Sign in with
Your question

Using Internal CD-RW drive as an EXTERNAL device

Last response: in Storage
December 23, 2001 10:13:27 PM

I want to transfer large files to CDs from a computer that doesn't have an internal CD-RW drive. The computer doesn't have a USB port either. I have a spare INTERNAL CD-RW and I want to use it as an external device so I could tranfer the files to CDs.

How could I do this? What cables/connectors/convertors would I need? Do I need special software to make it work? I want to use it using a serial or parallel port but not using a USB port.

Any help would be appreciated.

<font color=blue><i>Mankind must put an end to War,
or War will put an end to mankind!<i></font color=blue>
December 24, 2001 7:41:18 PM

The computer from which I want to tranfer files to CDs is a public computer at my university. I would get into big trouble trying to open it up!! I don't think it is possible to open it. I want a different solution. I want to use the serial/parrallel ports in the back of it. I know I have to modify the CD-RW drive a bit, but what do I have to do? Can anyone help? How do external Zip drives or external CD-RW work? Which ports do they use?

<font color=blue><i>Mankind must put an end to War,
or War will put an end to mankind!<i></font color=blue>
Related resources
December 31, 2001 3:22:47 PM

just put the files up on a ftp, even if you could get a kit to make it work on a serial port i dont think you could write faster than 1x.

access-list 1 deny stupid comments
int eyes
ip access-group 1 in
January 3, 2002 1:23:22 AM

I don't even know if it would write at 1X. USB maxed out at 4X and com ports/serial prots are only 8bit I believe. I don't think that this would work.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.
!