Cisco 6509 switch network connection labels

lyle

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

In our network of 20 schools, many of our network connections to our
switches were never labeled. I am wondering if there is a device that
I could connect to each cable and have it trace back to the individual
PC's to retreive the NetBIOS names - we have named each machine
according to the room it is in - this would allow me to then label
where each cable/drop was in the building or at least narrow it down?
Please reply to my email address. Thanks for any and all help!

Lyle
lyle82@msn.com

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

ok first go to the script center on technet.microsoft.com, find or write a
VBScript that will give you the workstations MAC address and Netbios names
in a text file or spreadsheet..
Then connect to the switch console in privledged mode and do a "sho cam" ( i
think check www.cisco.com for the correct syntax or you switch OS version)
that will give you the MAC addresses the switch shows connected to each
port. with these two pices of info you should then be able to label all your
ports.

jwm

"Lyle" <lyleosborne@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> In our network of 20 schools, many of our network connections to our
> switches were never labeled. I am wondering if there is a device that
> I could connect to each cable and have it trace back to the individual
> PC's to retreive the NetBIOS names - we have named each machine
> according to the room it is in - this would allow me to then label
> where each cable/drop was in the building or at least narrow it down?
> Please reply to my email address. Thanks for any and all help!
>
> Lyle
> lyle82@msn.com

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

goto
http://www.windowsitpro.com/WindowsScripting/Article/ArticleID/16296/16296.html
read the article, there's a link in there almost at the bottom to find the
download of the tool described