If olympus is dead, Nikon is where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacey

http://www.forbes.com/technology/newswire/2004/02/09/rtr1252995.html

http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/portfolio/ir/ir_tool/ar/pdf/2004/04annual_e01.pdf

Hmm wonder how they are still selling cameras if they -lost- money as a
corporation for two years in a row? Isn't that a sure sign they are going
under? Olympus has a loss one year in one segment of their company and
everyone is posting like they have one foot in the grave.

Looking at this, I fail to see how anyone could think olympus is doing
poorly and about to bite the dust.

http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/corc/ir/financial/pdf/n050509aE.pdf

Yes their film camera sales were down 45%, big surprise there. Wonder why
they are shutting down some factories? Yea right it's the dSLRs that are
causing this, which is what part of the 2% down their TOTAL digital camera
sales were down?

Anyone that thinks olympus is in trouble (and people should avoid their
products like they are going bankrupt) because they closed a few plants in
china has no clue about how corporations operate or how to read a financial
statement. They made more than enough on medical imaging to make up for
being killed by their film camera sales tanking in their imaging
department. A less diverse company -would- have been in trouble...
--

Stacey

> http://www.forbes.com/technology/newswire/2004/02/09/rtr1252995.html
>
> http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/portfolio/ir/ir_tool/ar/pdf/2004/04annual_e01.pdf
>

> Hmm wonder how they are still selling cameras if they -lost- money as a
> corporation for two years in a row? Isn't that a sure sign they are going
> under? Olympus has a loss one year in one segment of their company and
> everyone is posting like they have one foot in the grave.
>
> Looking at this, I fail to see how anyone could think olympus is doing
> poorly and about to bite the dust.
>
> http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/corc/ir/financial/pdf/n050509aE.pdf
>
> Yes their film camera sales were down 45%, big surprise there. Wonder why
> they are shutting down some factories? Yea right it's the dSLRs that are
> causing this, which is what part of the 2% down their TOTAL digital camera
> sales were down?
>
> Anyone that thinks olympus is in trouble (and people should avoid their
> products like they are going bankrupt) because they closed a few plants in
> china has no clue about how corporations operate or how to read a
> financial
> statement. They made more than enough on medical imaging to make up for
> being killed by their film camera sales tanking in their imaging
> department. A less diverse company -would- have been in trouble...
> --
>
> Stacey

You make a good point. Olympus has always been a leader in medical
photography, and everybody I know who has an Olympus camera loves it,
although their high-end cameras don't get the respect Nikon and Canon do. I
had a chance to review an Olympus medical kit for an article and loved the
camera. However, when it came time to by a new digital for myself I got a
D70. Of course, I already had a plethora of Nikon lenses to use with it.
Shame I had to send the Olympus back, however.

Darrell

> http://www.forbes.com/technology/newswire/2004/02/09/rtr1252995.html
>
> http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/portfolio/ir/ir_tool/ar/pdf/2004/04annual_e01.pdf
>

> Hmm wonder how they are still selling cameras if they -lost- money as a
> corporation for two years in a row? Isn't that a sure sign they are going
> under? Olympus has a loss one year in one segment of their company and
> everyone is posting like they have one foot in the grave.
>
> Looking at this, I fail to see how anyone could think olympus is doing
> poorly and about to bite the dust.
>
> http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/corc/ir/financial/pdf/n050509aE.pdf
>
> Yes their film camera sales were down 45%, big surprise there. Wonder why
> they are shutting down some factories? Yea right it's the dSLRs that are
> causing this, which is what part of the 2% down their TOTAL digital camera
> sales were down?
>
> Anyone that thinks olympus is in trouble (and people should avoid their
> products like they are going bankrupt) because they closed a few plants in
> china has no clue about how corporations operate or how to read a
> financial
> statement. They made more than enough on medical imaging to make up for
> being killed by their film camera sales tanking in their imaging
> department. A less diverse company -would- have been in trouble...
> --

Hmmm, perhaps it's because Nikon has very deep pockets, or perhaps their
parents have deeper pockets?

"Sheldon" <sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote in message

> "Stacey" <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > http://www.forbes.com/technology/newswire/2004/02/09/rtr1252995.html

http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/portfolio/ir/ir_tool/ar/pdf/2004/04annual_e01.pdf

> > Hmm wonder how they are still selling cameras if they -lost- money as a
> > corporation for two years in a row? Isn't that a sure sign they are
going
> > under? Olympus has a loss one year in one segment of their company and
> > everyone is posting like they have one foot in the grave.
> >
> > Looking at this, I fail to see how anyone could think olympus is doing
> > poorly and about to bite the dust.
> >
> > http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/corc/ir/financial/pdf/n050509aE.pdf
> >
> > Yes their film camera sales were down 45%, big surprise there. Wonder
why
> > they are shutting down some factories? Yea right it's the dSLRs that are
> > causing this, which is what part of the 2% down their TOTAL digital
camera
> > sales were down?
> >
> > Anyone that thinks olympus is in trouble (and people should avoid their
> > products like they are going bankrupt) because they closed a few plants
in
> > china has no clue about how corporations operate or how to read a
> > financial
> > statement. They made more than enough on medical imaging to make up for
> > being killed by their film camera sales tanking in their imaging
> > department. A less diverse company -would- have been in trouble...
> > --
> >
> > Stacey
>
> You make a good point. Olympus has always been a leader in medical
> photography, and everybody I know who has an Olympus camera loves it,
> although their high-end cameras don't get the respect Nikon and Canon do.
> had a chance to review an Olympus medical kit for an article and loved the
> camera. However, when it came time to by a new digital for myself I got a
> D70. Of course, I already had a plethora of Nikon lenses to use with it.
> Shame I had to send the Olympus back, however.

I use Olympus colonoscopes and gastroscopes almost exclusively and they
produce great images. Pentax is the only serious competitor. But I don't
want to hang pictures of polyps in my living room, so I use my D70 for
general photography.

Sheldon wrote:
> "Stacey" <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>http://www.forbes.com/technology/newswire/2004/02/09/rtr1252995.html
>>
>>http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/portfolio/ir/ir_tool/ar/pdf/2004/04annual_e01.pdf
>>

>>Hmm wonder how they are still selling cameras if they -lost- money as a
>>corporation for two years in a row? Isn't that a sure sign they are going
>>under? Olympus has a loss one year in one segment of their company and
>>everyone is posting like they have one foot in the grave.
>>
>>Looking at this, I fail to see how anyone could think olympus is doing
>>poorly and about to bite the dust.
>>
>>http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/corc/ir/financial/pdf/n050509aE.pdf
>>
>>Yes their film camera sales were down 45%, big surprise there. Wonder why
>>they are shutting down some factories? Yea right it's the dSLRs that are
>>causing this, which is what part of the 2% down their TOTAL digital camera
>>sales were down?
>>
>>Anyone that thinks olympus is in trouble (and people should avoid their
>>products like they are going bankrupt) because they closed a few plants in
>>china has no clue about how corporations operate or how to read a
>>financial
>>statement. They made more than enough on medical imaging to make up for
>>being killed by their film camera sales tanking in their imaging
>>department. A less diverse company -would- have been in trouble...
>>--
>>
>> Stacey
>

> You make a good point. Olympus has always been a leader in medical
> photography, and everybody I know who has an Olympus camera loves it,
> although their high-end cameras don't get the respect Nikon and Canon do. I
> had a chance to review an Olympus medical kit for an article and loved the
> camera. However, when it came time to by a new digital for myself I got a
> D70. Of course, I already had a plethora of Nikon lenses to use with it.
> Shame I had to send the Olympus back, however.

Medically speaking, Olympus compete directly with Nikon and Pentax...
Not a Canon in sight! If Olympus get the E1 replacement out sometime
soon they might pick up a few Pros who still recall the halcyon days of
Olympus being a serious camera choice. I'm likely to be on the age
pension before that hell returns or freezes over.

--
Douglas...
It's traditional, painter's use it, Rembrandt used it.