Choppiness in BFV with 9800pro/2g CPU/1G ram

I was playing online (via local) against my kids all in the same house
and same router. I was the only one getting enough chop in my video that
my screen literally froze for about 5 secs while I could hear the action
still goin. I have an AMD 2g CPU, 1G DDR ram and an ATI radeon 9800 pro.
Seems to me that I could run the highest settings and not have such
video troubles. It runs nice in singleplayer. Is this a known problem or
has anybody experienced this and figured a fix? I have the newest
(4.6) drivers for my vid card. Mine is the most powerful system in the
house, why would I get the issue ?!?! thanks

Jez

V "fnugen" wrote:
> I was playing online (via local) against my kids all in the same house
> and same router. I was the only one getting enough chop in my video that
> my screen literally froze for about 5 secs while I could hear the action
> still goin. I have an AMD 2g CPU, 1G DDR ram and an ATI radeon 9800 pro.
> Seems to me that I could run the highest settings and not have such
> video troubles. It runs nice in singleplayer. Is this a known problem or
> has anybody experienced this and figured a fix? I have the newest (4.6)
> drivers for my vid card. Mine is the most powerful system in the house,
> why would I get the issue ?!?! thanks

Latest drivers for 9800 are the Catalyst 6.5's.........

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27

Dunno if they'll help....

--
Jez, MBA.,
Country Dancing and Advanced Astrology, UBS.

'Realism is seductive because once you have accepted the reasonable
notion that you should base your actions on reality, you are too often
led to accept, without much questioning, someone else's version of what
that reality is. It is a crucial act of independent thinking to be
skeptical of someone else's description of reality.'-
Howard Zinn

Jez

Jez wrote:
> V "fnugen" wrote:
>
>> I was playing online (via local) against my kids all in the same house
>> and same router. I was the only one getting enough chop in my video
>> that my screen literally froze for about 5 secs while I could hear the
>> action still goin. I have an AMD 2g CPU, 1G DDR ram and an ATI radeon
>> 9800 pro. Seems to me that I could run the highest settings and not
>> have such video troubles. It runs nice in singleplayer. Is this a
>> known problem or has anybody experienced this and figured a fix? I
>> have the newest (4.6) drivers for my vid card. Mine is the most
>> powerful system in the house, why would I get the issue ?!?!
>> thanks
>

> Latest drivers for 9800 are the Catalyst 6.5's.........
>
> https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27
>

> Dunno if they'll help....

Oops ! My bad.....should have been Catalyst 5.6's !!

--

"V \"fnugen\"" wrote:

> I was playing online (via local) against my kids all in the same house
> and same router. I was the only one getting enough chop in my video
> that my screen literally froze for about 5 secs while I could hear the
> action still goin. I have an AMD 2g CPU, 1G DDR ram and an ATI radeon
> 9800 pro. Seems to me that I could run the highest settings and not
> have such video troubles. It runs nice in singleplayer. Is this a
> known problem or
> has anybody experienced this and figured a fix? I have the newest
> (4.6) drivers for my vid card. Mine is the most powerful system in the
> house, why would I get the issue ?!?! thanks

Perhaps single player runs better because it's a smaller map?

Highest setting for textures reportedly needs a 256MB or even 512MB gfx
card. Apparently more system RAM and increasing the AGP aperture size
(in the bios) can both help, though.

I have a similar system (XP3000 & 128MB Radeon 9800 Pro) and have
everything on medium, but that's partly because I'm stuck on 512MB RAM,
until later this week, when I'll have 1GB and be trying to push a little
higher.

higgy.

Jez wrote:
> Jez wrote:
>
>> V "fnugen" wrote:
>>
>>> I was playing online (via local) against my kids all in the same
>>> house and same router. I was the only one getting enough chop in my
>>> video that my screen literally froze for about 5 secs while I could
>>> hear the action still goin. I have an AMD 2g CPU, 1G DDR ram and an
>>> ATI radeon 9800 pro. Seems to me that I could run the highest
>>> settings and not have such video troubles. It runs nice in
>>> singleplayer. Is this a known problem or has anybody experienced
>>> this and figured a fix? I have the newest (4.6) drivers for my vid
>>> card. Mine is the most powerful system in the house, why would I get
>>> the issue ?!?! thanks
>>

>> Latest drivers for 9800 are the Catalyst 6.5's.........
>>
>> https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27
>>

>> Dunno if they'll help....
>>
> Oops ! My bad.....should have been Catalyst 5.6's !!

My bad as well........I do have the 5.6 drivers.

AMD3200 athlon 64,9800PRO 128 Mb from Sapphire and 1,5 Gb RAM,everything on
high: no probs here.
I recently increrased the RAM from 1 Gb to 1,5 Gb with better results.

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

Hans Pluijgers
Hamcall: PA3HGT
www.pa3hgt.nl

> "V \"fnugen\"" wrote:
>
>> I was playing online (via local) against my kids all in
>> the same house and same router. I was the only one
>> getting enough chop in my video that my screen literally
>> froze for about 5 secs while I could hear the action
>> still goin. I have an AMD 2g CPU, 1G DDR ram and an ATI
>> radeon 9800 pro. Seems to me that I could run the
>> highest settings and not have such video troubles. It
>> runs nice in singleplayer. Is this a known problem or
>> has anybody experienced this and figured a fix? I have
>> the newest (4.6) drivers for my vid card. Mine is the
>> most powerful system in the house, why would I get the
>> issue ?!?! thanks
>
> Perhaps single player runs better because it's a smaller
> map?
>
> Highest setting for textures reportedly needs a 256MB or
> even 512MB gfx card. Apparently more system RAM and
> increasing the AGP aperture size (in the bios) can both
> help, though.
>
> I have a similar system (XP3000 & 128MB Radeon 9800 Pro)
> and have everything on medium, but that's partly because
> I'm stuck on 512MB RAM, until later this week, when I'll
> have 1GB and be trying to push a little higher.
>

> higgy.

Mustafa

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004

"PA3HGT" <ft1000(haalweg)@planet.nl> wrote in message
> AMD3200 athlon 64,9800PRO 128 Mb from Sapphire and 1,5 Gb RAM,everything
> on high: no probs here.
> I recently increrased the RAM from 1 Gb to 1,5 Gb with better results.

What resolution are you playing at, how many players and what framerates are
you getting?

Rob.

Mustafa wrote:
> "PA3HGT" <ft1000(haalweg)@planet.nl> wrote in message
>
>>AMD3200 athlon 64,9800PRO 128 Mb from Sapphire and 1,5 Gb RAM,everything
>>on high: no probs here.
>>I recently increrased the RAM from 1 Gb to 1,5 Gb with better results.
>

> What resolution are you playing at, how many players and what framerates are
> you getting?
>
> Rob.

1024x768 32bit 85KHz. I run this resolution in every other game I play
with no problems like this. Myself and my 2 girls only. Not sure what
FPS I am getting, how do I find that out ?? It doesn't matter
either if I am walking through the jungle or in battle....it chops at
it's own will.

Mustafa

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004

"V "fnugen"" <fnugen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Mustafa wrote:
>> "PA3HGT" <ft1000(haalweg)@planet.nl> wrote in message
>>
>>>AMD3200 athlon 64,9800PRO 128 Mb from Sapphire and 1,5 Gb RAM,everything
>>>on high: no probs here.
>>>I recently increrased the RAM from 1 Gb to 1,5 Gb with better results.
>>

>> What resolution are you playing at, how many players and what framerates
>> are you getting?
>>
>> Rob.
>>

> 1024x768 32bit 85KHz. I run this resolution in every other game I play
> with no problems like this. Myself and my 2 girls only. Not sure what FPS
> I am getting, how do I find that out ?? It doesn't matter either if
> I am walking through the jungle or in battle....it chops at it's own will.

With my setup I found I could only get smooth gameplay if I set everything
on medium, except for shadows which I set to low.

Rob.
AMD 64 3000+ 2Ghz
MSI MS-6741 K8M mobo
ATI 9800 pro (now replaced with an e-vga 6800 Ultra AGP...wow what a
difference!)
1 gig Kingston PC3200 ram
Creative Audigy 2

On 3-7-2005 6:27, V "fnugen" wrote:
> I was playing online (via local) against my kids all in the same house
> and same router. I was the only one getting enough chop in my video that
> my screen literally froze for about 5 secs while I could hear the action
> still goin. I have an AMD 2g CPU, 1G DDR ram and an ATI radeon 9800 pro.
> Seems to me that I could run the highest settings and not have such
> video troubles. It runs nice in singleplayer. Is this a known problem or
> has anybody experienced this and figured a fix? I have the newest (4.6)
> drivers for my vid card. Mine is the most powerful system in the house,
> why would I get the issue ?!?! thanks

I had a simular problem when BF:V was just released. I solved the
problem by reducing the sound channels to 32. It turned out my soundcard
couldn't handle the stress.

--
Bow before me, for I am root.