SDRAM Settings

G

Should there be any special setting I should change in my BIOS rather than the auto detect, or 60ns setting? I have one stick of 256MB PC133 ECC SDRAM CL2 Micron memmory. Just did not know if I should do anything special or just drop it in.
Thanks!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The 60ns setting has no affect on your system and is only used for EDO DIMMS. You probably have a BX chipset board that was originally designed to use either EDO or SDRAM DIMMS. The settings under SDRAM, such as Cas Latency, are the only ones that really matter.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Auto settings usually set it to conservative values so they arent always the best. try setting each parameter manually, starting with CAS delay, which should already be 2, but many BIOSes will set it to 3. Change only one setting at a time, andthe next one after careful analysis of the performance and stability with the last setting.

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

G

Should I adjust any of the following?
RAS Timming
Speculative Read
Delayed Transection

Thanks!

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
all those are settings for different devices.

RAS timing is the only one for memory, you should set it to as low as possible, preferably after the lower CAS timing works fine.

Speculative Read is probably setting for hard disks with larger cache (today most hard disks have caches of 512k~2MB).

Delayed Transaction is a setting for the PCI bus that is supposed to increase the performance a wee-bit.

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>