Sign in with
Your question

Absolutely stumped, GTX570

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 6, 2012 11:32:11 PM

I ran into a problem with my gtx 570. One day, after making no hardware changes to my computer, I turned on the computer and nothing displayed on my screen except for "No Input Detected." I thought it might be the gtx 570, but it worked fine in my brother's computer. So I did some troubleshooting.

At this point I've basically switched out everything, and I get the same problem every time. My brother's computer is running an phenom ii x3 on a biostar p67 motherboard, with a 600w psu. His graphics card is an hd4870. My computer is running an i5-2500k on a msi p67 motherboard (old) with a corsair 850w psu. I recently got a new motherboard, an asrock z77. I tried it with both. I tested both power supplies with a multimeter, and all of the voltages were correct for both psu's.

Here's the troubleshooting I did.
GTX570 in my brother's computer, works.
HD4870 in my computer, works.
HD4870 in my computer with new motherboard, works.
HD4870 in my computer with new motherboard and brother's power supply, works.
GTX570 in my computer with new motherboard, doesnt work.
GTX570 in my computer with new motherboard and brother's power supply, doesnt work.
GTX570 in my computer with old motherboard and brother's power supply, doesnt work.
GTX570 and my power supply in my brother's computer, works.
HD4870 and my power supply in my brother's computer, works.
GTX570, new motherboard, brother's power supply, different ram, doesnt work.
I've also tried different monitors and video cables.

My new asrock motherboard allows me to run onboard graphics, so I made sure to go into the bios and make it default to pci-e for video.

The only thing that I haven't changed is the processor. The only connection I can make is that my brother's computer is running an amd processor, and mine is running an intel processor. But I've never even thought it possible that a graphics card could suddenly work on one type, and not on another. And my i5-2500k works perfectly well when I have the hd4870 gpu plugged in. At this point I'm absolutely baffled. If anyone has any idea what's going on, I'd love the help.
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 6, 2012 11:38:25 PM

I might have missed it but, have you tried the GTX in your comp. with your bro's monitor?
m
l
November 7, 2012 1:35:05 AM

Dom_79 said:
I might have missed it but, have you tried the GTX in your comp. with your bro's monitor?

I already tried that, sadly.... I'm running out of options here
m
l
Related resources
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 7, 2012 1:47:26 AM

Clearly the problem is motherboard related with every thing you tested. I'm assuming you don't even get a post. Either a Bios update issue, Bios setting, or the PCIe slot is bad. Have you tried a different PCIe slot, or blow air through the one you've been trying?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 7, 2012 11:46:58 AM

Clearly the issue lies in the motherboard. It's a very strange problem though. I'm thinking that the PIC-E slot might have a bad solder joint somewhere. ATI and Nvidia cards are made by different manufacturers so there is a possibility that the gold pins connect a little differently to the cards. The bad solder joint might affect Nvidia cards but not Ati/AMD cards. And it might not be limited to that either. Although I'm not sure about that it's the best answer I could come up with.
m
l
!