II x2 245
-Sapphire Radeon 4670 1 GB
is somewhat confusing
m
0
l
December 25, 2012 5:53:24 AM

AMD Radeon said:
oohh sorry i thought you already had athlon and mobo AM3

so please list what is your current rig atm
llisting only -AMD Athlon II x2 245
-Sapphire Radeon 4670 1 GB
is somewhat confusing


I already have an AM3 mobo. I'm saying that I'll have to get another AM3 mobo which supports DDR3 RAM now. And later I'll have to get an intel mobo.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 25, 2012 6:16:06 AM

what mobo is it? i believe it is not AM3. more like AM2+ which still use ddr2 and support am3 procie
you will be fine with your current
amd athlon
old mobo (am2+??)
ddr2 ram (what size?)
++ swap 4670 ----> 7770

thats :D 

additional saving should be used by adding 64-128 SSD. it will add much more performance
or save the money for future build
m
0
l
December 25, 2012 10:30:06 AM

well i suggest saving money and getting an intel i5. u dont have to get the 2500k or the 3570k. any i5 chip that is sandy bridge or ivy bridge will work. don't try to cheap out when calling it a gaming PC. the hd7770 is not a good card. you need to atleast throw in 200 dollars on the gpu if u want performance thats actually satisfying.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 25, 2012 10:38:29 AM

^ dude.... he lives in India. everything is much more expensive there and their GDP is not as high as in US.

give him an experience to play games like us

for you syahrukh khan, dont worry mate, i used to have athlon x2 and 4GB ddr2 ram like you have. they are good performer for that price. 7770 is the most card your cpu can handle. and please search for SSD price information there 64GB ssd will help overall performance :) 
m
0
l
December 25, 2012 2:29:31 PM

AMD Radeon said:
what mobo is it? i believe it is not AM3. more like AM2+ which still use ddr2 and support am3 procie
you will be fine with your current
amd athlon
old mobo (am2+??)
ddr2 ram (what size?)
++ swap 4670 ----> 7770

thats :D 

additional saving should be used by adding 64-128 SSD. it will add much more performance
or save the money for future build


I'm not quite sure if it's an AM3 mobo. It's a Gigabyte M68M-S2P. But i think it supports the phenom series. And I have 4GB RAM
m
0
l
!