best method for caprturing video

skimzzz

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2001
I have an older ATI all in wonder (128 mb) card with TV out. I tried to watch TV and capture from VCR with this card into MPG-2. In both cases, the quality of the capture was poor and not worth the effort.

How good a quality can you get from capturing video from the TV/VCR with these newer cards out there today? Can you actually recreate the same TV/VCR quality with a good card?

thx

yellowood

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2001
Yes you can.

But there are a other things that may be preventing you from getting the best capture quality. I had a problem with my hard drive. It would not function with DMA setting. Capture quality was horrible. I ended up reinstalling win2k and now hard drive is 10 times faster and capture quality is great.

There could be other issue specific to your system: drivers, service packs, bios settings, etc. You can always try out the forum at www.rage3d.com if you don't find all your answers here.

-----
It's a shame we have only one soul to sell...

G

if you are really into editing video I suggest getting a real capture card. the Quality is far better then what you will get using a display/capture card integrated.
You can try capturing to AVI using the card you have now and encode it using a program like TmpgEnc <A HREF="http://www.tmpgenc.net" target="_new">www.TmpgEnc.net</A>

Doing it in two stages take longer time but capturing to uncompressd AVI will resoult in better original material while using a better encoder like TmpgEnc will give you better final quality.

TRENDING THREADS