Closed Solved

Recommended Antivirus? Free and Paid.

I used ESET in the past, it seems like it's not up to par as of today. I do a lot of gaming so I'm looking for some AV's that won't interfere with all of that. (Primarily World of Warcraft)

I've looked in and considered Bitdefender, Vipre, and AVG. But I've seen a bunch of people recommend using a combination of MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) and Malwarebytes together. Would they conflict at all? What would you recommend?
31 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about recommended antivirus free paid
  1. I haven't used Anti Virus is 10 years cause they are a virus or spyware at leased.
  2. AVG is perfecct.

    BUT, they only thing that will keep you protected is safe surfing. i dont have a AV installed right now on this laptop (mean time usage till i finish my mod) and i have no problems.

    torrents, share sites, and general shifty behavior, there is no protecction for that.
  3. Avast is very good. Security essentials is also good and trouble free. malwarebytes antimalware (the free version) is more a cleanup type product unless you get the paid version which has automated scans.

    Really a decent antivirus is all you need if you don't have someone on the PC who is doing "dumb" stuff. (file sharing, torrents, clicking on "your computer might be infected spyware adds)
  4. unksol said:
    Avast is very good. Security essentials is also good and trouble free. malwarebytes antimalware (the free version) is more a cleanup type product unless you get the paid version which has automated scans.

    Really a decent antivirus is all you need if you don't have someone on the PC who is doing "dumb" stuff. (file sharing, torrents, clicking on "your computer might be infected spyware adds)


    Haha, true that. I'm smart about my computing, I don't prefer to use instant messengers, I know people love to send loggers and such through them, so I just stopped using them. I do use torrents, but I'm smart about it. I doubt picking a torrent that only has .mp3 files in it will harm you.

    I'm thinking about MSE / malwarebytes or possibly comodo? I've been seeing and hearing a lot of people say comodo is good.
  5. Kaspersky is best paid.
  6. I am not familiar with comodo. its very possible to have an mp3 packing a virus. usually the names are obvious but... yea. avast always snagged them right away though when my girlfriend used my laptop.

    I've started putting security essentials on peoples though because it just runs. no yearly registration for them to forget about and get infected... that being said my bosses daughter has managed to completely cripple her laptop 3 or 4 times no matter what I put on it... downloading mp3s
  7. How is eset not up to par? It still protects you as well as any other av and it still runs really light. Are you using the latest version?

    I've tried a dozen AVs and the only one I can stand is Eset.

    edit: malware bytes is good too, but for on demand scans not real time scanning. MSE is very bad. Kapersky would be my second choice.
  8. That's just from reviews I've been reading. I might still go with ESET.
  9. Free-Avast..... Paid-G Data
  10. Truth Anti Virus programed were created by the ones whom made the virus to be protected from the anti virus for $29.95 LOL.
  11. Rebmob said:
    Haha, true that. I'm smart about my computing, I don't prefer to use instant messengers, I know people love to send loggers and such through them, so I just stopped using them. I do use torrents, but I'm smart about it. I doubt picking a torrent that only has .mp3 files in it will harm you.

    I'm thinking about MSE / malwarebytes or possibly comodo? I've been seeing and hearing a lot of people say comodo is good.


    an instant messenger is far safer than any torrent file. .mp3 on the end doesnt make it clean.

    IE: if you pick file "currentcoolradiosong.mp3" and download it, windows will decide how to open it based on the file extension. if i wrote malicous code to work in a media player, changing the extension to .mp3 will direct windows to an action, and then it in and done. no such thing as safe music torrenting imo.
  12. Kaspersky anyday. I've had it's versions for like 11 years now. Never had a system slow down or have a entity get in. Been very easy to use and have an amazing database. Very Very customizable if you like to know what is doing what on the machine.
    Been using the paid versions for multiple users and they work just as well as their one month demos. Keeps all my rigs quite safe until now.
  13. guavasauce said:
    an instant messenger is far safer than any torrent file. .mp3 on the end doesnt make it clean.

    IE: if you pick file "currentcoolradiosong.mp3" and download it, windows will decide how to open it based on the file extension. if i wrote malicous code to work in a media player, changing the extension to .mp3 will direct windows to an action, and then it in and done. no such thing as safe music torrenting imo.

    Torrents can be unsafe. That why you read all the comments, and look at how many people are leeching and seeding. As well as using common sense when examining / looking at the files you're downloading. I've yet to come across any mal ware when torrenting. Because I'm smart about which torrents I choose.

    Anonymous said:
    Free-Avast..... Paid-G Data

    G Data seems good... I've read some reviews on that one too. Are all of these we spoke of above light weight?
  14. U can use Avast along with Malwarebytes and Comodo Firewall that is free, but got great results in defending your PC. And u can configure it to your satisfaction with ease.
    Avast! -- Free Antivirus
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware -- helps you defeat Malware once and for all
    SUPERAntiSpyware -- Advanced Detection and Removal
    Comodo Internet Security -- The best free Firewall
  15. Bit Defender and Kaspersky are probably the best two on the market right now. I have been using Kaspersky for 4 years on all my Pc's with the exception of my laptop which has Avast. I think at the moment Kaspersky Pure is suppose to be their top end product, it offers a light weight gaming mode and uses very little memory. I hardly even notice when it is scanning which takes like 4 hours with two 1tb drives. Check Amazon for the price though it seems cheaper than everywhere else.
  16. Bit Defender and Kaspersky and G Data are the best trio.

    Do Antivirus Suites Impact Your PC's Performance?
  17. I was highly considering bitdefender! But then I read it want very lightweight. Not even close.
  18. Rebmob said:
    I was highly considering bitdefender! But then I read it want very lightweight. Not even close.

    What are your PC specs?
  19. 16GB of ram, i5 2500k CPU, 1TB of HDD space, 750W PSU.
  20. Well, it is fast enough to worry about the performance - your system...

    I use Kaspersky, I tried G-data and Bit defender. Nowadays Norton is good too.

    All are light on the system.
  21. AVAST HOME FREE ANTIVIRUS - use for 5 Year no problem! and the new one even have SandBox !

    Besides ... Superantispyware and Malewarebyte Both is a must for maleware!
  22. Best answer
    G Data = Avast and Bitdefender antivirus engines under 1 gui.You get 2 for one and superlightweight.
  23. Malwarebytes. It's OP.
  24. Payed ---> Bitdefender

    Free ---> AVG
  25. Free = MSE
    Paid = Vipre Internet Security
  26. Avast for free.
  27. I'm quite happy with using mse and superantispyware. I never tried any paid antivirus, but the other freeware ones tended to hog resources. I've been using this combo for a couple of years mind you, the other free ones might be a lot better now.
  28. I had real trouble uninstalling AVG, acted more like a virus than a virus, uased vast for years, now i'm on mse and happy with it.
  29. Trend Micro Maximum Security
  30. Best answer selected by Rebmob.
  31. This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Ask a new question

Read More

Security World Of Warcraft Antivirus Security Essentials Windows 7