Using Internal CD-RW drive as an EXTERNAL device

I want to transfer large files to CDs from a computer that doesn't have an internal CD-RW drive. The computer doesn't have a USB port either. I have a spare INTERNAL CD-RW and I want to use it as an external device so I could tranfer the files to CDs.

How could I do this? What cables/connectors/convertors would I need? Do I need special software to make it work? I want to use it using a serial or parallel port but not using a USB port.

Any help would be appreciated.

<font color=blue><i>Mankind must put an end to War,
or War will put an end to mankind!<i></font color=blue>
4 answers Last reply
More about using internal drive external device
  1. There are kits that will turn an internal drive to an external one. Forgot the exact name of them, though.

Rob
    Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>
  2. The computer from which I want to tranfer files to CDs is a public computer at my university. I would get into big trouble trying to open it up!! I don't think it is possible to open it. I want a different solution. I want to use the serial/parrallel ports in the back of it. I know I have to modify the CD-RW drive a bit, but what do I have to do? Can anyone help? How do external Zip drives or external CD-RW work? Which ports do they use?

<font color=blue><i>Mankind must put an end to War,
    or War will put an end to mankind!<i></font color=blue>
  3. just put the files up on a ftp, even if you could get a kit to make it work on a serial port i dont think you could write faster than 1x.

access-list 1 deny stupid comments
    int eyes
    ip access-group 1 in
  4. I don't even know if it would write at 1X. USB maxed out at 4X and com ports/serial prots are only 8bit I believe. I don't think that this would work.

--------------
    Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.
Ask a new question

Read More

DVD Writers Computer CD-Rom Devices Storage