New GPU advice

Hello all! :hello:
Can someone give me some advice on a great GPU to buy for the gaming pc I am going to build? I am still learning about pc parts.

Here is my info...

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: last week of November 2012

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming(Skyrim, Borderlands 2, other RPGs ), Internet

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: I am using a non-gaming pc with a Geforce 6150se, yeah..:(

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: I am going to build my own pc at the end of this month

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: it doesn't really matter what kind

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080,

BUDGET: $200-$250(approximately) I can go up to $300, but only if it is worth it.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Ok, I have all my other parts picked out for the computer I am going to build. It will cost around $900 without a GPU.

I do not need a Top-of-the-line GPU right now. I do not need AA or Max settings and high/Ultra settings would be nice(but not needed).

My plan is to buy a really great GPU that will last me until about March of next year, then buy a monster video card. I just can't afford the high-end GPUs right now.

_________________________________________________________

I was thinking about this one, it seems like it would deliver quite the performance to me.

XFX Radeon HD 7850
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=70951&vpn=FX785ACDFC&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1257


Any suggestions are welcome :)
16 answers Last reply
More about advice
  1. My opinion, get an HD7770 just for now since you plan on upgrading in a few months, it will play most games with lowered detail.

    We need to know what build you have in mind so we can check for correct wattage.
  2. Novuake said:
    My opinion, get an HD7770 just for now since you plan on upgrading in a few months, it will play most games with lowered detail.

    We need to know what build you have in mind so we can check for correct wattage.


    Ok, sorry about that.

    this is it, I left out a GPU

    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mOb6
  3. +1 on 7770. If you are going to upgrade, the 7770 will be able to handle games decently, and not be too hard on the pocket. I'm assuming you are waiting for the GTX7** and HD8k series, which might be a good idea. A 7770 would do you fine then.
  4. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139040
    larger power supply for a better video card latter.
    amd 8000 cards may be out around the first of the year and the newer 700 cards from nvidia in april. if your going for a better card what i would do is use the onboard intel gpu till the newer cards dropped. the onboard gpu can play some games fine. if your going to toss the old card out or use it as a spare then look into a cheap nvidia 600 card.
  5. Ok, now I am really considering the HD7770.

    I am considering this one then

    Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127687&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

    I WAS considering this..

    Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127681&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

    Should I shell out the extra $120 for the 7870 or not? I don't know if it much of a performance boost or not.
  6. jayrinn said:
    Ok, now I am really considering the HD7770.

    I am considering this one then

    Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127687&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

    I WAS considering this..

    Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127681&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

    Should I shell out the extra $120 for the 7870 or not? I don't know if it much of a performance boost or not.

    if you are not buying 'the monster card' you mention, go ahead. ;) if you still want 'the monster card' next year, buy hd 7770. :D
  7. jayrinn said:
    Ok, now I am really considering the HD7770.

    I am considering this one then

    Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127687&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

    I WAS considering this..

    Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127681&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

    Should I shell out the extra $120 for the 7870 or not? I don't know if it much of a performance boost or not.


    i suggest getting this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102993
    it has better cooling so you can overclock it abit to get some more performance, its just $15 more
  8. jayrinn said:
    Ok, now I am really considering the HD7770.

    I am considering this one then

    Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127687&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

    I WAS considering this..

    Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127681&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

    Should I shell out the extra $120 for the 7870 or not? I don't know if it much of a performance boost or not.


    Rather get this :

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102993

    Duel fan cooler and its dead quiet. I do not trust MSI anymore after they overvolted the Power Edition GTX660ti and GTX670...

    If you are getting the monster card then DO NOT spend the extra money on the HD7870. Especially not the HD78xx series. They have strange issues that still need to be sorted out with drivers. Think they struggled to shrink Pitcairn XT to 28nm GCN process.
  9. tigeryeow said:
    i suggest getting this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102993
    it has better cooling so you can overclock it abit to get some more performance, its just $15 more


    LOL!!! You are also a vapor-x Fan???
  10. Novuake said:
    LOL!!! You are also a vapor-x Fan???


    haha vapour-x FTW
  11. Novuake said:
    Rather get this :

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102993

    Duel fan cooler and its dead quiet. I do not trust MSI anymore after they overvolted the Power Edition GTX660ti and GTX670...

    If you are getting the monster card then DO NOT spend the extra money on the HD7870. Especially not the HD78xx series. They have strange issues that still need to be sorted out with drivers. Think they struggled to shrink Pitcairn XT to 28nm GCN process.


    ah, thanks. :) I don't know anything about drivers, but if there are issues, then I don't want to deal with them.

    Could you tell me what settings I could play games like Skyrim and Borderlands 2 on the HD7770?
  12. i think around high
  13. I'm confused. You are buying a gpu to last you until March for a new build you are doing this month? If I was you I would just use the intel hd 4000 until you can afford a real gpu. What will you do with the 7770 once you buy something better? It just sounds like a waste of money to me.
  14. jayrinn said:
    ah, thanks. :) I don't know anything about drivers, but if there are issues, then I don't want to deal with them.

    Could you tell me what settings I could play games like Skyrim and Borderlands 2 on the HD7770?


    Neither of thise games are extremely gpu intensive. Should be able to almost max it out at d resolution. Maybe not 100% max. But close.
  15. wanderer11 said:
    I'm confused. You are buying a gpu to last you until March for a new build you are doing this month? If I was you I would just use the intel hd 4000 until you can afford a real gpu. What will you do with the 7770 once you buy something better? It just sounds like a waste of money to me.


    Well, I plan on using the 7770 until march and then placing it in my mom's computer since she likes to play games too. I just need something to hold me over while I put money back for a great GPU for then.
  16. Novuake said:
    Neither of thise games are extremely gpu intensive. Should be able to almost max it out at d resolution. Maybe not 100% max. But close.


    Ok, you convinced me to get the 7770 :) It is much better than I expected since I would have been fine with low settings

    Thank you for the information about it
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs Gaming Graphics Product