Spontaneous reboot when attempting to run games

facer0ll

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
Hello,

I have just finished building my new computer and I've come across a bit of a brick wall; whenever I load games or even run the Windows experience Index, nearly instantly my computer turns off, and reboots.

It will run stable and perfectly fine without running any programs that require 3D. I have checked event viewer and am getting Kernel-Power critical errors which leads me to believe it may be the PSU not supplying enough power to things when I run games.

Here's my Build :

ASUS P8Z77-V
Intel i5 3570k
Coolermaster V8
Corsair Vengance 2x4gb 1333Mhz
GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Antec HCP-750 750W

Thanks

amorenn

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Your PSU is more than enough, download coretemp to see your CPU temps. After downloading that, run PRIME95 for a while to test to see where your temps are at.

Unless you're running 2-3 graphics cards.

facer0ll

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012

Ah sorry, should've said this stuff in the first post, apologies!

The core is running fine at 38-40 degrees C, I am running a single graphics card.

facer0ll

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
Just checked all the connections, updated the BIOS to latest revision. Even swapped the connections on the graphics card around in some desperate attempt that'll work!

facer0ll

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
Replying to my own thread a lot, but I can't edit my posts :(

I have confirmed it is my PSU, after updating my BIOS and attempting the Index again, I was greeted by this screen when it was rebooting:

img1072ri.jpg

I dabbled in the BIOS, turning off Intel's turbo boost allowed me to progress into some DX10 tests in the index, but ultimately I had to clear my CMOS after mucking about in the BIOS caused it to not even POST.

Apologies for the bluriness.

The question is, is it safe to be using this PSU now? I can run non-3D apps just fine, just a little worried about it talking about surges. Should I RMA it or what?

amorenn

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
All good, check that the voltages are in proper specs, such as 3.3v running roughly 3.3volts. The power surges might not be coming from the PSU itself, are you hooked up to A UPS or a surge suppressor?

facer0ll

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012

Not connected to a UPS or surge protecter that I know of, it is being run off a multi-plug adapter though.

Voltages when not doing 3D stuff seem fine.

voltages.png

amorenn

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Find a surge suppressor somewhere in your house, plug your PC into that and see if it evens everything out. Or plug it in with just your PC, monitor and router/modem, whatever is necessary.

facer0ll

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
Alright, yeah the only things that are plugged into the multi-plug are the pc and the screen, but i'll go out and buy a surge suppressor on boxing day and see if that works out, thank you for the help, Merry Christmas!

facer0ll

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
Little update, I took the graphics card out to see if I could reproduce the shutdown with the onboard graphics, I can now load up games without it shutting off. Very interesting.

The graphics card is very likely to not be broken, I had taken it from my old computer and put it into my new one and it was working about an hour prior to placing it in my new computer.

Could the problem be with the graphics card port on the mobo? Or when is tries to draw lots of power from the PSU it takes too much? The graphics card must be working as I was recieving screen input through one of the DVIs on the back of it.

So many questions, hope this narrows stuff down!

facer0ll

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012
More updates if anyone cares to read :

Tried the secondary graphics card port, same thing.

My thinking is this:

With Power Surge protection in the BIOS turned on, as soon as the video card recieves a higher voltage, the mobo thinks "Oh no, a surge, better turn everything off"

With Surge protection turned off, I got about a second of seeing the graphics before it shuts itself down.

I think it may be the motherboard causing everything to shut down when the graphics card calls for more power, as the integrated graphics seem to run fine.