Sign in with
Your question

Looking to Upgrade my Gateway DX4822-03 (Gaming PC)

Last response: in Systems
December 24, 2012 3:32:58 PM

Hi guys, first of all, Merry Christmas to everyone! Sorry about having to ask help on Christmas, but I am now desperate. Sorry too for the long post!

I am currently having a problem with my computer and after about a two years of trying to fix it along with the help of local technicians, I am now at my wit's end. I can never seem to solve the problems I am having with my computer without a new one popping out, so now I turn to the internet and ask help from professionals.

Anyhow, about two years ago, I bought myself a Gateway DX 4822-03 from the US and imported it home to the Philippines. However, upon installation, the local technician who did it accidentally plugged it in a 220 volts socket and the PSU essentially died. So I had it repaired, and it worked for about 6 months before dying. I had it replaced with a 300 voltage one (I was told that this was enough, but I had my doubts). About that time, my computer started experiencing routine restarts out of nowhere, or a simple black out of the monitor while everything else still ran (The fans were spinning). Thus, I researched in the internet about this problem and asked around too, and was told that perhaps the PSU didn't have enough power to support my computer. So I had it upgraded into a Rapter II 500, which was the advise of local technicians. The computer worked well once again for 1-2 months before the routine restarts and monitor blackouts started occurring again. With this, I deduced that the problem wasn't with the PSU, and I was told apparently that it maybe with the HDD. So I bought a new HDD and attached the old ones to it. Long story short, I now have 3 HDDs, 2 attached to the main one. Nonetheless, I still experienced the routine restarts. I had my computer periodically cleaned and this would last me about 2-3 weeks before the symptoms would pop out again. I removed a needless hardware (It was for TV or something) and it lasted me around 5 months before the restarts came back.

So then, about a 6 months earlier, about the same time I removed my TV hardware, I discovered that my video card was actually defective and had a silent recall (It was a nVidia GT220 1GB). So I started saving for a new one and got myself a HD 7750. I thought that my problems would all be solved now, but apparently I was wrong. Now I have a small black spot in the upper left of my computer from time to time, which would disappear if I place my mouse on it. Also, sometimes while starting my computer up, it would hang and freeze and I would have to do a hard reset. Also, when I play Guild Wars 2, my FPS is only around 25-35 on medium settings, on 1600 x 900, which according to Tom's Hardware when they benchmarked GW2, is just around half of what it should be.

Anyhow, below are my current computer specs. I did a fresh reformat two weeks ago when I got the HD 7750.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66GHz
RAM: 8 GB DDR2
System: Windows 7 64 bit
PSU: Rapter II 500 (500 watts)
GPU: Radeon HD 7750 by Sapphire 2GB
Motherboard: Acer G43T-AM
WLAN Card: Atheros AR5006GS Wireless Network Adapter
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster B2030/B2055Plus

Okay, so I'm also thinking of upgrading my WLAN card because the antenna's already very loose, and would like to have a suggestion on which I should buy. I also tried overclocking but apparently my motherboard can't do it. The options aren't there. I would like to find a way to resolve my black box in the upper left problem, my freezing problem, and my low fps problem. Other comments and suggestions are also welcome.

Thank you very much for helping out and sorry for the long post!
December 27, 2012 3:41:50 AM

Hi all, anyone willing to help? :( 
m
l
!