Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

New $1000-1100 Gaming Build | Need some advice

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 24, 2012 3:08:18 PM

Hello, I had a post like this a while ago and I decided that It would be better to post it back up when the sales are started so I can save money. I would like to buy my parts from Newegg, NCIX and Amazon. I'm from Canada also.

My Build
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/tUFO
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/tUFO/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/tUFO/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Canada Computers) (PURCHASED DURING BLACK FRIDAY)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.98 @ DirectCanada)

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.99 @ NCIX)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($41.74 @ DirectCanada) (PURCHASED DURING BLACK FRIDAY)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Newegg Canada)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($379.99 @ Canada Computers)
OK so I need to know what GPU to get during sales, if there are any on sale that are really cheap now please tell me.
Price range- 350-430
Cards I am looking at-

670
EVGA FTW- http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=71941&vpn=02G-P4-2678...

ASUS Direct CUII- http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=71705&vpn=GTX670-DC2-...

HD 7970
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=68755&vpn=HD7970-DC2-...
Any other really good ones that are on sale and are good cards?

EDIT- Games I will play- Bf3, Skyrim, Some Racing games, GTA 4, TF2 those kinds of games.

Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.88 @ Canada Computers)

Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ NCIX)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Canada Computers)

Total: $1030.59
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-24 11:53 EST-0500)

Thanks for reading this and taking your time to help me! :love: 
December 24, 2012 3:13:20 PM

couldnt agree more :) 

you miss this one Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
i believe you wanted 212 EVO not 212 plus :) 

670 vs 7970 depends on what game you play. some games favor only one of them
December 24, 2012 3:20:48 PM

Choosing which GPU u want would require us to know what games you play like the above posted said it varies from game to game. You can go look up the benchmarks if you want to see
Related resources
December 24, 2012 3:26:34 PM

dude, be smart and wait till 6pm pacific or 9 pm eastern. ncix is having their boxing week sale tonight. a gigabyte windforce 670 is going to go for 299.99 after mir

ill temporarly recommend something
http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/tUQo

-black hard drives are useless. no speed gain

go here
http://i48.tinypic.com/ajpcab.jpg

get the adata ssd, the ud3h motherboard, and the msi gtx 670
December 24, 2012 3:32:50 PM

^ it will be a steal

you are lucky if you get it :)  lol
December 24, 2012 3:59:24 PM

TheBigTroll said:
dude, be smart and wait till 6pm pacific or 9 pm eastern. ncix is having their boxing week sale tonight. a gigabyte windforce 670 is going to go for 299.99 after mir

ill temporarly recommend something
http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/tUQo

-black hard drives are useless. no speed gain

go here
http://i48.tinypic.com/ajpcab.jpg

get the adata ssd, the ud3h motherboard, and the msi gtx 670
Ok, thanks for telling me about that gpu going on sale, Ill try and jump on that. Could you update me with things that are on sale at 6pm and edit that build you made?

Why that gigabyte Mobo? and the A data ssd? Haven't heard anything about that SSD.
December 24, 2012 4:04:41 PM

Techguy1 said:
Ok, thanks for telling me about that gpu going on sale, Ill try and jump on that. Could you update me with things that are on sale at 6pm and edit that build you made?

Why that gigabyte Mobo? and the A data ssd? Haven't heard anything about that SSD.

i think you already had a good build on the first post... in addtion, the GPU advice from ncix boxing day

it suits your taste and dont botther with anything else :)  ^ thebigtroll maybe want to help you cheap out in some places
December 24, 2012 4:20:37 PM

choosing case somewhat depends on you taste, seriously

case does not add performance to your system. it is about taste :) 
December 24, 2012 4:28:50 PM

because gigabyte motherboards dont have a 35 dollar MIR. a asrock at 154.99 + tax and then - the mir ends up costing more than a gigabyte board at 134.99 + tax -minus 10 dollar MIR

the adata is cheap right now and performs pretty well according to toms. i put that in there just for a blank space. obviously there will be cheaper SSDs tonight at ncix.

id say the fractal is a better case. solid steel (lots of it), is silent without a large increase in temps, while having tons of cabling space and gromments
December 24, 2012 4:33:01 PM

TheBigTroll said:

-black hard drives are useless. no speed gain


5 year warranty on black, vs 3 year for blue/green. Black drives have a lower intitial failure rate than blue/green.

No 7200 RPM HDD is going to have a noticeable speed gain over any other.
December 24, 2012 4:39:12 PM

i have WD drives that fail and not seagate. depends on your experience with them. id say they are equal, just the price is not
December 24, 2012 5:02:51 PM

Unfortunately, all we have to go on with HDD reliability is personal experience, as any manufacturer independent study of HDD's so far has had to omit manufacturer and model identification from the data to avoid being sued. - why the HDD manufacturer's can get away with suing someone for releasing that data is beyond me.

Personally, I've had 2 seagate barracuda's fail on me consecutively (the first HDD and the under-warranty-replacement both failed, the second within 2 months). only the second one was kind enough to spit a SMART error first.

However, given the lack of non-anecdotal information, I'm going to go with the HDD that has the longest warranty.
December 24, 2012 6:01:37 PM

Ill update this thread tonight when things are on sale!
December 24, 2012 6:23:25 PM

I suggest you get the scout 2
Because its better best bang for buck
December 24, 2012 6:45:04 PM

its never on sale in canada
December 24, 2012 9:07:07 PM

TheBigTroll said:
its never on sale in canada


What ever is, besides moose jam?

<3 canada :) 
December 24, 2012 9:22:23 PM

I don't know about that particular board, but in general, Asrock boards are excellent.

Between those two Asus boards, I'd suggest the P8Z77 (Unless you want a micro ATX case so you can fit the machine in a smaller space)

While the voltage regulator on the maximus is massive (8+2+2 phase), I find that the current fluctuations on a board with a 6 phase regulator, such as the P8Z77, are small enough that the overclocking difference between the two boards is minimal. The ATX Board will run cooler, has slightly more expansion options, and is, of course, cheaper.

good luck!
December 24, 2012 11:09:37 PM

TheBigTroll said:
dude, be smart and wait till 6pm pacific or 9 pm eastern. ncix is having their boxing week sale tonight. a gigabyte windforce 670 is going to go for 299.99 after mir

ill temporarly recommend something
http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/tUQo

-black hard drives are useless. no speed gain

go here
http://i48.tinypic.com/ajpcab.jpg

get the adata ssd, the ud3h motherboard, and the msi gtx 670
Have the sales on ncix started yet? Nothing new on my end.
December 25, 2012 12:12:03 AM

they have started, but servers just exploded
December 25, 2012 12:20:39 AM

I would recommend you get one of these mobo:GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP4 TH LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with Dual Thunderbolt
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

mobo:ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

mobo:MSI Z77 MPOWER LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

mobo:GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


December 25, 2012 12:28:33 AM

TheBigTroll said:
they have started, but servers just exploded
Do you mean I just have to wait a bit? and were did you hear about that gigabyte 670 on sale from?
December 25, 2012 12:40:10 AM
December 25, 2012 1:09:40 AM

UPDATED BUILD FOR THE SALES

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/tZ2g
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/tZ2g/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/tZ2g/benchmarks/

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.03 @ DirectCanada) (Will wait)

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($118.24 @ DirectCanada) (Will buy this during sales)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Newegg Canada) (Might wait)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($341.89 @ DirectCanada) (Will buy during sales)

Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.88 @ Canada Computers) (Will wait I think)

Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ NCIX) (Will buy)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Canada Computers) (Will wait)

Total: $729.01
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-24 22:07 EST-0500)
December 25, 2012 1:12:53 AM

dude, change the cooler the noctua d14. for 50 bucks, its a total steal

canada computers has the gigabyte z77x-d3h for 104.99 after MIR. a better deal

i can get a 2tb seagate for that price

the fractal define r4 window is 79.99. a total steal

LG burner is 10 bucks.


did you even read my post?
December 25, 2012 1:32:35 AM

TheBigTroll said:
dude, change the cooler the noctua d14. for 50 bucks, its a total steal

canada computers has the gigabyte z77x-d3h for 104.99 after MIR. a better deal

i can get a 2tb seagate for that price

the fractal define r4 window is 79.99. a total steal

LG burner is 10 bucks.


did you even read my post?

Sorry missed that post you made, What do you recommend buying right now I have $500 to spend right now and once I meet up with family ill have more. (Meeting with family tomorrow) Will sales still be up?
December 25, 2012 1:40:35 AM

I jump on the deals TBT told you about canada computers gigabyte z77x-d3h for 104.99 after MIR.
and Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 those cheap prices will not last long.
December 25, 2012 1:44:02 AM

the sales will go down if you dont snatch those deals. hurry up

@bigcyco: more stores have it. if you dont mind hitting those wrap-around-the-mall lineups.

or for the heatsink, if you dont mind those lines, you can get a noctua u12p-se2 for 36.99 in store, but no guarantees
December 25, 2012 2:08:36 AM

Quote:
the sales will go down if you dont snatch those deals. hurry up

@bigcyco: more stores have it. if you dont mind hitting those wrap-around-the-mall lineups.

or for the heatsink, if you dont mind those lines, you can get a noctua u12p-se2 for 36.99 in store, but no guarantees

Going to buy the 2 big items first. MOBO and GPU

Buying the gigabyte gtx 670 oc from NCIX- http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=71107&promoid=1285

and the Motherboard, I am wondering what one to get the
cheap $120 gigabyte z77x-d3h or the gigabyte z77x-UD3H $134 (Seen better things about this one) whats the difference and whats better?



Wont mind paying around $15 more.

Will wait till tomorrow night I think when I get some extra cash to finish off with the small stuff.

Missed that case sale that night for the Fractal R4 on ncix :/ 
December 25, 2012 9:22:12 PM

TheBigTroll said:
the case is still on sale just saying. the cooler isnt, which is kinda your biggest loss

there isnt much difference between the xd3h and the ud3h other than the arrangements of the usb ports

the case
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=75045&vpn=FD-CA-DEF-R...

I have $410 now to buy everything else.

Need

Hard Drive - Either Seagate, or WD Caviar Black 1TB
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H
Case - Fractal R4 w/window
CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 Plus
PSU - XFX 550w psu
DVD Drive for booting windows - ??


Don't have enough money left to buy the Samsung 840 120gb ssd thats on sale. :( 
Also on NCIX should I bother with the expressRMA??
December 25, 2012 10:15:11 PM

dont bother with a 840 non pro. they suck

i have VIP membership. dont need it. its a warranty that covers 30 days after purchase where if something dies, you can ship it back to them (or id just go to their store), and then they will swap it for a fresh one, no hassle

you dont have to get windows 7 on a dvd drive. you could just download the windows iso file, get a usb and format it so that you can install windows off of it. you still need a serial key if its to be made legal
December 25, 2012 11:14:32 PM

TheBigTroll said:
dont bother with a 840 non pro. they suck

i have VIP membership. dont need it. its a warranty that covers 30 days after purchase where if something dies, you can ship it back to them (or id just go to their store), and then they will swap it for a fresh one, no hassle

you dont have to get windows 7 on a dvd drive. you could just download the windows iso file, get a usb and format it so that you can install windows off of it. you still need a serial key if its to be made legal

Ok I dont think that I will get a SSD right now. But if I do what should I get? (OS and some slow loading games and programs) Whats a good cheap performance SSD.

For my Hard Drive what should I get that's on sale right now? You said not to bother with the Black Caviar drives because there are cheaper HD's. I would like to get a fast Hard Drive that is $100 or less.

When I get an SSD how would I go about getting my OS on to it if it's already on a Hard Drive? Do I have to re-install Windows?

Thank you soooooo much for helping me threw this :love:  :D 

Best solution

December 25, 2012 11:42:16 PM
Share

if you have windows on a hard drive, you need to reinstall on the SSD and do all the file transfers

this hard drive does the job
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=70854&vpn=ST1500DM003...

this ssd does it
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=69894&vpn=SDSSDX%2D12...

but if you want a lot more value, get this
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=69895&vpn=SDSSDX%2D24...
December 25, 2012 11:58:56 PM

TheBigTroll said:
if you have windows on a hard drive, you need to reinstall on the SSD and do all the file transfers

this hard drive does the job
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=70854&vpn=ST1500DM003...

this ssd does it
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=69894&vpn=SDSSDX%2D12...

but if you want a lot more value, get this
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=69895&vpn=SDSSDX%2D24...

About the Hard Drives, It says they are bare drives or OEM drives, Doesn't that mean that It only comes with the drive itself without any cables? What cables would I need and do they come with the PSU?
December 26, 2012 12:01:20 AM

comes with nothing but bubble wrap and the drive. the psu has power connectors and the motherboard comes with sata cables. you are covered
December 26, 2012 12:12:15 AM

TheBigTroll said:
comes with nothing but bubble wrap and the drive. the psu has power connectors and the motherboard comes with sata cables. you are covered

Okay, so I think I figured out what to get for the rest of my build and I am going to order tonight, Let me know what you think.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.98 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg Canada)
(Or this one, I want speed for gaming, since this is a gaming pc) http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=66010&vpn=ST2000DM001...

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $399.94
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-25 21:09 EST-0500)

Everything is cheaper on NCIX right now.
December 26, 2012 12:26:17 AM

dude, the cooler. you can still go to a store and get the u12p -se2. its worth it
December 26, 2012 12:27:33 AM

hard drives make no difference in gaming performance, only in load times. but for load times, its negligible between 7200rpm drives. only on ssds where you will find the largest differences.

also, adding a ssd to a sytem is a lot harder than adding a hard drive
December 26, 2012 12:30:54 AM

TheBigTroll said:
hard drives make no difference in gaming performance, only in load times. but for load times, its negligible between 7200rpm drives. only on ssds where you will find the largest differences.

also, adding a ssd to a sytem is a lot harder than adding a hard drive

What do you think about that samsung hard drive is it fast and a good hard drive? Heard lots of good things about it.
I dont know what hard drive to get, I would like to have money left to get a good 120gb ssd.

About that cooler in store. What store is it in, NCIX?
The problem is that I have no NCIX stores around me.. I live in Alberta
And is my build good to go and should I order it tonight? Really excited :kaola: 

If I were looking into getting a SSD what one should I get for a good price and very good performance?
December 26, 2012 11:15:10 AM

the 840 non pro isnt good while the 840 pro is about the best you can get, thats why you see a huge price gap

if you dont want to pay for shipping, you could do some price beats at memory express. just not on boxing day.

if you cant get the cooler, the hyper 212 should be sufficient

this ssd
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=69894&vpn=SDSSDX-120G...

but if you want value, id get the 240gb.
December 26, 2012 2:13:31 PM

TheBigTroll said:
the 840 non pro isnt good while the 840 pro is about the best you can get, thats why you see a huge price gap

if you dont want to pay for shipping, you could do some price beats at memory express. just not on boxing day.

if you cant get the cooler, the hyper 212 should be sufficient

this ssd
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=69894&vpn=SDSSDX-120G...

but if you want value, id get the 240gb.

Sorry, I was talking about the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive is it fast and better than the seagate or caviar black?

Build - I think I am ready to order everything else I just need some input on a hard drive.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.98 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg Canada)
(Or this one, I want speed for gaming, since this is a gaming pc) http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku= [...] merReviews
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ NCIX)

Total: $399.94
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-25 21:09 EST-0500)
December 26, 2012 2:55:07 PM

About the case..
Should I get the R4 w/window (Is it a really good case??) or get the HAF 922 they are about the same price.

What will be better if I plan to OC my CPU and GPU?
December 26, 2012 4:50:58 PM

the samsung is a older drive. just get the seagate. its a tad faster

R4 in my opinion just wins everything except temps. it will be a tad hotter than the 922 (3c at most), but thats irrelevant since canada is freezing cold most of the time.

its more silent as well
December 26, 2012 4:55:24 PM

TheBigTroll said:
the samsung is a older drive. just get the seagate. its a tad faster

R4 in my opinion just wins everything except temps. it will be a tad hotter than the 922 (3c at most), but thats irrelevant since canada is freezing cold most of the time.

its more silent as well

Ok, I am going to stick with the R4 w/window.

Could you provide me with a link for that seagate that I should get, Can't find the right one.

Going to order everything after I pick out the hard drive.
December 26, 2012 5:47:28 PM

Ok I am ordering everything now.

Thanks to
TheBigTroll
BigCyco
and everyone else

Finished my first gaming build! :) 
!