My computer crashes a few minutes into a game

ProGamer

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
I recently had my computer built from CyberPowerPC. After a few minutes into a game (for less demanding games) it crashes my computer and it freezes and becomes unresponsive, forcing me to hard shut down. I tried reseating the GPU (which is an AMD Radeon HD 7970) and the RAM. I also tried to play games with one stick of RAM. In addition, I updated all of the drivers and it still crashes. Please try to help and Happy Holidays!

Do check your temps, but...what PSU did you get? If it's the stock one, it probably can't hold up its end of the log. Is its fan really loud?
A hot CPU usually throttles; it shouldn't just crash, and a hot GPU typically artifacts before it crashes. Do you have decent airflow through the case, or does it just have a bunch of fans fighting each other (e.g. all exhaust and no intake)? Balance the fans, keeping in mind the PSU is an exhaust. If it's the stock PSU, you might try underclocking everything to bring down the power usage. If that works, then replace the PSU.

ProGamer

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

The PSU is a 750w PSU by Corsair. The fan is not loud and the GPU temperatures do not exceed 72 degrees Celsius. There is a 120mm fan and a 2 80mm fans on the case. The case is big so airflow is not a problem.

ProGamer

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

Thank you for your reply. I used CPUID to check the temperatures and ran a benchmark in windowed mode. The temperatures for the CPU did not go higher than 59 degrees and 72 degrees for the GPU. There are multiple fans in my case so I am sure that over heating is not a problem. Also may you please clarify what "prime 95" is?
Thanks for your time!

CyberHD

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010

If your system is overclocked, you can try removing the overclock settings and see if it resolves your hard lock issue. The issue could also be driver related. Did you install any old hardware or software from a previous computer? If so, please try to uninstall that hardware/software. If this is note the case and you are still having this issue, please contact tech support at 888/900-5180 or techsupport@cyberpowerpc.com

ProGamer

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

Nothing is overclocked and I didn't download any old software from my old computer. I tried restoring my computer and starting fresh again but it still freezes.