Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Occassional freezing of my newly built rig

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 25, 2012 2:01:18 AM

Hi there,

Its been three months since I built this new rig and I have been having this serious problem ever since. It keeps freezing up on an irregular intervals. The screen stays with whatever was there, keyboard becomes unresponsive after I press the numlock few times and the mouse turns of after few seconds. I have tried replacing the Motherboad, checked the RAMs one by one. I also tried changing the PSU. I desperately need a fix for this. Kindly show me a bliss....!

Specs:

AMD FX 6100 3.3GHz
ASUS M5A88-V EVO
1 X Corsair Value 4GB DDR3 1333MHz
1 X Transcend 4GB DDR3 1333MHz
ASUS nVidia Geforce GTX550 Ti 1 GB DDR5
Western Digital SATA HDD 500GB
Seagate HDD 2TB
Cooler Master Extreme II 600W PSU
Windows 8 Pro with Media Center

Thanks,
Jaffar
December 25, 2012 2:10:59 AM

i dont think it might help

but these are maybe the culprit
Cooler Master Extreme II 600W PSU
Windows 8 Pro with Media Center

windows 8 is not fully compatible for some hardware driver. in my case, my wifi usb doesnt work and blue screen after installing driver.

CM is not reputable brand for psu. it is maybe failed

just my 0.02 someone can correct me
m
0
l
December 25, 2012 8:28:06 AM

AMD Radeon said:
i dont think it might help

but these are maybe the culprit
Cooler Master Extreme II 600W PSU
Windows 8 Pro with Media Center

windows 8 is not fully compatible for some hardware driver. in my case, my wifi usb doesnt work and blue screen after installing driver.

CM is not reputable brand for psu. it is maybe failed

just my 0.02 someone can correct me


I don't think its the power supply since I tried changing it but still the same.... Nor the Windows 8 since it's not logging any errors or no blue screen.... I have no idea what to do... :-(
m
0
l
Related resources
December 25, 2012 8:34:41 AM

jaffar_fg said:
I don't think its the power supply since I tried changing it but still the same.... Nor the Windows 8 since it's not logging any errors or no blue screen.... I have no idea what to do... :-(

just rip out everything other than the minimum and disable stuff in bios (sound, network,etc) to if you have to till you get it stable then turn things on one at a time. CM do make crappy psus
m
0
l
December 25, 2012 9:02:50 AM

jasont78 said:
just rip out everything other than the minimum and disable stuff in bios (sound, network,etc) to if you have to till you get it stable then turn things on one at a time. CM do make crappy psus


Sure Jason... Thanks for your help! I will try that and let you know what happened... Also, Do you think a UPS would cause any such trouble? everything is new that I'm currently using.... Its just a day since I bought the PSU....
m
0
l
December 25, 2012 9:22:16 AM

it shouldnt but if you have ruled out software its a process of elimation with the hardware so lesser amount of variables the better
m
0
l
December 25, 2012 10:29:56 AM

with new hardware make sure your mb bios is up to date so it has all the bug fixes. i see that you have two stick of ram from two vendors. make sure the ram has the ram timing and voltage. ie 9-9-9-9-9 and 1.5 or 1.65.
run memtest to see if one stick is bad.
m
0
l
December 25, 2012 3:24:50 PM

Hi everyone, I ripped everything out of the cabinet and ran memtest. It ran for about an hour and half and did not freeze. Memtest did not show up any error. I re-assembled everything making sure that the standoffs don't short with anything. Its running without freezing for a while... I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.. I will post what happened.... Thanks!
m
0
l
December 26, 2012 1:19:29 PM

It froze up on me again..!! :-(
m
0
l
December 26, 2012 1:19:35 PM

Can someone tell me if this affects my hard drive?
m
0
l
!