Sign in with
Your question

Reference or non-reference card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2012 12:52:11 PM

So as the Thread says to pick a reference or non-reference card?

I've read and heard, that the reference card is the most stable solution. But what is the benifits of choosing one above the other?

Please share your knowledge and experience. :) 
November 6, 2012 2:30:21 PM

Its usually always better to choose a non-reference design as they are better for overclocking as they have custom coolers and PCB's. Although, they do cost more than reference cards.
November 6, 2012 2:52:09 PM

Non-ref cards are good in cases where you have good airflow. I They also tend to use more power. I think a brand of non-ref card from a proven vendor is better. Check the specs because a lot of non-ref cards use more power. On some cards the fans tend to be a bit louder than ref cards.

Ref cards are better if case airflow is not the best. Such as a ITX case. Or if your case is really small and cramped. You can also get waterblocks for these cards for these situations.

Kevin
Related resources
a c 130 U Graphics card
November 6, 2012 3:05:20 PM

kevinkapp said:
Non-ref cards are good in cases where you have good airflow. I They also tend to use more power. I think a brand of non-ref card from a proven vendor is better. Check the specs because a lot of non-ref cards use more power. On some cards the fans tend to be a bit louder than ref cards.

Ref cards are better if case airflow is not the best. Such as a ITX case. Or if your case is really small and cramped. You can also get waterblocks for these cards for these situations.

Kevin

You have that all back to front my friend.

Third party cooling solutions such as are found on Non reference cards are 99.9% of the time better than the reference design, thus a Non reference card is better in almost all cases. (no pun intended)

Non reference cards usually have an over clock which is why they SOMETIMES use more power, you are getting more performance as well though. Some Non reference cards actually use less power than the reference cards due to the fact that they use better voltage regulating circuitry.

Mactronix :) 
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2012 3:23:55 PM

I have 3 x 120 mm fans in a midi Tower. right now I hav inno3D gtx 660 hz2000s. My Card is a mistake, the Company shipped the computer with wrong gpu. I ordered the reference Card and got this chinese ***.

Even though the non-reference Card I have right now has dual-fans it sucks, temperatures hit as high as 85*C in SA3, so I would like to know f I should call and get the gtx 660 reference Card instead?

a c 130 U Graphics card
November 6, 2012 3:38:14 PM

Yes that is high you should be getting around 70 max for that card. how are you reading teh temps ? Have you tried using a different application or two to rule out a misread ?

a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2012 3:40:33 PM

reference cards are good in multi gpu configurations since all of the heat is not dumped into the case. But why not have the best of both worlds with the HIS cards. Reference style blower and thermal performance, check plus. Albeit 3ish slot card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2012 3:40:49 PM

I've tried MSI afterburner and I'm currently using HWmonitor pro.

I also tried manually changing the fan speeds but the noise isn't worth the 5*C cooler.

But remember, it isn't the iChill Card, it's their regular hz2000s.
November 6, 2012 7:49:32 PM

mactronix said:
You have that all back to front my friend.

Third party cooling solutions such as are found on Non reference cards are 99.9% of the time better than the reference design, thus a Non reference card is better in almost all cases. (no pun intended)

Non reference cards usually have an over clock which is why they SOMETIMES use more power, you are getting more performance as well though. Some Non reference cards actually use less power than the reference cards due to the fact that they use better voltage regulating circuitry.

Yes you are right. OMG momentary confusion!!
!