Solved

Home built Desktop won't post after working for a year

Good morning and Merry Christmas,
I am looking for some advice with regard to my homebuilt computer that has recently stopped working (It is about a year old). The problem is that when I push the power button, it will begin to start (lights and fans), then then almost immediately turn off. It will stay off for approx 5 sec then cycle the same way without posting.

I walked through "perform these steps' post and ended up at breadboarding the mobo, cpu and hsf. It still cycles on and off with no beeps at all.

I tested the PSU. It is operating while green and black paperclipped and fan connected, and I also tested the wires for voltage and they are all reading correctly.

I am not sure where to go at this point. It would seem that I am looking at replacing a mobo, cpu, hsf, or some combination of all three. Before I do that though, I thought I would ask if I can get closer to the actual component that is inoperable or if I need to just start replacing items. If I do, do I need to replace all three, or start with one at a time. If that is the case, where do I start?

- Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000

- GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

- ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

- Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC ...
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about home built desktop post working year
  1. intel 3570k
    asrock z77 extreme4
    coolermaster 212 evo
    xfx 550 or 750

they are the most popluar combination here :)
  2. Best answer
    It's the motherboard, I'm sure.
    Double check by using the same processor in a similar computer.
    (This happened to me once, go to a local computer repair shop, and ask if they can test if the processor works.)
  3. ^ follow him to save you from wasting money :)
  4. If I do need to replace the mobo, does anyone have suggestions for a replacement?

- Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

- EVGA 01G-P3-1372-TR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
  5. asrock z77 extreme4 is still a good choice, it will work with your older 2500k
  6. So I followed Kiowa's advice and took the mobo/cpu/hsf to repair shop and determined the mobo was the problem. Replaced it with the asrock z77 extreme4. Successful breadboard so installed everything and looks like I am close.
  7. So I followed Kiowa's advice and took the mobo/cpu/hsf to repair shop and determined the mobo was the problem. Replaced it with the asrock z77 extreme4. Successful breadboard so installed everything and looks like I am close.

At this point, windows is asking to run startup repair, which I can run, but when I do, the mouse and keyboard stop working so I can't do anything further. My plan is to try repair off the Windows 7 DVD, but before I do, I wanted to ask if I should be concerned about possibly losing information on my HDD. I have an SSD for windows 7 and a separate HDD for everything else. Would I be better off doing a full reinstall?
  8. Figured out that my mouse and keyboard were in operable because I was using USB 3.0. Switched to 2.0.

Tried to run startup repair, but ulitmately had to do a clean install of Windows 7. Backed up my HDD, but so far it is intact since Windows was on SSD drive.
    Thanks for the help!
  9. Best answer selected by Xfactor56.
Ask a new question

Read More

Systems