If olympus is dead, Nikon is where?

http://www.forbes.com/technology/newswire/2004/02/09/rtr1252995.html

http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/portfolio/ir/ir_tool/ar/pdf/2004/04annual_e01.pdf

Hmm wonder how they are still selling cameras if they -lost- money as a
corporation for two years in a row? Isn't that a sure sign they are going
under? Olympus has a loss one year in one segment of their company and
everyone is posting like they have one foot in the grave.

Looking at this, I fail to see how anyone could think olympus is doing
poorly and about to bite the dust.

http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/corc/ir/financial/pdf/n050509aE.pdf

Yes their film camera sales were down 45%, big surprise there. Wonder why
they are shutting down some factories? Yea right it's the dSLRs that are
causing this, which is what part of the 2% down their TOTAL digital camera
sales were down?

Anyone that thinks olympus is in trouble (and people should avoid their
products like they are going bankrupt) because they closed a few plants in
china has no clue about how corporations operate or how to read a financial
statement. They made more than enough on medical imaging to make up for
being killed by their film camera sales tanking in their imaging
department. A less diverse company -would- have been in trouble...
--

Stacey
5 answers Last reply

    > http://www.forbes.com/technology/newswire/2004/02/09/rtr1252995.html
    >
    > http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/portfolio/ir/ir_tool/ar/pdf/2004/04annual_e01.pdf
    >

    > Hmm wonder how they are still selling cameras if they -lost- money as a
    > corporation for two years in a row? Isn't that a sure sign they are going
    > under? Olympus has a loss one year in one segment of their company and
    > everyone is posting like they have one foot in the grave.
    >
    > Looking at this, I fail to see how anyone could think olympus is doing
    > poorly and about to bite the dust.
    >
    > http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/corc/ir/financial/pdf/n050509aE.pdf
    >
    > Yes their film camera sales were down 45%, big surprise there. Wonder why
    > they are shutting down some factories? Yea right it's the dSLRs that are
    > causing this, which is what part of the 2% down their TOTAL digital camera
    > sales were down?
    >
    > Anyone that thinks olympus is in trouble (and people should avoid their
    > products like they are going bankrupt) because they closed a few plants in
    > china has no clue about how corporations operate or how to read a
    > financial
    > statement. They made more than enough on medical imaging to make up for
    > being killed by their film camera sales tanking in their imaging
    > department. A less diverse company -would- have been in trouble...
    > --
    >
    > Stacey

    You make a good point. Olympus has always been a leader in medical
    photography, and everybody I know who has an Olympus camera loves it,
    although their high-end cameras don't get the respect Nikon and Canon do. I
    had a chance to review an Olympus medical kit for an article and loved the
    camera. However, when it came time to by a new digital for myself I got a
    D70. Of course, I already had a plethora of Nikon lenses to use with it.
    Shame I had to send the Olympus back, however.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    > http://www.forbes.com/technology/newswire/2004/02/09/rtr1252995.html
    >
    > http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/portfolio/ir/ir_tool/ar/pdf/2004/04annual_e01.pdf
    >

    > Hmm wonder how they are still selling cameras if they -lost- money as a
    > corporation for two years in a row? Isn't that a sure sign they are going
    > under? Olympus has a loss one year in one segment of their company and
    > everyone is posting like they have one foot in the grave.
    >
    > Looking at this, I fail to see how anyone could think olympus is doing
    > poorly and about to bite the dust.
    >
    > http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/corc/ir/financial/pdf/n050509aE.pdf
    >
    > Yes their film camera sales were down 45%, big surprise there. Wonder why
    > they are shutting down some factories? Yea right it's the dSLRs that are
    > causing this, which is what part of the 2% down their TOTAL digital camera
    > sales were down?
    >
    > Anyone that thinks olympus is in trouble (and people should avoid their
    > products like they are going bankrupt) because they closed a few plants in
    > china has no clue about how corporations operate or how to read a
    > financial
    > statement. They made more than enough on medical imaging to make up for
    > being killed by their film camera sales tanking in their imaging
    > department. A less diverse company -would- have been in trouble...
    > --

    Hmmm, perhaps it's because Nikon has very deep pockets, or perhaps their
    parents have deeper pockets?
  3. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    "Sheldon" <sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote in message

    > "Stacey" <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > http://www.forbes.com/technology/newswire/2004/02/09/rtr1252995.html

    http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/portfolio/ir/ir_tool/ar/pdf/2004/04annual_e01.pdf

    > > Hmm wonder how they are still selling cameras if they -lost- money as a
    > > corporation for two years in a row? Isn't that a sure sign they are
    going
    > > under? Olympus has a loss one year in one segment of their company and
    > > everyone is posting like they have one foot in the grave.
    > >
    > > Looking at this, I fail to see how anyone could think olympus is doing
    > > poorly and about to bite the dust.
    > >
    > > http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/corc/ir/financial/pdf/n050509aE.pdf
    > >
    > > Yes their film camera sales were down 45%, big surprise there. Wonder
    why
    > > they are shutting down some factories? Yea right it's the dSLRs that are
    > > causing this, which is what part of the 2% down their TOTAL digital
    camera
    > > sales were down?
    > >
    > > Anyone that thinks olympus is in trouble (and people should avoid their
    > > products like they are going bankrupt) because they closed a few plants
    in
    > > china has no clue about how corporations operate or how to read a
    > > financial
    > > statement. They made more than enough on medical imaging to make up for
    > > being killed by their film camera sales tanking in their imaging
    > > department. A less diverse company -would- have been in trouble...
    > > --
    > >
    > > Stacey
    >
    > You make a good point. Olympus has always been a leader in medical
    > photography, and everybody I know who has an Olympus camera loves it,
    > although their high-end cameras don't get the respect Nikon and Canon do.
    > had a chance to review an Olympus medical kit for an article and loved the
    > camera. However, when it came time to by a new digital for myself I got a
    > D70. Of course, I already had a plethora of Nikon lenses to use with it.
    > Shame I had to send the Olympus back, however.

    I use Olympus colonoscopes and gastroscopes almost exclusively and they
    produce great images. Pentax is the only serious competitor. But I don't
    want to hang pictures of polyps in my living room, so I use my D70 for
    general photography.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

    Sheldon wrote:
    > "Stacey" <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>http://www.forbes.com/technology/newswire/2004/02/09/rtr1252995.html
    >>
    >>http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/portfolio/ir/ir_tool/ar/pdf/2004/04annual_e01.pdf
    >>

    >>Hmm wonder how they are still selling cameras if they -lost- money as a
    >>corporation for two years in a row? Isn't that a sure sign they are going
    >>under? Olympus has a loss one year in one segment of their company and
    >>everyone is posting like they have one foot in the grave.
    >>
    >>Looking at this, I fail to see how anyone could think olympus is doing
    >>poorly and about to bite the dust.
    >>
    >>http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/corc/ir/financial/pdf/n050509aE.pdf
    >>
    >>Yes their film camera sales were down 45%, big surprise there. Wonder why
    >>they are shutting down some factories? Yea right it's the dSLRs that are
    >>causing this, which is what part of the 2% down their TOTAL digital camera
    >>sales were down?
    >>
    >>Anyone that thinks olympus is in trouble (and people should avoid their
    >>products like they are going bankrupt) because they closed a few plants in
    >>china has no clue about how corporations operate or how to read a
    >>financial
    >>statement. They made more than enough on medical imaging to make up for
    >>being killed by their film camera sales tanking in their imaging
    >>department. A less diverse company -would- have been in trouble...
    >>--
    >>
    >> Stacey
    >

    > You make a good point. Olympus has always been a leader in medical
    > photography, and everybody I know who has an Olympus camera loves it,
    > although their high-end cameras don't get the respect Nikon and Canon do. I
    > had a chance to review an Olympus medical kit for an article and loved the
    > camera. However, when it came time to by a new digital for myself I got a
    > D70. Of course, I already had a plethora of Nikon lenses to use with it.
    > Shame I had to send the Olympus back, however.

    Medically speaking, Olympus compete directly with Nikon and Pentax...
    Not a Canon in sight! If Olympus get the E1 replacement out sometime
    soon they might pick up a few Pros who still recall the halcyon days of
    Olympus being a serious camera choice. I'm likely to be on the age
    pension before that hell returns or freezes over.

    --
    Douglas...
    It's traditional, painter's use it, Rembrandt used it.

    larrylook wrote:

    > I use Olympus colonoscopes and gastroscopes almost exclusively and they
    > produce great images.

    You are not invited to the SI !!! ;-)

    -- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

SLR Cameras Olympus