Sign in with
Your question

Wondering if my video card is dying. Need professional opinion

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 6, 2012 5:35:13 AM

I have a 3 year old HP that is mainly used for internet and watching movies. Never really bothered with games since it's an integrated card.
But Hotline Miami just came out, and I played it non stop for a week and it ran fine. Now I'm getting frequent BSoDs. It says I might have a memory problem and to switch settings in bios.
These BSoDs happen within 5 minutes of starting up now. When I reboot my PC, I can't even get a signal to my monitor, nothing comes up, not even the bios screen. If I wait a few hours though, It will start up fine like nothings wrong, until a few minutes later I get bsod and have to wait another few hours to try again.

I'm pretty sure it's my card since I just started putting some strain on it. And also because I can't get any signal onto the monitor until it cools down. The only thing I've installed lately is HM and Cave Story, so I'm pretty sure it's not software.

Also, what would be the best affordable card for PCI x16?

Specs: integrated radeon 4200
alvorox RS880 motherboard
Link: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02...
a c 87 U Graphics card
November 6, 2012 5:55:49 AM

Have you tried memtest?

Also, what temperatures are you running at?

It could still easily be malware, as well.
m
l
November 6, 2012 6:29:42 AM

sandymans said:
I have a 3 year old HP that is mainly used for internet and watching movies. Never really bothered with games since it's an integrated card.
But Hotline Miami just came out, and I played it non stop for a week and it ran fine. Now I'm getting frequent BSoDs. It says I might have a memory problem and to switch settings in bios.
These BSoDs happen within 5 minutes of starting up now. When I reboot my PC, I can't even get a signal to my monitor, nothing comes up, not even the bios screen. If I wait a few hours though, It will start up fine like nothings wrong, until a few minutes later I get bsod and have to wait another few hours to try again.

I'm pretty sure it's my card since I just started putting some strain on it. And also because I can't get any signal onto the monitor until it cools down. The only thing I've installed lately is HM and Cave Story, so I'm pretty sure it's not software.

Also, what would be the best affordable card for PCI x16?

Specs: integrated radeon 4200
alvorox RS880 motherboard
Link: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02...

Sounds like your motherboard may be going out.

What is the error message on the BSoD?
Do you get the POST beep when you power on the PC?
m
l
Related resources
November 6, 2012 7:18:36 AM

No post beeps. I forget what the error was, I could only see half of the message. I just remember it saying I should turn off some memory buffing and caching in bios I think.

I can't pick up a signal to my monitor anymore, even after I've waited for a few hours. The PC turns on, but I can't see anything. And its not beeping at all. It hasn't beeped at all since this started happening.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2012 7:34:37 AM

As DarkSable said, DL memtest and burn it to cd/flash disk....

boot from it and run memtest for couple of hours with only one stick (ram) at one time.. see if it can pick any error

since it old pc, there a couple thing that can be worn out because of aging...
(PSU aging, weak CMOS battery, Thermal Paste dried out, etc...) so u may wanna check it also
m
l
November 7, 2012 2:00:53 AM

Finally got it to turn on again. So I could get a pic of the screen. I checked inside and cleaned out all the dust. All of the fans seem to be working fine.

http://imgur.com/vIUhc.jpg

I wonder if I should just grab a cheap video card, and see if that fixes it.
m
l
!