Sign in with
Your question

WRT54G2 in basement barely gets signal upstairs and no signal farther

Last response: in Wireless Networking
December 28, 2011 9:16:16 PM

Someone just gave me a WRT54G2 so i could have wireless in my house. My router is in the basement and I hooked it up no problem. I get a good signal when I'm in the basement close to it. When i go upstairs in the room directly above it, i get a decent signal. When i'm in any other room farther away upstairs I barely get a signal to no signal at all the farther away i get. I think the ducts in my basement must be blocking it from going upstairs strong enough.

What would be my best options to be able to use wireless upstairs. Would a G range extender give me enough as long as its in the room directly above? should i get a linksys powerline then hang a WAP610N off it to do wireless G and I can move that with the powerline around to any electrical outlet? Or do i need to just buy a new e-series router and a RE1000 range extender, running both in mixed mode to support my older non-N devices.

the house is like 1800 square feet. Right now I can't even sit in the living room upstairs (one room over but up a floor from router in basement) and get maybe a bar or two tops of signal. I'd just like to be able to sit wherever in the house and use my devices.
December 29, 2011 2:55:26 AM

Drill a hole or find a way to run a single Cat5e line upstairs. (or try it downstairs first).

Install one of these things
HERE on a wall or in a closet. No extra power cord needed.

The device is rated for outdoor service because it is weather-tight but indoors is just even better.
It is described as 600mw but it is actually 1 watt (variable, using GUI web-based built-in interface).

Troubles are over.

Buy Wal-Mart class equipment, get Wal-Mart class results (Belkin, LinkSys etc.).
Get the real deal and it works every time. For a clue what these things can do, read the reviews at the site the link takes you to.

TigerDirect will give Tom's hardware members a discount. :) 

Click this link
HERE for information. Read post made by tigerb2b
December 29, 2011 12:20:21 PM

I was hoping to avoid having to drill a hole and run a cable, but this thing may be worth it. The reviews say they can get a signal 6 houses down, are there maybe cheaper less powerful ones that would cover just the 1800 house or closer to that rather than a whole 6 houses?
and do you think since it has such great range, that if i just hooked this up next to my router in the basement, it might be strong enough to blast through the ducts and whatever else is blocking the signal upstairs? then i wouldnt need to drill :) 
I've never really hooked up an access point before, would i be able to give this the same SSID and password as my router so it'll be seamless going between the devices depending where i'm at in the house?
December 29, 2011 4:40:37 PM

It could very well be strong enough to go all over the house from the basement, but if not..
Quote:
would i be able to give this the same SSID and password as my router so it'll be seamless going between the devices depending where i'm at in the house?

Yes. Have DHCP enabled at the basement, off at the new access point.

Plug the Ethernet line supplying the new access point into any numbered port of the basement router.

Set the static IP address of the new access point to a different number than the basement router. (You should do this with a temporary direct-connect to the computer to set IP number, SSID, turn off DHCP, setup security, assign channel number).

Set the DHCP starting range of the basement router to one number above the new access point.

Use the same SSID and encryption methods/passwords on both the basement and new access point.

Example:

Basement router IP address: 192.168.0.1 (subnet 255.255.255.0)
New access point IP number: 192.168.0.2 (subnet 255.255.255.0)
Basement router DHCP starting range: 192.168.0.3
Both units have same encryption type (WPA2) and passwords.

Set WiFi operating channel of basement router to channel 1
Set WiFi operating channel of new access point to channel 11

Fianlly, use web-based GUI of new access point (192.168.0.2) to adjust output power sufficient to give good results all over the house without going down the street.

Quote:
are there maybe cheaper less powerful ones that would cover just the 1800 house or closer to that rather than a whole 6 houses?

Yes. You would setup a less-powerful AP this same way.
!