My computer crashes a few minutes into a game

I recently had my computer built from CyberPowerPC. After a few minutes into a game (for less demanding games) it crashes my computer and it freezes and becomes unresponsive, forcing me to hard shut down. I tried reseating the GPU (which is an AMD Radeon HD 7970) and the RAM. I also tried to play games with one stick of RAM. In addition, I updated all of the drivers and it still crashes. Please try to help and Happy Holidays!
6 answers Last reply
More about computer crashes minutes game
  1. check CPU temp byw using hardware monitor

    and make it with prime95....

    if the temp goes above 80 celcius, thats real problem. you need aftermarket cooling
  2. Do check your temps, but...what PSU did you get? If it's the stock one, it probably can't hold up its end of the log. Is its fan really loud?
    A hot CPU usually throttles; it shouldn't just crash, and a hot GPU typically artifacts before it crashes. Do you have decent airflow through the case, or does it just have a bunch of fans fighting each other (e.g. all exhaust and no intake)? Balance the fans, keeping in mind the PSU is an exhaust. If it's the stock PSU, you might try underclocking everything to bring down the power usage. If that works, then replace the PSU.
  3. Onus said:
    Do check your temps, but...what PSU did you get? If it's the stock one, it probably can't hold up its end of the log. Is its fan really loud?
    A hot CPU usually throttles; it shouldn't just crash, and a hot GPU typically artifacts before it crashes. Do you have decent airflow through the case, or does it just have a bunch of fans fighting each other (e.g. all exhaust and no intake)? Balance the fans, keeping in mind the PSU is an exhaust. If it's the stock PSU, you might try underclocking everything to bring down the power usage. If that works, then replace the PSU.



    The PSU is a 750w PSU by Corsair. The fan is not loud and the GPU temperatures do not exceed 72 degrees Celsius. There is a 120mm fan and a 2 80mm fans on the case. The case is big so airflow is not a problem.
  4. AMD Radeon said:
    check CPU temp byw using hardware monitor

    and make it with prime95....

    if the temp goes above 80 celcius, thats real problem. you need aftermarket cooling


    Thank you for your reply. I used CPUID to check the temperatures and ran a benchmark in windowed mode. The temperatures for the CPU did not go higher than 59 degrees and 72 degrees for the GPU. There are multiple fans in my case so I am sure that over heating is not a problem. Also may you please clarify what "prime 95" is?
    Thanks for your time!
  5. ProGamer said:
    I recently had my computer built from CyberPowerPC. After a few minutes into a game (for less demanding games) it crashes my computer and it freezes and becomes unresponsive, forcing me to hard shut down. I tried reseating the GPU (which is an AMD Radeon HD 7970) and the RAM. I also tried to play games with one stick of RAM. In addition, I updated all of the drivers and it still crashes. Please try to help and Happy Holidays!


    If your system is overclocked, you can try removing the overclock settings and see if it resolves your hard lock issue. The issue could also be driver related. Did you install any old hardware or software from a previous computer? If so, please try to uninstall that hardware/software. If this is note the case and you are still having this issue, please contact tech support at 888/900-5180 or techsupport@cyberpowerpc.com
  6. CyberHD said:
    If your system is overclocked, you can try removing the overclock settings and see if it resolves your hard lock issue. The issue could also be driver related. Did you install any old hardware or software from a previous computer? If so, please try to uninstall that hardware/software. If this is note the case and you are still having this issue, please contact tech support at 888/900-5180 or techsupport@cyberpowerpc.com



    Nothing is overclocked and I didn't download any old software from my old computer. I tried restoring my computer and starting fresh again but it still freezes.
Ask a new question

Read More

Cyberpower Games Computer Systems