Comment on this build please (gaming PC)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($118.24 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.79 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Intel 520 Series Cherryville 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($138.64 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($189.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.25 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $936.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-24 22:44 EST-0500)

The computer will be for gaming, programming, and everyday/school use. This will be my first time building and I don't know much (or anything) about hardware so I'm hoping you can give me some advice.

I'm also thinking about adding in a $30 cooler, like this one. My budget is $900; the reason I'm allowing this to be over my budget is because I hope to get some deals out of boxing day.

Thanks in advance.
7 answers Last reply
More about comment build gaming
  1. Hi. This PSU will do for you: XFX Core Edition PRO550W
    And you can go with either one of these popular coolers: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus or Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Edit: Everything else looks good. The money you save with the PSU can be used to upgrade your GPU to either the HD 7870 or GTX 660 and yes the PSU can handle those with ease.
  2. perfect :D

your PSU price is suspicious, at 90 price point you should have silver certified options, not bronze
  3. Looks like it may have been mislabeled.
    It says gold here: (from newegg)

Thanks for the help. I'll post again if I have more questions before I finalize the build.
  4. I was told that the XFX Core Edition PRO550W is not modular while the Corsair one is.
  5. I suspected you might be looking for a modular PSU. It's true that the XFX isn't modular. I was just trying to save you money if you didn't have preference on modular cabling.
  6. I think I'll go with a modular one. Will this PSU be good enough? http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/part/antec-power-supply-bp550plus
  7. Also, will any ~$30 cooler do?
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product