graphics still choppy

Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 3, 2005 4:03:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942,alt.games.ea.battlefield (More info?)

Biostar MB w/ AMD XP 2200+, 1G PC3200 DDR with latest drivers
On-board sound with latest drivers (I know but no open slot for sound
card). Sound is set for Software, low, EAX off and VOIP off.
Leadtek A 6600GT THD w/ 128M, latest 77.72 drivers

The best I can normally do to have it playable (20-30 FPS) with minimal
choppiness seems to be either 800x600 with graphics settings on medium
or 1024x768 with graphics on low. Both of these on 16 player maps and AA
off. Ranked or not doesn't seem to matter. Larger maps or increasing
settings and FPS drops.I really like the higher resolution but watching
the grass grow in front of me as I move is a bit weird.

I tried all these with no noticeable effect:
-updated PB using pbweb.exe
-defrag hard disk
-turned off all background tasks including firewall and anti-virus
-ran MaxMem to clean out RAM prior to starting BF2
-completely uninstalled and reinstalled Nvidia drivers

What's really confusing is that there was one day that I was able to
play 1024x768 with AA x4, most settings medium with a couple on high and
FPS was 30s-40s. It was great! It makes me wonder what the actual cause
of the choppiness is.

Any suggestions?

More about : graphics choppy

July 3, 2005 4:08:07 PM

Jerry wrote:
> Biostar MB w/ AMD XP 2200+, 1G PC3200 DDR with latest drivers
> On-board sound with latest drivers (I know but no open slot for sound
> card). Sound is set for Software, low, EAX off and VOIP off.
> Leadtek A 6600GT THD w/ 128M, latest 77.72 drivers
>
> The best I can normally do to have it playable (20-30 FPS) with minimal
> choppiness seems to be either 800x600 with graphics settings on medium
> or 1024x768 with graphics on low. Both of these on 16 player maps and AA
> off. Ranked or not doesn't seem to matter. Larger maps or increasing
> settings and FPS drops.I really like the higher resolution but watching
> the grass grow in front of me as I move is a bit weird.
>
> I tried all these with no noticeable effect:
> -updated PB using pbweb.exe
> -defrag hard disk
> -turned off all background tasks including firewall and anti-virus
> -ran MaxMem to clean out RAM prior to starting BF2
> -completely uninstalled and reinstalled Nvidia drivers
also over-clocked the 6600GT

> What's really confusing is that there was one day that I was able to
> play 1024x768 with AA x4, most settings medium with a couple on high and
> FPS was 30s-40s. It was great! It makes me wonder what the actual cause
> of the choppiness is.
>
> Any suggestions?
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 6:20:54 AM

I was having serious performance problems on Saturday night, I turned
sdown all my settings etc, nothing helped. Tried several different
servers, all of them were laggy. Eventually found a good server and
everything worked like a dream (64 players), with hardly a hint of
jitter or lag.

I think 64 player games require big servers, and many of the ones
currently running are just not up to it....
Related resources
July 4, 2005 9:23:34 AM

"Jerry" <jerry@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Biostar MB w/ AMD XP 2200+, 1G PC3200 DDR with latest drivers
> On-board sound with latest drivers (I know but no open slot for sound
> card). Sound is set for Software, low, EAX off and VOIP off.
> Leadtek A 6600GT THD w/ 128M, latest 77.72 drivers
>
> The best I can normally do to have it playable (20-30 FPS) with minimal
> choppiness seems to be either 800x600 with graphics settings on medium or
> 1024x768 with graphics on low. Both of these on 16 player maps and AA off.
> Ranked or not doesn't seem to matter. Larger maps or increasing settings
> and FPS drops.I really like the higher resolution but watching the grass
> grow in front of me as I move is a bit weird.
>
> I tried all these with no noticeable effect:
> -updated PB using pbweb.exe
> -defrag hard disk
> -turned off all background tasks including firewall and anti-virus
> -ran MaxMem to clean out RAM prior to starting BF2
> -completely uninstalled and reinstalled Nvidia drivers
>
> What's really confusing is that there was one day that I was able to play
> 1024x768 with AA x4, most settings medium with a couple on high and FPS
> was 30s-40s. It was great! It makes me wonder what the actual cause of the
> choppiness is.
>
> Any suggestions?

Maybe try changing the AGP aperture setting in BIOS up higher (usually set
at 64mb default) to 128mb. Could be that your graphics card memory is
getting overloaded with all the textures.
July 4, 2005 9:23:35 AM

Lou wrote:
> "Jerry" <jerry@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>
>>Biostar MB w/ AMD XP 2200+, 1G PC3200 DDR with latest drivers
>>On-board sound with latest drivers (I know but no open slot for sound
>>card). Sound is set for Software, low, EAX off and VOIP off.
>>Leadtek A 6600GT THD w/ 128M, latest 77.72 drivers
>>
>>The best I can normally do to have it playable (20-30 FPS) with minimal
>>choppiness seems to be either 800x600 with graphics settings on medium or
>>1024x768 with graphics on low. Both of these on 16 player maps and AA off.
>>Ranked or not doesn't seem to matter. Larger maps or increasing settings
>>and FPS drops.I really like the higher resolution but watching the grass
>>grow in front of me as I move is a bit weird.
>>
>>I tried all these with no noticeable effect:
>>-updated PB using pbweb.exe
>>-defrag hard disk
>>-turned off all background tasks including firewall and anti-virus
>>-ran MaxMem to clean out RAM prior to starting BF2
>>-completely uninstalled and reinstalled Nvidia drivers
>>
>>What's really confusing is that there was one day that I was able to play
>>1024x768 with AA x4, most settings medium with a couple on high and FPS
>>was 30s-40s. It was great! It makes me wonder what the actual cause of the
>>choppiness is.
>>
>>Any suggestions?
>

> Maybe try changing the AGP aperture setting in BIOS up higher (usually set
> at 64mb default) to 128mb. Could be that your graphics card memory is
> getting overloaded with all the textures.

Forgot to mention that I already upped it from the default of 128M to 256M.

Today, while double-checking that I had changed the aperture I noticed a
setting for AGP fast write that was off. I figured fast is good so
turned it on and played a few rounds. I was able to go to 32 player,
1024x768 with mostly medium settings, depending on the server.

One server was so bad that it was choppy as I turned then the view
actually turned back the other way. Several players were complaining
about it. I really wonder how much of the choppiness is really due to
the servers as I try to stick with relatively low ping rate servers. But
considering how well the browser works, who knows if the ping is correct.

I also noticed several settings for AGP write at 1 ms which were also
off. Maybe I'll try changing them too.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 9:23:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942,alt.games.ea.battlefield (More info?)

> One server was so bad that it was choppy as I turned then the view
> actually turned back the other way. Several players were complaining about
> it. I really wonder how much of the choppiness is really due to the
> servers as I try to stick with relatively low ping rate servers. But
> considering how well the browser works, who knows if the ping is correct.
>
> I also noticed several settings for AGP write at 1 ms which were also off.
> Maybe I'll try changing them too.

Do you think it might just be laggy servers ? I have that sort of problem to
.. Like hiccups and slow down. But thats when im online. Try just playing
single player. Single player plays great everything high except for medium
textures and 2xaa. I have a 6800 vanilla, but im goin to a gt for the
256mb. I would like to play at my lcds native reso and with high textures.
Right now i play at 1028X768 setting. I think thats right or around there.
Im also adding another 512mb of memory. I currently have a gig.
July 4, 2005 4:08:00 PM

lonesw0rdsman wrote:
> Do you think it might just be laggy servers ? I have that sort of problem to
> . Like hiccups and slow down. But thats when im online. Try just playing
> single player. Single player plays great everything high except for medium
> textures and 2xaa. I have a 6800 vanilla, but im goin to a gt for the
> 256mb. I would like to play at my lcds native reso and with high textures.
> Right now i play at 1028X768 setting. I think thats right or around there.
> Im also adding another 512mb of memory. I currently have a gig.

I suspect so. Like I said I had one day where the play was great. I've
been watching my memory usage and, after a reboot, I've played several
16 and 32 players maps at various servers. According to the commit
charge in Task Manager my memory usage never went above 950M so it
doesn't seem to be memory limited.
July 5, 2005 3:07:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942,alt.games.ea.battlefield (More info?)

"Jerry" <jerry@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Biostar MB w/ AMD XP 2200+, 1G PC3200 DDR with latest drivers
> On-board sound with latest drivers (I know but no open slot for sound
> card). Sound is set for Software, low, EAX off and VOIP off.
> Leadtek A 6600GT THD w/ 128M, latest 77.72 drivers
>
> The best I can normally do to have it playable (20-30 FPS) with minimal
> choppiness seems to be either 800x600 with graphics settings on medium or
> 1024x768 with graphics on low. Both of these on 16 player maps and AA off.
> Ranked or not doesn't seem to matter. Larger maps or increasing settings
> and FPS drops.I really like the higher resolution but watching the grass
> grow in front of me as I move is a bit weird.
>
> I tried all these with no noticeable effect:
> -updated PB using pbweb.exe
> -defrag hard disk
> -turned off all background tasks including firewall and anti-virus
> -ran MaxMem to clean out RAM prior to starting BF2
> -completely uninstalled and reinstalled Nvidia drivers
>
> What's really confusing is that there was one day that I was able to play
> 1024x768 with AA x4, most settings medium with a couple on high and FPS
> was 30s-40s. It was great! It makes me wonder what the actual cause of the
> choppiness is.
>
> Any suggestions?

As per other posts, I have just changed my AGP aperture size to 256 instead
of 128 and there has been a big improvement - cut down stutter to nearly
nothing.

I have also turned AGP fast writes off, but not sure if this has made a
difference at all as yet.

I have: Athlon 2.2, 1GB ram, GFX 5900XT, SB Audigy. Running I think at
1024x768 with most detail on medium.. Draw dist on high and I think that's
it.
July 6, 2005 1:39:29 AM

"Schrodinger" <no@way.com> wrote in message

> "Jerry" <jerry@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Biostar MB w/ AMD XP 2200+, 1G PC3200 DDR with latest drivers
>> On-board sound with latest drivers (I know but no open slot for sound
>> card). Sound is set for Software, low, EAX off and VOIP off.
>> Leadtek A 6600GT THD w/ 128M, latest 77.72 drivers
>>
>> The best I can normally do to have it playable (20-30 FPS) with minimal
>> choppiness seems to be either 800x600 with graphics settings on medium or
>> 1024x768 with graphics on low. Both of these on 16 player maps and AA
>> off. Ranked or not doesn't seem to matter. Larger maps or increasing
>> settings and FPS drops.I really like the higher resolution but watching
>> the grass grow in front of me as I move is a bit weird.
>>
>> I tried all these with no noticeable effect:
>> -updated PB using pbweb.exe
>> -defrag hard disk
>> -turned off all background tasks including firewall and anti-virus
>> -ran MaxMem to clean out RAM prior to starting BF2
>> -completely uninstalled and reinstalled Nvidia drivers
>>
>> What's really confusing is that there was one day that I was able to play
>> 1024x768 with AA x4, most settings medium with a couple on high and FPS
>> was 30s-40s. It was great! It makes me wonder what the actual cause of
>> the choppiness is.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> As per other posts, I have just changed my AGP aperture size to 256
> instead of 128 and there has been a big improvement - cut down stutter to
> nearly nothing.
>
> I have also turned AGP fast writes off, but not sure if this has made a
> difference at all as yet.
>
> I have: Athlon 2.2, 1GB ram, GFX 5900XT, SB Audigy. Running I think at
> 1024x768 with most detail on medium.. Draw dist on high and I think that's
> it.

Can that. Back to normal today, must have been a fluke last night...
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 12:52:02 PM

Schrodinger left a note on my windscreen which said:

> Can that. Back to normal today, must have been a fluke last night...

Based on some of my experiences it seems that server performance can
affect your client's FPS. Could be you just found a bad server. Or I
could be wrong.
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]
July 6, 2005 12:52:03 PM

Stoneskin wrote:
> Schrodinger left a note on my windscreen which said:
>

>>Can that. Back to normal today, must have been a fluke last night...
>

> Based on some of my experiences it seems that server performance can
> affect your client's FPS. Could be you just found a bad server. Or I
> could be wrong.

I proved that again yesterday. Two different 32 player ranked servers,
both with pings in the 70s. The first was choppy, stuttering into
position and then it would jump backwards. Tanks or planes going by
would actually jump back and forth. The second was smooth as silk. On
both I had normal frame rates in the upper 20s/low 30s (best I've been
able to do consistently :^( )
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 8:56:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.battlefield1942,alt.games.ea.battlefield (More info?)

In article <3j29a7Fni45aU1@individual.net>, Bob@nowhere.com says...
> Stoneskin wrote:
> > Schrodinger left a note on my windscreen which said:
> >

> >>Can that. Back to normal today, must have been a fluke last night...
> >

> > Based on some of my experiences it seems that server performance can
> > affect your client's FPS. Could be you just found a bad server. Or I
> > could be wrong.
>
> I proved that again yesterday. Two different 32 player ranked servers,
> both with pings in the 70s. The first was choppy, stuttering into
> position and then it would jump backwards. Tanks or planes going by
> would actually jump back and forth. The second was smooth as silk. On
> both I had normal frame rates in the upper 20s/low 30s (best I've been
> able to do consistently :^( )

I've read somewhere that the linux-version of the dedicated server has
problems like this, also ctd when round ends.
--
Lansenerd
www.agbgaming.com

Lansenerd wrote:

> I've read somewhere that the linux-version of the dedicated server has
> problems like this, also ctd when round ends.

I hadn't heard that. I'll have to pay attention to the type of server.

Of course after these new patches all those rumors and rules of thumb
we've developed are no good ;^)
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 8:56:41 PM

Bob left a note on my windscreen which said:

> Of course after these new patches all those rumors and rules of thumb
> we've developed are no good ;^)

No, we'll have to devise a whole new set of thumb rules and rumor when
we find out what they've gone and broken this time ;)
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]
!